Winopee Lake Trail

Winopee Lake Trail is a 13.4 mile out and back trail located near La Pine, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 13.4 miles Elevation Gain: 741 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Bend: Travel 46 miles west and south on Cascade Lakes Highway (46), then west on F.S. Rd. 4635 for 3 miles to reach the Winopee Trailhead.

This is a relatively easy mostly well maintained trail. We visited Teddy Lakes on our way in and the larger lake had a place to camp and the lake was beautiful and accessible. We continued on to Lake Winopee and camped on a rocky outcropping that had a lovely view of the lake, stars and moonrise. The one bummer was the lake edge has become overgrown with plants. There was no place to get into the lake. We tried walking out in a log but even that put us in muck up to our ankles and there was a lot of algae. We heard on our way out that Snowshoe Lake, only a half mile away, would have probably been a better choice. Some bugs but not too crazy.

Hiked on June 28th. As per the last review, mosquitoes were already ramping up. I only made it 3 miles before turning around due to thunderstorms. Nice trail with minimal blowdown. Cool forest, shady with views of lake off side trails. No bear in sight.

Great trail- lots of mosquitoes. Saw a big ol’ black bear right off the trail about 5 miles in.

Monday, May 07, 2018

Was a good trail, a little on the dusty side and was a little crowded by Cultus lake but once I got into the wilderness area it was a beautiful hike to a nice campsite over looking winopee lake

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

I started at the Cultus Lake trailhead for the Winopee Lake trail. Beautiful spots along the trail to jump into Cultus lake. Trail is dense forest and very dusty. I turned off of the Winopee lakes trial to go to Teddy Lakes. I did not track it but guess it was about 9 miles out and back. I highly recommend Teddy Lakes. Beautiful secluded lake. Train ends but about 300 feet east along the lake is a site all prepped for backpacking. Awesome swim!!!

Monday, August 24, 2015

I hiked this trail from Cultus Lake up to the Snoeshow Lake trail. Muskrat Lake is a great camping spot as there is a feeder stream on the north side.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hiked about 3 1/2 miles up this trail. It follows along the eastern edge of Cultus Lake and then veers further north. A variety of wildflowers in bloom, but the trail is very dusty and heavily wooded.

Friday, September 14, 2018