Whetstone Peak to Opal Creek Loop

Whetstone Peak to Opal Creek Loop is a 15.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elkhorn, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I like loop trails. Did this one in April, though the east side of the Peak was covered in deep snow. There's no real water source on the hike up, but the far side of Whetstone has a few streams before you reach Battle Axe creek, though likely seasonal. The Whetstone peak climb was poorly maintained (as of 4/16). The lower trail system before you get to Opal Creek has a number of choices. They all pretty much go the same place at the end...the Interpretive Center.

Trail was reasonably well marked and while you had to climb a couple logs, I would call it pretty well maintained. Battle axe creek crossing is a bit tricky, as it is not well marked and there is a camping area with several potty trails to fake you out. The whetstone peak view is pretty nice, but its a long hike for a single vista. Hiked in mid august.

We did this trail on August 1. We did the loop counterclockwise. The day was quite warm and in the home stretch, there was no water. I would recommend the opposite direction because multiple water sources can be found from Battle Axe back out. As we are a bit older (late 50's) it took us about eight hours to do this route. I would concur with the previous review, about the downed trees and other hindrances across the trail to and past Whetstone Mt.

SO MANY PEOPLE. Completely defeated the whole idea of escaping into the wilderness. Unsupervised children running around everywhere, even at dark!! Felt like I was trying to hike through a large summer camp. beautiful location but beyond highly trafficked.

My wife and I just tried this trail yesterday, and had originally intended to follow the ridgeline to the Bagby trail and ultimately Elk Lake. We gave up at descended 3369 back to Battle Ax Creek after discovering how poorly maintained the ridge of this trail is. Loads of downed trees, as well as sapling growing up out of the trail itself. Bummer.

founds snow at 2700 feet and turned around at 3100 do to deep snow. Otherwise great hike and stunning views

Tuesday, November 29, 2016