Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Union Peak Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Crater Lake, Oregon that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,683 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

I cannot speak to the entire trail, and after reading another review I wish I had bc the Peak sounded really nice. But I only had three days in Crater Lake National Park at the end of summer and I did a bunch of hikes all relating to the bluest of lakes. I did about half of the Union Peak Trail as I backcountry camped at about the half way point where the PCT and the Union Peak Trl intersect. It is a beautiful place with tall old trees, a really splendid peaceful forest. For my full trip report with pictures, video and story including find bear poop next to my tent please visit my blog which will also have other great hikes I recommend for Crater Lake: https://nationalparkshikingpursuingbalancethruadventure.wordpress.com/2020/02/04/back-country-camping/

Fun hike all the way but the actual peak climb was my favorite. Expansive views during the climb. Geological marker at the top. Would rate as moderate.

It's an interesting hike/run as you're in dense forest for the first 3 miles. It's not until it's nearly upon you that you finally get a glimpse of the peak. Nice gentle terrain through the forest before the climb up the peak which gets steeper the higher you go. Last 100 or so feet there is no trail, so be careful, and take your time going up the rock. Views from the top are exceptional, with views of at the very least Diamond Peak south to Mt. McLoughlin and the Mountain Lakes Wilderness as well as everything in-between. Very highly recommended. You can check out my video of my experience here: https://youtu.be/CKvKcARJ_YQ

recorded Union Peak Trail