Walterville Pond Loop

Walterville Pond Loop is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Thurston, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I've walked here at least three times a week for 18 years. Going in two years now eweb decided not to repair the dam. The pond emptied but fills some with rain.
They filled. The void with cotton wood trees. They don't maintain the picnic area located in the back section and is overcome by blackberry bushes that people have there homes in. I've encountered a baby cougar, deer, elk, black bear and coyotes. Be carful on the backside all encounters were there. You'll see the game trails.

Easy little hike to do with the kids, or to look for different birds. Lots of Great Blue Heron's, Turkey Vultures and wildflowers every time I am here. I'm told there is great habitat for hunting Bullfrog's, though I have never tried myself. Gravel path all the way around the pond with almost no elevation change makes for an easy walk with the little kids or pregnant wife. Doesn't get five stars just because it is almost all in the sun and it is too short for me to warrant a full five stars.