Wildwood Trail

Wildwood Trail is a 27.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Portland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

End-to-end is a fantastic way to spend a day. Forest Park is beautiful. magical and having this opportunity in the middle of a city is one not to be missed. The trail is well-maintained and not difficult. (Forest Park Conservancy in conjunction with the city, keep this trail in great shape!) Be sure to bring the food you will need for the day and enough water. Layers as well. Enjoy!!

Nice urban hike opportunity! Gorgeous flora and fauna. Majestic redwoods. Well traveled trails that are very well marked and have good signage.

Great place for trail running. Just get on the trail and go!

I've hiked the full trail on a few different occasions. Parts are well-trafficked and there were other stretched where I wouldn't see anyone. Cool stuff to see along the way such as the stone house and the view from Pittock Mansion. Bring lots of water. I brought too little once anticipating I could fill up at Pittock Mansion but the water faucets were shut off.

I only hiked Wildwood trail from Cornell Rd to Pittock Mansion and back, which makes it a 3 mile out and back trail. I parked just outside the car tunnel off Cornell Rd. There's a pull off there for about 6 cars. The Tunnel Trail leads from there and connects with Cumberland Trail, which then joins Wildwood trail to Pittock Mansion.

Hiking up to the mansion was steep but not unbearable. It will get your heart pumping and you'll feel quite refreshed at the top. Expect to meet several hikers along the way (I did this hike at 3pm on a Sunday and met 8-10 people on the trail, so I imagine it would be even more on a Saturday afternoon).

The trail signs are really lacking. That's my only complaint. There are not enough maps of the area to tell you exactly where each trail leads, nor are there any mileages listed on the signs. Maybe on other parts of the trail it's better, but where I was was quite confusing. The trail itself was well groomed and very wide. They just need more signs!

One of the best urban trails in America!

Lots of places to get on and off the trail. it was busy but still very nice.

its s bit confusing but will definitely be going back to explore everything else Around the area.

Trail ran this during June last year, upper parts are not as travelled and would make great for day hikes away from most people. Crowded near Fire lane 1, Hardesty Trail any where that runs along Saltzman road and Hoyt Arboretum. Nothing of significant grade and extremely well kept, they even put a bunch of new seats near the north end.

Forest Park is one of my favorites and this trail is one of the best. It’s cool, shady, and peaceful with little to moderate traffic. I recommend going in spring or summer for the full lush, PNW forest effect. The climb is steep in some parts but I wouldn’t say it’s too challenging.

Walked about 4 miles after visiting Pittock Mansion. Trailhead just off parking lot.

Did the 30+ mile thru hike. Took us about 12.5 hours point-to-point with ample rest/stretch/feed time and a detour to Pittock Mansion. It’s pretty much just walking through a bunch of forest for a reeeeeally long time. Super shaded so not too hot, but definitely Mosquito City. If you’re looking to do the thru-hike, I’d suggest starting at the southern trailhead in order to get the majority of your elevation gain out of the way before you get tired/sore. Also, you’ll be more likely to take the extra quarter mile to check out the Pittock Mansion viewpoint which is stunning and the only view you will get on this hike. Also, be prepared to share the trail with like, everyone in Portland. Overall, a good time.

Did Wildwood and branched off to Redwood....It was beautiful and I suggest going early on the weekend. The only concern I had were some of the paths were skinny and there were a number of fast runners that would blaze by without much warning...we were on a skinny path with a drop-off and I felt like I was going to be pushed over.....so just be aware of pounding feet behind you, otherwise excellent.

I absolutely love the parts of this trail I’ve hiked, and I’m so intrigued by every trail that branches off, I get more and more excited about going back. It’s gorgeous and challenging and it’s wonderful in every type of weather, and it’s really hard to resist stopping and taking photos of everything.

You’ll break a sweat with this hike up and down.

I loved this trail. I hiked it a few times. Lots of beautiful trees and flowers.

I haven't hiked the whole 30 miles of it but this is a great trail because there are so many other options to branch off of and cool places to see.

Started the Wildwood Trail off of SW Fischer Lane. Also hit the Redwood and Oak trail. Did not go through the whole 27 mile loop of Wildwood but all trails we hit north of the Visitor Center was very enjoyable. Our starting point of the Wildwood was intensely green and vegetated. Oak trail not so much but for a sunny day in Portland, with very limited run ins with other hikers it was an enjoyable outing. Far more of a decent walk than what I would consider a "hike".

Thursday, February 08, 2018

20 minutes from my front door, great trail for training

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Can be crowded

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Very good trail

Friday, December 29, 2017

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Was a great hike. Perhaps I didn’t go on the correct trail, but the one I went on didn’t seem hard at all.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

I hiked some sections of this trail. Really good trail to hike anytime of the year! I was disappointed that the witch castle was vandalized. Nevertheless, this trail is great for Portlanders who want to hike and do not want to drive too far out to do it. AND...I saw some banana slugs here!

Monday, October 16, 2017

Walked my dog a couple miles today. Beautiful wooded path. Well kept, vey quiet and pleasant. Only saw three other people. I have a dachshund and it wasn’t too difficult for her little legs so I’m sure we”ll go back again.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Love it!!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Not hard at all.. It's probably rated hard because the full trail is 30 miles. This is just a loooong walk through the woods, which is magical and beautiful, but this trail is mostly used for trail running and families walking their dogs. Hardly any elevation gain, no 'views', just beautiful Oregon forest!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Great view at the top of the city!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

I'm new to Portland and WOWIE it is amazing to have a sanctuary like this in my (near enough) backyard!!! Getting lost in Forest Park is awesome, the greenery is meditative and beautiful. I would recommend it to anyone -- I first did it alone and it is a very safe feeling hike for lady hikers like myself, there seem to be a lot of people on the trail but it feels more communal than overwhelming. People really respect the nature here -- never goin' back to LA!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Gorgeous hike, magnificent sequoias, definitely challenging. Planning on doing it in sections, every Sunday, until I get it done. This time, a 10-mile round-trip from the zoo.