Wagner Butte Trail

Wagner Butte Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

]The first three miles are an uphill battle with amazing trees and views to ease the burn, and the last two miles to the butte are basically a switchback with beautiful wildflower and manzanitas.

Amazing

Drove up to do this trail today and the road was closed due to the Hendrix Fire

Super secluded so you’ll probably have the trail to yourself. Totally worth the drive up the mountain to the trail head. Some seriously cool spots along this trail.

Great trail. So much cooler than the valley. Lots of shade. Love being at the top lookout.

Beautiful meadows of sage, corn lillies and lupin, forests of evergreens and aspens, andcamazing views of shasta, mt ashland, pilot rock and mcloughlin in the last two miles to the peak. I call the top Cafe Wagner because it’s a great place for lunch.

I loved this trail. The first two to three miles are the hardest but then it smooths out a little just in time for the views. Finished by 10 am on what is supposed to be quite a hot day but there was plenty of shade. I was the first one on the trail this morning, so I ate most of the spider webs (so don’t be first if that bothers you). Great views the whole way up but nothing compares to the views at the top.

Wow. It’s as good as everyone has been saying on here. Definitely not easy. So much of it’s uphill. But the views are amazing. I did this and Crater Lake while I was in the area, and it was a perfect two day combination.

Great hike! So beautiful and not crowded! The views of the taller peaks and valleys from the top are excellent.

Decent elevation gain but not hard by any means

Beautiful. You can also start from Mt Ashland.

Beautiful views

great hike! well worth the distance

roads up to parking area are clear although the lot is full of water.

start the hike with switch backs, level out then ascend a seeming never ending incline. Rest assured once you hit sheeps creek slide it gets easier incline wise. Snow free until wagner glade, ranging from 1 inch to 18 inches of snow in some area. Most of the bootpack is solid but some steps send you post holing. great views at the top. not very rocky

enjoy and sign the log at the top

Beautiful! Watch for the "Hippo" rock!

One of the best hikes around the Rogue Valley with easy access from Ashland, Talent, Phoenix, and Medford. The drive up is cool, with a great parking area and a distinct sign at the trailhead.
The hike is hard though not the hardest, starting with a long uphill slog that is somewhat intense even if you are in shape. Solitude abounds, the trail is well-marked, and Sheep Creek Slide is awesome. I can't say enough about this hike. Not the hardest hike you can do, but requires a solid amount of effort so be prepared to do a little work.

I wanted to scout this before I took my twin 7 year olds up here - glad I did. They are experienced hikers and the first 2+ miles would have been a bit much for them. Hiked this with my dog on a balmy 60+ degree in mid January. Good hike if you're looking for a nice workout and Don't want to see any other humans. Go mid week.

Very well maintained, beautiful trail. Great view from the summit though metal pipes (to prevent people from falling?) were kind of distracting. Snow patches here and there and slippery at places but nothing hard.

Fun hike with beautiful views.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Really enjoyed this hike. Great distance good up hills and good long mellow slope side sections. We went in September and the valley was mostly full of smoke but I still didn't care. And we live in Talent so its super close. Will definitely do this one again.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Wanted to see the lunar eclipse but Oregon was on fire! Amazing hike and really beautiful. Trails are pretty overgrown now though. Wished I'd wore my gaiters. ☺️ magical experience though!

Friday, August 18, 2017

Loved it! Great views to Mt Shasta and McLoughlin

Monday, July 17, 2017

Wow! So much work, so pretty! Only little bits of water and only one place that I felt safe filtering, so bring enough or bring a filter. Um, so I think it's more than 9.4 miles though. Trail is beautifully maintained, the only part I found to be sketchy was the sheep creek slide area. Just take your time, watch your footing and if you come down at sunset, make sure you have a headlamp! I did not encounter any wildlife besides a doe.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Easy to find, well maintained, and beautiful as can be!

Friday, July 14, 2017

Great views and a great workout. Most of the small streams are drying up so plan to bring your own water as summer progresses. I'll definitely be doing this hike again!

Friday, July 14, 2017

Did this hike on Saturday, July 1st, my 2nd time doing it, the previous time being in May of 2013. Lots of wildflower action going on. Here's a clip at Sheep Creek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDyUHC6DDuQ Also, my video from the summit with views of Mount Ashland, Mount Shasta, Emigrant Lake, Mount McLaughlin and more! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjdL3y5p2bw

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Amazing view

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Beautiful hike. You get views of Shasta, Ashland, Pilot Rock, Crater Lake Rim, Thielson, Bailey and a lot of Coastal mountains that I couldn't identify. We had 2 different GPS trackers going and it said it was 10.2 miles round trip. No snow. Love the fields of Lupine and sage brush. Such an awesome hike!

Thursday, June 22, 2017

June 21 and the snow is all gone. Went on a Wednesday morning and saw people at the top but only crossed paths with a couple groups during the actual hike. It was very challenging, but so worth it. The views were especially gorgeous since it was so clear today, we really lucked out. I even saw a rainbow in a cloud, it was super cool. I had a hard time accepting how beautiful the vistas and the sage brush were. Love this hike! I'm used to doing 20 miles, but this 10 miles definitely tired me out.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

always worth it

Sunday, May 28, 2017

This is definitely my favorite hike in Southern Oregon! I've hiked it in all seasons, and the views are always spectacular. If you crave solitude, I do recommend doing this trail during the week, as on weekends there can be a surprising amount of people on it. I recently hiked this on May 21st, and there was quite a bit of snow near the top. The trail was well marked and still passable, but hiking in deep snow drifts can be pretty tiring. Still, definitely worth the effort!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Hiked to the top May 24, 2017. Still some snow up there, but you can get over it. This was by far my favorite hike in Oregon to date. 10.4 miles round trip to the lookout. Amazing views of McLoughlin, Pilot Rock, Mt Ashland, Shasta, and the Rogue Valley. Definitely recommend. Go early because the sun beats down on you on the way down. I won't post pics because I don't want to ruin it for you.