Wahkeena Falls to Devils Rest and Angels Rest Loop

Wahkeena Falls to Devils Rest and Angels Rest Loop is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and ice climbing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,814 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful trail. Plenty of water and outstanding creek flow and water falls. Definitely dog friendly. My Saint Bernard has been by my side for both excursions. This trail is on the harder side. About 2300 feet elevation gain in less than 4 miles. Definitely a booty burner. I have done the full Loop twice and I will say this trail offers one of the most beautiful unaltered conifer rainforest experiences that I have found in the Columbia gorge. Both times I have done it, after 1500 feet elevation gain, the trail becomes quiet and secluded. Enjoy it. And of course, stay on the trail and pack out what you packed in.

My siblings & I had such a fun time hiking this trail! The walk up is a little tough at first but you get used to it & the view is continuously amazing!

quite fun! rocky in places and muddy between devils and Angel's rest. I would avoid running this trail as there are many slippery rocks that are barely visible.

This is one of my faves. Quite a bit of burnt trees in this area tho from the fires. Pretty falls!

I started at the Wahkeena Falls parking lot, went up to the intersection and went left to Devils Rest trail 420C and followed it to Devils Rest then continued to Angels Rest and then went back on trail 415 to the parking area. It took me about 1 hour and 55 minutes to get to Devils Rest, but I am a slow 62 year old hiker. Counting time for lunch, rest stops, and viewing at Angels Rest, it took 5 hours and 40 minutes out and back. If you are going to do this hike, then you have to understand it's the activity itself that is the reward - there are no views at Devils Rest, although there is a gap in the trees on the way up due to the fire that allows you to see Mount Adams, and there are little in the way of views anywhere else excepting Angels Rest which will probably be packed with flip-floppers that came up the Bridal Veil trail. Overall the trail is easy to follow although very overgrown in several spots. Foxglove trail looked impenetrable.

The initial section of trail from the falls to the end of the asphalt trial was pretty awful on the return (about 3pm). Literally jammed with tourists, some playing music with blue tooth speakers. Fact is once past the bridge overlooking the falls and creek there is no reason for the flip flop wearers to continue. The rest of our hike we enjoyed fabulously.

Today was a beautiful day to hike. I started actually at Angels Rest Trailhead and the did the rest of this trail after getting to Angels Rest. The trail was easy to follow and dry! Beautiful views from Angels Rest and seeing the waterfalls at Wahkeena Falls was gorgeous! Steep trail getting up to Devils rest, and not much of a view but a great resting spot that is beautiful in the woods.

this hike was more like 12 miles. very pretty. over grown. started early in AM and was pretty crowded when I finished. took me about 4.5 hours to complete.

Pretty, a decent incline but kinda crowded.

It was an awesome trail, me and my fiancé hiked it and started around 11am Sunday May 26th and it was definitely challenging considering the amount of climbing you half to do to get through it all. Took us about 7 hours and angels rest is so worth it.

Hiked 5/4/19 and started at 5:45. We did not see many people until we started getting closer to the bottom around 9:00am. Very nice hike, although the view at Devil’s Rest isn’t one that I would go out of my way for again! It was definitely a little bit of a leg burner and the weather was perfect. Highly recommend!

Great trail. Trail to Multnomah Falls is out but still well worth the hike.

Beautiful trail!!

It's a beautiful trail with lots to offer, but the amount of people on the trail today was almost miserable. Next time I will get there very early in the morning to avoid the crowd.

What a beauty! I anticipated starting at Multnomah falls and hiking all the way around the loop, but there was a rock slide with an inability to pass (or says the info desk, a lady on the trail told me it’s practically open) anywho! I hiked from Multnomah falls over to Wahkeena Falls then to Angel’s rest. Get ready for a climb from the bottom of Wahkeena to angels rest. But it’s worth it! Beautiful falls, views and forest (although burned throughout). I totaled about 11 miles there and back. Even though I didn’t do the loop the way back was rewarding instead and gives a great perspective! I’ll be back!

This ended up being more like 10-11 miles by the time we walked back to the car. The weather was perfect and the trail was quite good. A few spots were a bit muddy but manageable with hiking shoes. The trail recently reopened and was in good condition. Was my first time back since the fire and it was beautiful to see the changes in nature. Arrived at 830 on Sunday and no issues with parking. Finished by 2pm with lots of chatting in between.

Trail is back open to Angel's Rest. It's a bit snowy towards the top, and the trail is washed out in places. Not an easy or safe trek - only go if you are experienced and sure of your feet. I brought my dog and she had a much easier time than I did on the snow/ice. VERY muddy from the recent snows and rains. Beautiful view at the top, but out on the trail you will see a lot of the remnants of the fire. It was truly heartbreaking. Also - this map is off, both trail wise and distance. I've suggested some edits. As you can see, this map does not actually include Angel's Rest as part of the loop. I'd suggest looking at: http://www.nwhiker.com/CGNSAHike08.html This makes it a 10 mile hike. You can make your own adjustments to make it be more like 7.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

great views and a few beautiful waterfalls, the peak is a bit disappointing but the lack of crowding makes it great.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

So, first, this is not a 6.1 mile trail. Oregon Hikers has it at 7.5 and a few recording in here that look like the standard path have it at 7.2. I decided to do this pretty last minute after work on a Friday, and ultimately didn't finish because I didn't want to get caught in the forest after sundown and once I got going it was clear that 7.5 was more right than 6.1. Now that we've established that, I loved the first not-even-half of this hike! The Wahkeena trail is just wonderful, with lots of different scenery, multiple falls, and not too many places that are hard/dangerous to navigate. And if you end up doing an out and back it feels different coming down than going up. Near the top you find yourself in a forest that is pretty flat off to the left, with the occasional view from 2000' off to the right. I only passed a few people beyond the tourist points (don't tell, but after work gorge hikes are great that way). I'll likely be back very soon to do the whole trail, I'll just leave myself an extra hour.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A great hike! We did it clockwise, in the middle of a week. First part was moderately busy, until we split from Wahkeena trail and started climbing. This second part had lovely views along the way (though not at the peak, so make your photo/snack stop before...), and a very rewarding mix of berries to forage!! There were a few confusing locations with the trail covered by bushes, having the app's map was helpful. However there are many more potential extensions and splits, so if you have the time you can enjoy saying goodbye to the mentioned trail...

Saturday, June 03, 2017

The weather was perfect. We did the loop counterclockwise.

Friday, June 02, 2017

A very nice trail regardless of the insane amount of switchbacks it has, I did it counter clockwise and I see why people say do it clockwise. Nonetheless its a great trail especially going down and seeing all the waterfalls along the way. I did the Wakeena Loop to Devil's Rest (which ended up being a pile of rocks sadly but I guess that's where the name came from), then back down to the Wakeena Loop and finishing off at the Multnomah Falls overlook and lodge. I seriously got buns of steel now from Devil's Rest.

Friday, May 26, 2017

My all time favorite hike on a hot sunny day especially! Runs along water and lots of waterfalls. Wahkeena Springs is beautiful also and just a short stop off main trail.