Wagner Butte Trail

Wagner Butte Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

]The first three miles are an uphill battle with amazing trees and views to ease the burn, and the last two miles to the butte are basically a switchback with beautiful wildflower and manzanitas.

Beautiful! Watch for the "Hippo" rock!

One of the best hikes around the Rogue Valley with easy access from Ashland, Talent, Phoenix, and Medford. The drive up is cool, with a great parking area and a distinct sign at the trailhead.
The hike is hard though not the hardest, starting with a long uphill slog that is somewhat intense even if you are in shape. Solitude abounds, the trail is well-marked, and Sheep Creek Slide is awesome. I can't say enough about this hike. Not the hardest hike you can do, but requires a solid amount of effort so be prepared to do a little work.

I wanted to scout this before I took my twin 7 year olds up here - glad I did. They are experienced hikers and the first 2+ miles would have been a bit much for them. Hiked this with my dog on a balmy 60+ degree in mid January. Good hike if you're looking for a nice workout and Don't want to see any other humans. Go mid week.

Very well maintained, beautiful trail. Great view from the summit though metal pipes (to prevent people from falling?) were kind of distracting. Snow patches here and there and slippery at places but nothing hard.

Fun hike with beautiful views.

Really enjoyed this hike. Great distance good up hills and good long mellow slope side sections. We went in September and the valley was mostly full of smoke but I still didn't care. And we live in Talent so its super close. Will definitely do this one again.

Wanted to see the lunar eclipse but Oregon was on fire! Amazing hike and really beautiful. Trails are pretty overgrown now though. Wished I'd wore my gaiters. ☺️ magical experience though!

Loved it! Great views to Mt Shasta and McLoughlin

Wow! So much work, so pretty! Only little bits of water and only one place that I felt safe filtering, so bring enough or bring a filter. Um, so I think it's more than 9.4 miles though. Trail is beautifully maintained, the only part I found to be sketchy was the sheep creek slide area. Just take your time, watch your footing and if you come down at sunset, make sure you have a headlamp! I did not encounter any wildlife besides a doe.

Easy to find, well maintained, and beautiful as can be!

Great views and a great workout. Most of the small streams are drying up so plan to bring your own water as summer progresses. I'll definitely be doing this hike again!

Did this hike on Saturday, July 1st, my 2nd time doing it, the previous time being in May of 2013. Lots of wildflower action going on. Here's a clip at Sheep Creek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyUHC6DDuQ Also, my video from the summit with views of Mount Ashland, Mount Shasta, Emigrant Lake, Mount McLaughlin and more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjdL3y5p2bw

Amazing view

Beautiful hike. You get views of Shasta, Ashland, Pilot Rock, Crater Lake Rim, Thielson, Bailey and a lot of Coastal mountains that I couldn't identify. We had 2 different GPS trackers going and it said it was 10.2 miles round trip. No snow. Love the fields of Lupine and sage brush. Such an awesome hike!

June 21 and the snow is all gone. Went on a Wednesday morning and saw people at the top but only crossed paths with a couple groups during the actual hike. It was very challenging, but so worth it. The views were especially gorgeous since it was so clear today, we really lucked out. I even saw a rainbow in a cloud, it was super cool. I had a hard time accepting how beautiful the vistas and the sage brush were. Love this hike! I'm used to doing 20 miles, but this 10 miles definitely tired me out.

always worth it

This is definitely my favorite hike in Southern Oregon! I've hiked it in all seasons, and the views are always spectacular. If you crave solitude, I do recommend doing this trail during the week, as on weekends there can be a surprising amount of people on it. I recently hiked this on May 21st, and there was quite a bit of snow near the top. The trail was well marked and still passable, but hiking in deep snow drifts can be pretty tiring. Still, definitely worth the effort!

Hiked to the top May 24, 2017. Still some snow up there, but you can get over it. This was by far my favorite hike in Oregon to date. 10.4 miles round trip to the lookout. Amazing views of McLoughlin, Pilot Rock, Mt Ashland, Shasta, and the Rogue Valley. Definitely recommend. Go early because the sun beats down on you on the way down. I won't post pics because I don't want to ruin it for you.

The view is definitely worth the hike up. I though the beginning of the trail was the steepest/worst spot. Smooth walking after that.

Monday, February 20, 2017

great all day adventure. ..I did run into two black bears...

Friday, August 26, 2016

This trail was amazing! Definitely some inclines but totally doable. The Meadows caught pockets of chilly air to dip in and out of. My favorite part was how much the scenery changed from grassy Meadows to old growth trees and wildflowers. Took 3 hours up and 2.5 back. This home is more like 11 miles total. Keep heading up and you will not be disappointed!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

the first 2-3 miles are killer. the views are amazing

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Well worth the view on top!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great hike. getting there on the logging road takes some patience.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Hike yesterday. The flowers were beautiful. View spectacular.

Friday, June 24, 2016

This trail is absolutely gorgeous. The first three miles are an uphill battle with amazing trees and views to ease the burn, and the last two miles to the butte are basically a switchback with beautiful wildflower and manzanitas.

Alltrails should NOT call this a 5.2-miler, as there's no way to get picked up from the top of the butte (unless you have a philanthropic friend with a helicopter!). This is a 10-mile trail, out and back. Make it to the butte though! The views are epic-- you can see all the wonder of the rogue valley.

Make sure you bring your trekkin poles, plenty of water, and a good snack for the top!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Amazing views at the top! Traveling up you get to experience various ecosystems, this is one I would definitely hit!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

No matter if you followed a trail or just pulled over on the highway and made your own it was breathtaking.

Friday, November 13, 2015

Hiked this trail 3-30-2014 in the snow. It was amazing. There were times we trudged through snow that was over a foot deep. Some of the time it was snowing. Great rewards at the top with wonderful views. Also hiked this on 7-9-2014 and 5-30-2015.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Great hike! It's steep - took 3 hours (slow pace) to hike 5.2 miles up and 2 1/2 to get down. Once you get to the top there are some boulders to climb, this is where you get to see the views - which are so worth it!!! Pack a lunch and a lot of water. Had my French bulldog with me and he enjoyed the hike too! Boulders were a little challenging for him but he made it too.