Wahkeena Falls to Devils Rest and Angels Rest Loop (CLOSED) is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

closed

Saturday, July 29, 2017

great views and a few beautiful waterfalls, the peak is a bit disappointing but the lack of crowding makes it great.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

So, first, this is not a 6.1 mile trail. Oregon Hikers has it at 7.5 and a few recording in here that look like the standard path have it at 7.2. I decided to do this pretty last minute after work on a Friday, and ultimately didn't finish because I didn't want to get caught in the forest after sundown and once I got going it was clear that 7.5 was more right than 6.1.

Now that we've established that, I loved the first not-even-half of this hike! The Wahkeena trail is just wonderful, with lots of different scenery, multiple falls, and not too many places that are hard/dangerous to navigate. And if you end up doing an out and back it feels different coming down than going up.

Near the top you find yourself in a forest that is pretty flat off to the left, with the occasional view from 2000' off to the right. I only passed a few people beyond the tourist points (don't tell, but after work gorge hikes are great that way).

I'll likely be back very soon to do the whole trail, I'll just leave myself an extra hour.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A great hike! We did it clockwise, in the middle of a week. First part was moderately busy, until we split from Wahkeena trail and started climbing. This second part had lovely views along the way (though not at the peak, so make your photo/snack stop before...), and a very rewarding mix of berries to forage!!
There were a few confusing locations with the trail covered by bushes, having the app's map was helpful. However there are many more potential extensions and splits, so if you have the time you can enjoy saying goodbye to the mentioned trail...

Saturday, June 03, 2017

The weather was perfect. We did the loop counterclockwise.

Friday, June 02, 2017

A very nice trail regardless of the insane amount of switchbacks it has, I did it counter clockwise and I see why people say do it clockwise. Nonetheless its a great trail especially going down and seeing all the waterfalls along the way. I did the Wakeena Loop to Devil's Rest (which ended up being a pile of rocks sadly but I guess that's where the name came from), then back down to the Wakeena Loop and finishing off at the Multnomah Falls overlook and lodge. I seriously got buns of steel now from Devil's Rest.

Friday, May 26, 2017

My all time favorite hike on a hot sunny day especially! Runs along water and lots of waterfalls. Wahkeena Springs is beautiful also and just a short stop off main trail.

Monday, May 22, 2017

The falls are wonderful the rest, well, let's just call it a good workout in the woods

Sunday, May 21, 2017

You can get to Devils Rest from a lot of the other trails along the Gorge. I took Whakeena Falls. It was so pretty and soothing to be hiking along the waterfall til the junction up Devils Rest. I agree with the rest of you guys, The end point was a little disappointing but do pat yourself on the back after you make it all the way, lol. Killer workout!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

this hike was pretty fun! devils peak was a bit of a disappointment as far as WHAT youre hiking to goes, i recommend just hiking all the way to multnomah falls and loop back to your car. we did 10 miles i think in a couple hours, it was fun! good photos too

Friday, April 28, 2017

The wahkeena portion of this hike was breathtaking. Beware of mud!

Monday, April 10, 2017

I did this as a training hike before a climb up St Helens. this trail has a beautiful waterfall to distract you from the steep ascent at the start. you gain most of the 3000 in the first couple miles. after that it was relatively flat and even easy. but the first bit is not for wimpy hikers. I recommend this hike.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Thursday, November 10, 2016

It was an awesome challenge.. And a beautiful hike... Worth every step!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Went on 11/03/16. Fall color finished peaking a week or 2 prior. Lots of recent rain made the waterfalls along this route quite spectacular. Some brief views of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams as you ascend. Most of the hike is in closed canopy forest with some fairly large Doulas Fir scattered along the entire circuit. Get ready for how cool it is that Wahkeena Springs magically emerges right out of the ground. Most of the poison oak seems to be along the first mile or so. Remember to pack it out and stay safe.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Having missed the trail to Devil's Rest from the Angel's Rest hike, I decided to do it from Wahkena Falls. As others have pointed out, there isn't much reason to do Devil's Rest other than to say you did it. It is a nice climb through the woods with not much in the way of viewpoints. I went back via Larch Mountain Trail to Multnomah Falls and picked up an extra few falls that way. It was a fantastic day until I hit the crowds on the last mile to Multnomah Falls.

Monday, May 23, 2016

looks like this hike is getting underrated. start at wahkeena and make your way up. you will see 5 waterfalls through this hike. most people will turn around but if you make the full loop you won't be disappointed. less crowded as well

Sunday, April 10, 2016

it's an OK training hike the switch backs in the beginning will turn around some people but once past that it's just a walk in the forest the views are slim here and devils rest is just a bunch of rocks so stop and eat and head back down

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Took the loop to Angles Rest myself. Good hike!

Monday, February 01, 2016

Nothing spectacular but some good light snow hiking in the Winter

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

As others have reported there is no view at Devil’s Rest only a collect of large boulders set among trees. If you what to extend to full day hike continue passed the Rest down Foxglove trail to Angles Rest and back to Wahkeena Falls by way of the Angles Rest trail (trail # 415). At least this will give you a full day loop.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Great hike but never go to Devils Rest there's nothing to see, no overlook, just hoards of overgrown Devils clubs, and other thorns. I think there was a guy living up there on the back half, he may have been on something or a pirate.
The worst thing was after you get lost for the ninth time you may meet the other local residence. Packs of wild dogs rule this area!!! We lost 2 good men up there, they were husbands, fathers, men of merit. You will be missed Gordon and Hunter, we will always remember your sacrifice.
Beware

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Just stop after Wahkeena Falls! When you get to the sign that says devil's rest peak 1.6 TURN AROUND. There is NOTHING but a steep hike to nothing from there. Devil's Rest is just a rock someone left a garden gnome and some geo caching stuff at. That's it. If you do go up to Devil's Rest, for the love of God do not continue on and try to come out any other way than turning around and going back the way you came. The trails after that are not maintained and full of salmon berry briars. Not fun. But the falls? GORGEOUS. However, you've been warned.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Very pretty hike for the first half. No real view point at the top & if you blink and miss the sign you have no clue you're at Devil's Rest.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pretty easy hike. Lots of waterfalls.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Started out so lovely, with views of the falls, hiking up to Fairy Falls. Got to the clearing where the crowd thins out considerably, decided hey, why not get to the top of devils rest - miles in and we're wondering if this was a trick of the devil. Some interesting view points - walked through some fog/clouds - very cool. I'd say it wasn't quite worth making it to the top except to say we did it (hooray!). If you're only looking for views - you'll get a few, stop there and turn around, there is no view at the rest except lovely moss covered rocks. We were unsure if that was it as it was unmarked. We continued walking around and ventured off trail and it was unruly, turned around and triumphantly declared the moss covered boulders were it.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Intense! Started at Multnomah and headed up to Devil's. Trekked down an unmaintained trail and went down Wahkeena. Fairy Falls was a beauty! Great views and didn't see anyone for miles near Devil's.

Monday, August 04, 2014

we started at the lodge and hiked over to wahkeena falls and continued up to devils rest. was quite the hike for the two of us since we're novice hikers but had a ton of fun. not sure I would hike it again but the fact we gained that elevation and made it was rewarding

Monday, March 03, 2014

Did Wahkeena to Devil's Rest as part of a larger loop yesterday (3/1/14), by way of Angel's Rest. I had never hiked these trails previously so had no idea what to expect, and was not disappointed in any way. The trails were in surprisingly good shape for mid-winter and aside from some snow drifts across the trail here and there (most notably in the Multnomah Creek canyon), there were really no navignational challenges to speak of. The weather was crap, outside temp right about 30 with a good solid 20-30 knot wind I would say, so wind chill probably below 20 degrees, but properly geared that's not really a big deal. The payback for dealing with the weather is having the trail literally to yourself. Once I cleared the tourist pavement, I saw exactly 3 other people up on the mountain all day long, including one lovely woman running the trail (would like to meet her!). Not much for views because of the cloud cover, but all in all a great trail that I would recommend. Please see the link I provided for a trail log of the entire loop. Cheers!

Monday, November 04, 2013

even on a rainy day it's a cool hike. once you get up into the hike, the crowd thins out.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

This was the most difficult hike I have ever done in my life. But it was worth every step, despite my inward cursing at times. I started EARLY (like 6:15 a.m. early) to avoid the heat and the crowds. I didn't see another person until I was into my fifth mile! First rule you need to know about being the first person on the trail: you get to break all the cobwebs. And there were hundreds. To avoid overgrown trails, next time I think I will do this either early spring or in the fall. I saw my first pika on this trail at about the 1,000 foot level of the Wahkeena 420 trail, along with a huge garter snake on the Angel's Rest 415 and a hummingbird near Angel's Rest. Oh, and the rare and elusive 'wild gnome' hiding under Devil's Rest ;). The wildflowers were spectacular! Tiger lillies, iris, red columbine, larkspur, penstemon and many berry bushes, just to name a few. I did Wahkeena to Angel's Rest to Devil's Rest and then returned via Vista Point trail and Wahkeena. It was about 10 miles that way and quite a bit more difficult but highly recommended for those with the extra energy. I included the GPS track below but it lost signal for a bit in the woods so the total distance is just a bit more than it shows, around 9.8 miles.