Wahkeena Falls Trail

Wahkeena Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 915 feet Route Type: Out & Back

REOPEN current title says it's closed but I did this trail on August 18th, 2019, and it's reopened. Was a great hike to get out and stretch our legs at the end of our road trip. Trek to the waterfall is kid friendly.

Great views of several waterfalls and many cascades. There are some great overlooks along the way. The hike has some strenuous sections but overall it’s a moderate hike.

Beautiful, highly recommend. Busy around Multnomah. Read 5.7 miles on Google Fit which almost messed up our childcare arrangements

fantastic trail taking both major water falls and multiple smaller ones, plus fantastic views over the river.

We went up the trail clock wise, beautiful afternoon hike, lots of water in all the falls, lite wind. Fairy falls to the end has lots of growth! But still easy to navigate

The specific trail I was trying to go on was closed because of the fires.

Not much to see at devil's rest, but a good work out getting up to it. Continuing on from there to Angels rest and resting there to enjoy the view strongly recommended. about 1.5 miles between the too (for some reason the app didn't track it on my recording). This loop goes in and out of the eagle creek fire zone, so some parts are lacking in lush green undergrowth and a few streches you can see the fire completely killed the large pines. :(

The loop is closed but you can hike about two miles up the falls. Paved and shaded most of the way. Pretty steep incline up and not overly crowded. Really beautiful hiking along the water. Great trail for our pup as well. We enjoyed this for a quick and close day hike.

I’ve been out to Multnomah Falls many times, but never have I walked west towards Wakeena instead of Multnomah- and I am so glad I did! The trail today was beautiful and dry, the weather was perfect for this hike (4/25/19). There was no ice or insane amount of mud along any part of the trail I trekked as far as fairy falls and chose not to go farther because of the mud and rocks. I inquired at the visitor center when I got back and they said it was good I stopped there because the trail did get muddy after fairy falls (& is closed not much farther in either direction on both trail #419 and #420). I loved how many little waterfalls and streams you pass along the way. I will be back. This trail is a nice one.

closed

Closed past the waterfall (.2 miles from trailhead) due to landslides. Best to wait for the trail to re-open.

Right now the larch mountain portion is very treacherous. Ice and snow hides the trail and in some places hikers are 3 feet above the actual trail walking on compressed ice and snow. Some of the switchbacks have no safe way down. I was saved from a long fall after slipping and sliding down 15 feet and halting when I hit small rock outcrop and my trek pole dug into snow and dirt! Wait for the snow to melt off the trails!!

Always a favorite and the wintery look did not disappoint. The switchbacks to Lemmons Viewpoint are very icy and treacherous. Micro Spikes highly recommended. From there, the trail to the springs is packed snow. Beware of rock falls. The forest is burned, but healthy and recovering.

Very fun trail to hike. Though it's only about 5 miles (we started and ended at Wahkeena Falls, did the loop and saw Multnomah and walked back to our car at Wahkeena) it has a huge elevation gain of 1600ft. Since the Eagle Creek fire, the plant life seems to be growing back and is very beautiful but there are multiple places where the trail is much smaller than normal due to rockslides and wet conditions. Also be prepared for wind if you hike during winter season, I wish I would've brought tissues. Another thing to keep in mind is the sun disappears sooner because it is set back in the mountains (I brought a headlamp). My advice is be prepared for tons of switch backs, careful balancing, and beautiful views.

This trail and loop around back to the top of Multnomah falls is open and is in pretty good condition as of earlier this week! Some burn but the falls are still amazing.

It’s definitely open now, and it was just lovely to hike again. Highly recommend!

Monday, August 06, 2018

Trail Is Still Closed At This Time. The Historic Columbia River Highway is Closed Until Further Notice. This Includes Trails Between Bridal Veil Falls and Multnomah, and Trails Between Multnomah and Ainsworth State Park. The Road Is Only Open To State Troopers, Game and WildLife Patrolmen, and Residents That Live On That Road. Anyone Caught Trying To Hike Said Trails Are Fined. This Is All Due To The Bad Fire They Had Last Year And Several Told Me They Aren't Sure When It Should Be Open. One Trooper Told Me It's Looking Like It Will Be June 2019. :( That Means Oneonta George, Oneonta Falls, Horsetail Falls, Ponytail Falls, Larch Mountain Overlook, Fairy Falls, & Wahkeena Falls Are All Closed Until Further Notice. If You Are Looking For Alternatives, You Can Look Into Multnomah Falls & Trails, Latourell Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and Vista House. You Can Also Take A Drive To Ramona Falls.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Challenging little hike, lots of elevation gain in a short amount of time, (was a gorgeous trail), unknown what it looks like now after the fire this past September. Not even sure when it will be open again, :( You get to see two very nice waterfalls though if & when it ever does open up again!