Viewpoint Mike Trail

Viewpoint Mike Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Butte Falls, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice trail. Do a little research beforehand, so you know what you’re looking at at the top. We decided to try the loop and lost the trail at the dog kennel area, but wound up going through the woods towards Highway 62. Then walked to the road that leads into Lost Creek Lake. Got on the Rogue River Trail, walked along the spillway, and made it back to our vehicle. 11 miles total.

Well maintained and a gorgeous view at the top!

I do a lot of hiking in the southern Oregon area and I wouldn't do this hike again, at least not this time of year. The majority of the beginning of the hike was near the highway, it was very loud, and followed along a barb wire fence. It was pretty hot and dry. The view at the end was nice. Overall it was ok, not really worth the drive or effort in my opinion.

I've done this trail a couple times, and will do it again. Nice hike with a good constant climb. Nice trail through small fields and shaded forest with a great view at the top of Lost Creek Lake. View point has a nice rest spot with a bench and stone wall. Lost of poison oak, which isn't uncommon in this area.. I just got a bad case of poison oak from my dog from this trail the last time I did it, so be careful if you have dogs!

Hiked this trail yesterday, 5/28. I'm not someone who hikes all the time (so far Table Rock 3xs this spring) and it was not a problem. You'll be tired and stop a few times to get your breath, but we made it to the top in 1 hour and 15 minutes. I'd say it's comparable to lower Table Rock, just longer and higher. Great payoff on this hike! I'd recommend going early in the day so the sun isn't hitting you along the way. Ticks are present as well as poison oak, but as long as you dress appropriately and check for ticks after, you'll be fine. The path is well marked, just narrow in places (not the ground itself, just the trail) and some of the vegetation is right up to the path. Overall, a great hike!

We got turned around about 0.75 miles in due to the MASSIVE amount of poison oak blocking the path. The trail was well defined though and we did get a beautiful view of the river right away. I would love to see the poison oak get knocked back so my family and I can finish the hike.

Great trail! I think this is one of my new favorites. All the uphill is very gradual and not scary.

a few downed trees. Somewhat muddy and icy in places. nice view of lost creek lake

my favorite SO hike

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be according to the descriptions. But a nice hike and had a beautiful view

Thursday, September 01, 2016

It's my favorite hike in the valley.

Friday, May 27, 2016

Only did half the trail but was beautiful.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

We went weekend of 10/23 and the weather was brisk at the top--bring your jacket! The reviews below are accurate and I agree with most of them. This is NOT a 'super duper difficult, need to win "Naked and Afraid" to survive' hike. It's moderate. There are some inclines that get your heart pumping, and on the way back, they turn into declines to be navigated thoughtfully (I slipped on some loose rubble and got some scrapes). But the trail is easily identifiable. Pros are how accessible and well-defined the trail is, the chance to see some deer and cool birds, and the breathtaking views at the top. Cons are highway noise, bland scenery for most of the hike, and a gross amount of dog doo-doo on the trail (c'mon peeps, clean up after your pup). Distance stated is accurate.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

this trail is perfect. it is steep but the trail is so well done. i love all the forests and open lava meadows. the view and bench at the top makes the whole thing worth while. its the perfect work out all summer and the best way to see all the gorgeous fall colors and clouds! i recommend a sunset trip if you bring a head lamp. also my dogs love it!

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Best to do this trail in the early morning in the summer. The incline is very doable.

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

i did enjoy this hike. i was expecting it to be a little harder, but the incline was totally doable. nice view at the top with a nice view area. tons of poison oak! bathed the dog as soon as i got home!

Friday, October 03, 2014

I get frustrated when people minimize hikes like this one. With an almost 1000 ft elevation gain in 2.5 miles is not a Sunday walk in the park. I live nearby and do this hike often, but it is far from "easy". I am an avid hiker, often hiking up to 10 miles or more in a day, but still find this hike challenging & tiring. This is a great hike with an incredible view, but know what you're getting in to. It is not easy.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Nice morning for a hike on 2-24-2014. As Marissa Mecca mentioned, this is NOT a double black diamond hike. I would say it is on the easy side of moderate. The trail has some muddy spots and the blown down trees are small enough to step over. Very nice views at the viewpoint. We decided to walk up above the bench and found an old road and did some exploring making the total hike just over 7 miles.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Took advantage of the unseasonable January warmth and decided to go on a hike that had a bit more of a challenge to it. Let me clarify right off that this is not a double black-diamond/expert level hike, this is an intermediate level hike at most. The trail is a bit muddy in areas with a couple of blown down trees and has some steep switchbacks in a few places, but overall is pretty easy and is 5 miles in length (round-trip)

Pros:
-Trail is easy to find from off of the highway
-View was beautiful at the top
-Benches are scattered throughout the trail in case you need to rest
-Fairly easy hike for all ages

Cons:
-Noise! You are hiking very close to Highway 62 for a large portion of the trail. Even at the top, you can hear motorists below quite loudly. While the view is nice, it kind of ruined the experience for me when I could hear traffic below.