Wagner Butte Trail is a 15.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.1 km Elevation Gain: 717 m Route Type: Out & Back

]The first three miles are an uphill battle with amazing trees and views to ease the burn, and the last two miles to the butte are basically a switchback with beautiful wildflower and manzanitas.

May 24: wildflowers finally starting in the wooded sections of the climb.

Amazing morning hike with Buddy today

Count on 11.5 miles according to my phone. First three miles steep. No more snow left, except one patch. Gorgeous views..the tip top demands a rock scramble.

Good hike. Definitely not the easiest hike but the view is totally worth it! 12 miles of mostly inclines with a few switchbacks.

Park on right trails on left so I was not on right trail for a long time

Bring hiking poles if you want to make it to the top! Lots of snow that you have to trek through to get to the top. Download the app to help stay on the trail. It helped after Sheep Slide and finding the trail again through the snow patches. Beautiful at the top!!!! Worth it.

Snowy starting at mile 2, slushy In the snow fields near the top, and a little icy coming down through the trees. It is doable to make it to the summit, just make sure to bring some good winter/hiking boots.

only did about half, ice stopped us bring microspikes

icy

One of the best hikes I’ve done in the Rogue Valley! You can see the entire valley from the top, Medford all the way to Mt. Ashland, amazing. Trail was a little tough to follow at some points and at the end it was knee deep snow and we kinda lost the trail. Made it to the top with a little improvising and it was well worth it. Highly recommend this hike took us about 4 hours and I agree with the other comments it’s closer to 10 miles than 9.

Great trail. The veiw from the top is amazing. there are 3-4 down logs and the trail is fairly Rocky. It's closer to 10 miles according to the GPS. I will absolutely be doing Wagner again.

great day hike

Split Rock Trail to Wagner Grotto.

excellent views on the second half of the hike

Honestly one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done. The views were gorgeous and the wild flowers were even more beautiful. The only reason for 4 stars was that the road/trail wasn't very marked so we had to wander around trying to find it. It's across the street from the parking area. There were also a lot of flies at the view point. It was overall an amazing hike, and has definitely become on of my new favorites.

Great hike. 11 miles not 9.5... We went the day after some storms so the trail conditions were not ideal. Probably cost us an hour all together. Like other posts have said, those first two miles sneak up on you!

3 times this season, each time unique. Early August and still lots of flowers. Cows enjoying free range by rock slide.

This was a tough one! My gps had us at 11 miles. The uphill climb was crazy for my almost 50 year old legs...but my friend and I did it! Will definitely do it again after some more training to see if we can beat our time.

I love this trail and hike it every year. Fantastic wildflowers throughout hike—orchids in the first mile and meadows filled with paintbrush, scarlet gilia, daisies, lilies, and butterflies! Flushed a Sooty Grouse at the Sheep Slide. And even saw a graduate-level SOU environmental science class—hey Sunya!