Wagner Butte Trail

Wagner Butte Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,352 feet Route Type: Out & Back

]The first three miles are an uphill battle with amazing trees and views to ease the burn, and the last two miles to the butte are basically a switchback with beautiful wildflower and manzanitas.

Great trail. The veiw from the top is amazing. there are 3-4 down logs and the trail is fairly Rocky. It's closer to 10 miles according to the GPS. I will absolutely be doing Wagner again.

great day hike

Split Rock Trail to Wagner Grotto.

excellent views on the second half of the hike

Honestly one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. The views were gorgeous and the wild flowers were even more beautiful. The only reason for 4 stars was that the road/trail wasn't very marked so we had to wander around trying to find it. It's across the street from the parking area. There were also a lot of flies at the view point. It was overall an amazing hike, and has definitely become on of my new favorites.

Great hike. 11 miles not 9.5... We went the day after some storms so the trail conditions were not ideal. Probably cost us an hour all together. Like other posts have said, those first two miles sneak up on you!

3 times this season, each time unique. Early August and still lots of flowers. Cows enjoying free range by rock slide.

This was a tough one! My gps had us at 11 miles. The uphill climb was crazy for my almost 50 year old legs...but my friend and I did it! Will definitely do it again after some more training to see if we can beat our time.

I love this trail and hike it every year. Fantastic wildflowers throughout hike—orchids in the first mile and meadows filled with paintbrush, scarlet gilia, daisies, lilies, and butterflies! Flushed a Sooty Grouse at the Sheep Slide. And even saw a graduate-level SOU environmental science class—hey Sunya!

More like 11ish miles. Beautiful. Uphill climb at the beginning is no joke. Slight rock climb to the summit. Gorgeous views all around. I could see Mcloughlin, Shasta, Ashland and Pilot Rock. On the way down (about a mile from the trail head) we came across a black bear. Luckily we were talking loudly and it heard us and ran off. Adrenaline rush! I'll carry bear spray next time.

A long uphill hike that has fantastic views at the top, and amazing opportunities for wildflowers. Pack plenty of water and wear sturdy shoes. Trekking poles would have been useful.

Perfect Hike. Little of everything.

Great hike. Not a single sign telling you are at the trailhead. Pretty steep most of the way to the top. Once you climb up the rocks to the cement platform the views were spectacular. My GPS had it longer than 9.4 I recommend this hike for experienced hikers. Take plenty of water.

This trail was spectacular!!!

This is a beautiful trail! Very scenic, beautiful views throughout but especially at the top, quiet so you can really listen to nature, & a good workout. The 1st 1.5miles or so had the steepest incline, a few downed trees over the path, & a few patches of snow yet toward the top, but still a great hike. My dog & I went during the week in the morning so we had the place to ourselves until we were about a mile from the end!

Beautiful! If you’re looking to hike this now and are unsure about snow and how that will affect your hike, you’re in the clear! Was able to get up to the top no problem this morning

Hiked this trail today. What we were able to complete was awesome! But we lost the trail under a good amount of snow. Lots of animal tracks and very quiet! Unbelievable views!

this trail is a real good I feel workout and the views are the reward when you reach the Butte. a delicious Sweetwater Cold Spring along the trail is refreshing treat as well.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Fantastic hike! Great workout, beautiful views and the view at the top is worth the effort. I was hesitant to climb up the rocks at the end and make my way around the ridge, but with some encouragement from other hikers I decided to go for it and I’m so glad I did.