Wahtum Lake to Tomlike Mountain

Wahtum Lake to Tomlike Mountain is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hood River, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Did a lollipop route via Wahtum Express -> PCT -> Herman Creek Trail to Tomlike Mtn, then returned on the Anthill trail. Was surprised to see snow still lingering (guess I shouldn't be), but only on Herman Creek Trail & the start of Anthill. Easy to tackle though, maybe a week or so of warm weather till it's all gone. Kinda muddy and water-logged in places as a result. A few blowdowns on Herman Creek too, nothing crazy.

The path up Tomlike is not an official trail and is unsigned. The turnoff is about a 100 ft east of the Anthill junction, on a switchback. I heard it's a scramble/bushwack type of deal, but that's only partially true - there are clear boot paths you can follow. A few times the way is obscured by brush or when it crosses bare rock - I had a few "ok, now what?" moments - but with a little effort could always re-find the trail. It's on a ridge that narrows, so pretty hard to mess up. I had no off-trail experience and did ok, but maybe not a good hike for your first time out.

There are 2 tricky parts: about 1/4 way through if you follow the same use-trail I did (which mostly hugs the right/East-side of the ridge at first) you'll see a hill of rocks and it's unclear whether you should go up or around. The solution was to just go straight up it. Cairns are supposed to mark the way, but didn't really see any; I added one to help.

About 2/3 way through you'll hit a much more massive jumble of rocks (slate?)... Again, the goal is just get to the top best you can. Luckily the rocks have pretty good traction. If you squint you can make out flattened paths people have used. The middle way seems best (as opposed to the far right or left sides) - you can't skirt around it, from what I could see. I tried on the way back and really tired myself out getting back on track.

As for the destination itself? Even though Chinidere Mtn is taller, Tomlike is more scenic imho. Wildflowers, perfect views of Hood, St Helens, Adams (& distant Goat Rocks), and even Rainier poking out. Majestic af. Windy. Plus the solitude - on a Saturday afternoon 4th of July weekend with the Wahtum lot packed, had the whole place to myself. Anthill Trail on the way back was also lonesome - and had neat view looking down Wahtum Lake plus more Hood (w/Mt Jeff as a bonus), some glimpses of the eastern Gorge area. Am I breaking some sort of hiker's code talking about this? It's much too good for me to be the only one there.