Learn more

University Falls via Nels Rogers Trail and Wilson River Wagon Road Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(205)
Tillamook State Forest

University Falls via Nels Rogers Trail and Wilson River Wagon Road Trail Loop is a 7.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.8 mi Elevation gain 1,341 ft Route type Loop

Possible swimming hole

45.61473, -123.36701

• 2

Wilson River Wagon Road Trail

Get back on the hiking trail and off of the gravel road here

45.59873, -123.36370

• 3

Dayoe Creek (roughly the half way point)

45.59659, -123.37060

Photos (264)
Recordings (158)
Completed (363)
Bryson James
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

Fantastic 8-mile loop for a day hike. Worked through this one clockwise today with a friend and we took about 4 1/2 hours while stopping at the falls. The falls are 5.5 miles in clockwise, and I highly recommend doing the hike this way. Absolutely perfect trail if you don't mind gunshots and the revving of motors.

Agustin Vasquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Agustin's Recording
Barbara Humphrey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020

There is gun shots in the distance as everyone states but we have gun dogs and they didn't mind. Beautiful .3 mile hike that was easy for myself and my 15 year old daughter. It was worth going at least once. We enjoyed our lunch by the waterfall. great little stop before heading out to Tillamook.

Sophie Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

NOT SUITABLE FOR DOGS OR PEOPLE FRIGHTENED BY LOUD NOISES. wish I had read other reviews before heading out. The 0.5 mile we made it before gun shots spooked my dog were beautiful, disappointed we couldn’t get further.

Sam Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2020

I'm fine with some gunfire and atv noise usually, but the gunfire was SO close to the trail it made me very nervous. It was close enough in some spots I could hear them reloading and the shots themselves were so loud I'd wished I brought earplugs. Pretty enough hike though if you don't mind large patches of clearcut (but also, wildflowers!) & not too many people on a weekday morning.

Marlen Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugs

Well it is season for the bugs. If you stood still long enough you would get swarmed. It was a beautiful hike up. I was not ready physically for a long hike, neither was my friend. Lots of constant gun fire and atvs, but I guess we were warned with reviews. Started at 1pm and finished around 6pm with a ride back down. Maybe it would be better earlier on in the year when more of the creeks are full of water

Jill Chipman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

I was apprehensive when I saw reviews about gunfire and ATVs. I arrived a little before 8 am and hiked a a couple miles before I heard a little gunfire in the distance, not awful. Same for ATVs, arrive a little early and you barely hear them/see them. Saw a few folks on the trail and everyone was great about social distancing. The falls themselves are beautiful and the loop is pretty stunning. I got back to my car around noon and it was packed with ATVs and dirtbikes getting ready to head out. If you time it right, it's a great hike!

View Jill's Recording
Travis Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingOver grown

Great hike! A few of the trails were a bit overgrown in places seeing as this was the first weekend they were open due to COVID, but it was a wonderful hike.

View Travis's Recording
Bree Louzon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingBugs

Had an amazing time today. Not very many people. Trails were pretty clear for the most part. Love how shaded it was

Jade Eyn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Jade's Recording
Dylan Holbrook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
Mountain bikingFloodedMuddyOver grown
View Dylan's Recording
Mike Leffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Went on Monday morning. Almost had place to myself except for the constant discharging of weapons. Felt like the Portland Police Department has declared my hike an “unlawful assembly”.

View Mike's Recording
Eric Kremer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
View Eric's Recording
Shannon Sumrall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
View Shannon 's Recording
Riley Magers
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 10, 2020
Hiking

What was once a relatively quiet (on weekdays) trail, one of my favorites for many years, has become completely overtaken by ATV/gun range nearby. 7 days/week all day, there is no tranquility left here. Such a shame. I waited to write this review until I was consistently having this experience- as I seldom leave poor reviews for trails. I have been hiking this trail with my dogs 1-2x/week since 2017. I recognize it is a shared trail system, but it’s extremely difficult for a hiker/mountain biker to enjoy this “shared” area with all of the noise/litter pollution. Lots of trash, beer cans, and since the bathroom closures, UNBURIED HUMAN FECES in many places at the trailhead and along the trail. Dog owners and parents beware.

Jett Locke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2020
View Jett's Recording
Brenna Cranswick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 3, 2020
Hiking

This was definitely longer, 9.7 miles. Great with my pup! Only downside was there were people shooting guns everywhere. At one point I almost turned around because someone was shooting a shotgun very near by.

View Brenna's Recording
Jana Dong Lovelady
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 1, 2020
HikingSnow

Good hike, but lots of back and forth and road crossings. Very pretty with the snow.

View Jana's Recording
Alfred Voegels
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 23, 2020
View Alfred's Recording
Brittany Herb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 11, 2020
HikingMuddy

Great hike! Not in shape so the hill climbs were a great workout. I loved this trail it challenged me. I was surprised it wasn’t more muddy, there where some areas that where muddy but nothing you couldn’t go around. Waterfall and next to the river multiple times. The parking is above where you come out. So when we get to the end and it looks different it is! Lol just walk up the gravel road to the day use area. My Apple Watch said we walked 8.44 miles and had a elevation of 1550ft.

Naomi McDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 6, 2020
View Naomi's Recording
Gwyneth Defriez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 6, 2020
HikingMuddy

I loved it! Maybe it’s because of the Coronavirus scaring people, or maybe week days just aren’t busy, but I didn’t hear really any vehicles (except for when the path was close to the road) and certainly no gunshots. The only reason it doesn’t get a 5 star is that it’s OVER a mile longer than it’s supposed to be.

View Gwyneth's Recording
Nick Baron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 23, 2020
HikingMuddy

The trail itself was fine. A nice walk through the woods. One good view of the rolling forested hills, and then two waterfalls that were nice. Main problem was the guns and the motorized vehicles (the noise and the smell). It may have been extra bad because we went on a Saturday and it was nice out, but still... We like getting out of the city to hike to be in the peace and quiet of nature, and we didn’t have that for over half the hike. It also seemed like people were shooting guns in many different places, and we were constantly worried that a stray bullet was going to come our way. I’m sure we were fine, but it was very unsettling while we hear the gunshots. If the guns and motorized vehicles weren’t there, I’d probably bump this trail up to a 4/5 stars rating.

Tribal Queen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2020
HikingMuddy

The bridges are slicker than they look.

Stacey J.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 17, 2020
View Stacey's Recording
Chelsea Fuller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2020
HikingBlowdownFloodedMuddy

soooo muddy. 8 or 9 trees to climb over. lotsa water on trail. only saw a few folks, but many orv and target practice. beautiful area probably give 5 stars when its dry. oh and I followed the route and it was 8.6 miles vs 7.8 definitely something to consider.

View Chelsea 's Recording