Wahkeena Falls to Devils Rest and Angels Rest Loop (CLOSED)

Wahkeena Falls to Devils Rest and Angels Rest Loop (CLOSED) is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bridal Veil, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

closed

great views and a few beautiful waterfalls, the peak is a bit disappointing but the lack of crowding makes it great.

So, first, this is not a 6.1 mile trail. Oregon Hikers has it at 7.5 and a few recording in here that look like the standard path have it at 7.2. I decided to do this pretty last minute after work on a Friday, and ultimately didn't finish because I didn't want to get caught in the forest after sundown and once I got going it was clear that 7.5 was more right than 6.1.

Now that we've established that, I loved the first not-even-half of this hike! The Wahkeena trail is just wonderful, with lots of different scenery, multiple falls, and not too many places that are hard/dangerous to navigate. And if you end up doing an out and back it feels different coming down than going up.

Near the top you find yourself in a forest that is pretty flat off to the left, with the occasional view from 2000' off to the right. I only passed a few people beyond the tourist points (don't tell, but after work gorge hikes are great that way).

I'll likely be back very soon to do the whole trail, I'll just leave myself an extra hour.

A great hike! We did it clockwise, in the middle of a week. First part was moderately busy, until we split from Wahkeena trail and started climbing. This second part had lovely views along the way (though not at the peak, so make your photo/snack stop before...), and a very rewarding mix of berries to forage!!
There were a few confusing locations with the trail covered by bushes, having the app's map was helpful. However there are many more potential extensions and splits, so if you have the time you can enjoy saying goodbye to the mentioned trail...

The weather was perfect. We did the loop counterclockwise.

A very nice trail regardless of the insane amount of switchbacks it has, I did it counter clockwise and I see why people say do it clockwise. Nonetheless its a great trail especially going down and seeing all the waterfalls along the way. I did the Wakeena Loop to Devil's Rest (which ended up being a pile of rocks sadly but I guess that's where the name came from), then back down to the Wakeena Loop and finishing off at the Multnomah Falls overlook and lodge. I seriously got buns of steel now from Devil's Rest.

My all time favorite hike on a hot sunny day especially! Runs along water and lots of waterfalls. Wahkeena Springs is beautiful also and just a short stop off main trail.

The falls are wonderful the rest, well, let's just call it a good workout in the woods

You can get to Devils Rest from a lot of the other trails along the Gorge. I took Whakeena Falls. It was so pretty and soothing to be hiking along the waterfall til the junction up Devils Rest. I agree with the rest of you guys, The end point was a little disappointing but do pat yourself on the back after you make it all the way, lol. Killer workout!

this hike was pretty fun! devils peak was a bit of a disappointment as far as WHAT youre hiking to goes, i recommend just hiking all the way to multnomah falls and loop back to your car. we did 10 miles i think in a couple hours, it was fun! good photos too

The wahkeena portion of this hike was breathtaking. Beware of mud!

I did this as a training hike before a climb up St Helens. this trail has a beautiful waterfall to distract you from the steep ascent at the start. you gain most of the 3000 in the first couple miles. after that it was relatively flat and even easy. but the first bit is not for wimpy hikers. I recommend this hike.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

It was an awesome challenge.. And a beautiful hike... Worth every step!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Went on 11/03/16. Fall color finished peaking a week or 2 prior. Lots of recent rain made the waterfalls along this route quite spectacular. Some brief views of Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams as you ascend. Most of the hike is in closed canopy forest with some fairly large Doulas Fir scattered along the entire circuit. Get ready for how cool it is that Wahkeena Springs magically emerges right out of the ground. Most of the poison oak seems to be along the first mile or so. Remember to pack it out and stay safe.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Having missed the trail to Devil's Rest from the Angel's Rest hike, I decided to do it from Wahkena Falls. As others have pointed out, there isn't much reason to do Devil's Rest other than to say you did it. It is a nice climb through the woods with not much in the way of viewpoints. I went back via Larch Mountain Trail to Multnomah Falls and picked up an extra few falls that way. It was a fantastic day until I hit the crowds on the last mile to Multnomah Falls.

Monday, May 23, 2016

looks like this hike is getting underrated. start at wahkeena and make your way up. you will see 5 waterfalls through this hike. most people will turn around but if you make the full loop you won't be disappointed. less crowded as well

Sunday, April 10, 2016

it's an OK training hike the switch backs in the beginning will turn around some people but once past that it's just a walk in the forest the views are slim here and devils rest is just a bunch of rocks so stop and eat and head back down

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Took the loop to Angles Rest myself. Good hike!

Monday, February 01, 2016

Nothing spectacular but some good light snow hiking in the Winter

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

As others have reported there is no view at Devil’s Rest only a collect of large boulders set among trees. If you what to extend to full day hike continue passed the Rest down Foxglove trail to Angles Rest and back to Wahkeena Falls by way of the Angles Rest trail (trail # 415). At least this will give you a full day loop.