Wildwood Trail

Wildwood Trail is a 29.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Portland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 29.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,772 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Wildwood trail may be temporarily closed. Please check the the park page for more information: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/article/422538

I started at Newberry and ended at Cornell road. Easy trail, and very peaceful, but homogenous— lots of forest greenery, but no open views.

Great workout and a beautiful well-kept trail. Not for someone with bad knees.

Firelane, to water line, loop back to parking lot. very pretty hike. good for beginners, easy for an avid hiker.

A little muddy today. Did fire lane 1 to wildwood mile post 11 to 16, then saltzman road to Leif Erikson then back up fire lane 1 to get he gate.

I completed the Lower Macleay trail then continued on with this trail. Wasnt able to finish, definitely more moderate level for me than easy like Macleay was. However, was made significantly harder by the weather conditions, very rainy making it very muddy and slippery, to the point that I fell right before the parking section about half way through the trail. Without those conditions, I would've been able finish it, but still beautiful trail moderately challenging overall. Not as accessible as Macleay, would not suggest for anyone with any sort of needed mobility devices or canes/sticks. Lot more rocky, elevation changes, and smaller width trails.

Amazing trail and you would never even know you’re in the middle of a large city. Pretty easy to follow this trail if you’re new too- lots of turn offs and you can easily add a lot more mileage!

We didn't get to complete the entire loop because my pup ended up having some difficulty. We complete about 9miles and looped back. Overall a beautiful hike. Will definitely go back to do the whole thing.

closed

End-to-end is a fantastic way to spend a day. Forest Park is beautiful. magical and having this opportunity in the middle of a city is one not to be missed. The trail is well-maintained and not difficult. (Forest Park Conservancy in conjunction with the city, keep this trail in great shape!) Be sure to bring the food you will need for the day and enough water. Layers as well. Enjoy!!

Nice urban hike opportunity! Gorgeous flora and fauna. Majestic redwoods. Well traveled trails that are very well marked and have good signage.

Great place for trail running. Just get on the trail and go!

I've hiked the full trail on a few different occasions. Parts are well-trafficked and there were other stretched where I wouldn't see anyone. Cool stuff to see along the way such as the stone house and the view from Pittock Mansion. Bring lots of water. I brought too little once anticipating I could fill up at Pittock Mansion but the water faucets were shut off.

I only hiked Wildwood trail from Cornell Rd to Pittock Mansion and back, which makes it a 3 mile out and back trail. I parked just outside the car tunnel off Cornell Rd. There's a pull off there for about 6 cars. The Tunnel Trail leads from there and connects with Cumberland Trail, which then joins Wildwood trail to Pittock Mansion. Hiking up to the mansion was steep but not unbearable. It will get your heart pumping and you'll feel quite refreshed at the top. Expect to meet several hikers along the way (I did this hike at 3pm on a Sunday and met 8-10 people on the trail, so I imagine it would be even more on a Saturday afternoon). The trail signs are really lacking. That's my only complaint. There are not enough maps of the area to tell you exactly where each trail leads, nor are there any mileages listed on the signs. Maybe on other parts of the trail it's better, but where I was was quite confusing. The trail itself was well groomed and very wide. They just need more signs!

One of the best urban trails in America!

Lots of places to get on and off the trail. it was busy but still very nice.

its s bit confusing but will definitely be going back to explore everything else Around the area.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Trail ran this during June last year, upper parts are not as travelled and would make great for day hikes away from most people. Crowded near Fire lane 1, Hardesty Trail any where that runs along Saltzman road and Hoyt Arboretum. Nothing of significant grade and extremely well kept, they even put a bunch of new seats near the north end.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Forest Park is one of my favorites and this trail is one of the best. It’s cool, shady, and peaceful with little to moderate traffic. I recommend going in spring or summer for the full lush, PNW forest effect. The climb is steep in some parts but I wouldn’t say it’s too challenging.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Walked about 4 miles after visiting Pittock Mansion. Trailhead just off parking lot.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Did the 30+ mile thru hike. Took us about 12.5 hours point-to-point with ample rest/stretch/feed time and a detour to Pittock Mansion. It’s pretty much just walking through a bunch of forest for a reeeeeally long time. Super shaded so not too hot, but definitely Mosquito City. If you’re looking to do the thru-hike, I’d suggest starting at the southern trailhead in order to get the majority of your elevation gain out of the way before you get tired/sore. Also, you’ll be more likely to take the extra quarter mile to check out the Pittock Mansion viewpoint which is stunning and the only view you will get on this hike. Also, be prepared to share the trail with like, everyone in Portland. Overall, a good time.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Did Wildwood and branched off to Redwood....It was beautiful and I suggest going early on the weekend. The only concern I had were some of the paths were skinny and there were a number of fast runners that would blaze by without much warning...we were on a skinny path with a drop-off and I felt like I was going to be pushed over.....so just be aware of pounding feet behind you, otherwise excellent.

Sunday, May 20, 2018

I absolutely love the parts of this trail I’ve hiked, and I’m so intrigued by every trail that branches off, I get more and more excited about going back. It’s gorgeous and challenging and it’s wonderful in every type of weather, and it’s really hard to resist stopping and taking photos of everything.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

You’ll break a sweat with this hike up and down.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

I loved this trail. I hiked it a few times. Lots of beautiful trees and flowers.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

I haven't hiked the whole 30 miles of it but this is a great trail because there are so many other options to branch off of and cool places to see.

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Started the Wildwood Trail off of SW Fischer Lane. Also hit the Redwood and Oak trail. Did not go through the whole 27 mile loop of Wildwood but all trails we hit north of the Visitor Center was very enjoyable. Our starting point of the Wildwood was intensely green and vegetated. Oak trail not so much but for a sunny day in Portland, with very limited run ins with other hikers it was an enjoyable outing. Far more of a decent walk than what I would consider a "hike".

Thursday, February 08, 2018