Umpqua Hot Springs Trail

Umpqua Hot Springs Trail is a 0.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Glide, Oregon that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

A short hike to a terrace of hot springs on the Umpqua River in Oregon. This terrace of geothermal pools are a welcome stop along the North Umpqua trail for mountain bikers and hikers. They are also easily accessible from the road.

Bucketlist-worthy! The trail getting to the hot springs is relatively short and easy. Though the trail and the hot springs were heavily trafficked. The hot springs are gorgeous and well worth spending at least an hour or two there. To preserve this area, I would recommend USDA Forest Services to consider having a ranger present during operating hours to ensure visitors don't vandalize the beautifully natural area with their personable waste (feces and urine), litter (beer bottles and cans), maintain the ph levels of the hot springs.

The place was amazing but some people were high and act strange. Felt uncomfortable to stay but I was happy to see this place. Lot of potholes, driving there was really unpleasant and I was worry to broke something in my new SUV. (some was really huge!!)

hiked here Sunday (8/20) with my 3 and 5 year old. it was a short fairly easy hike. they loved the pools. It's a nice short hike with an equally nice reward. be warned there will be naked people there. it didn't bother me nor my kids. we soaked for about an hour. pools range from hot to really really hot.

It can get crowded quickly so I recommend going early in the day. The higher the tub the cleaner and warmer it is, so try to get one of the top ones if they are open.

We read the reviews below before we hiked and we were a little nervous for what we were in for. I'm glad we still went on the hike because it was a very enjoyable experience. Similar to other reviews, the road does has a fair amount of pot holes so be prepared to drive slowly down the gravel road. At the trail head there were only a few cars, no one was loitering around. You should definitely bring bug spray, there were a fair amount of mosquitoes flying around. Be prepared to see some nudity, there were a handful of naked people but hey kept to themselves and everyone else was very friendly and kind.

There are SO MANY variables here. If this was a more remote place and minus all of the vagabonds and transients hanging out around the trailhead, I would have given this place 5 stars. Before going, I had done my fair share of research but there were so many mixed reviews...almost an equal amount of good AND bad. So I decided the best way to find out was to go see for myself.

The road to get to the Umpqua Hot Springs trailhead is filled with potholes that will probably never get fixed. Drive slow and be alert. If your car doesn't handle potholes well, don't drive it through. Tons of vagabonds and transients hanging out in the area. It takes away from the ambience of the area. I felt like I was entering a trailer park.

Maybe it was just the day we were there because I didn't see anyone else mention it in their review, but there were SO MANY MOSQUITOS around. I saw a guy who had his shirt off and his back was just covered in mosquito bites. I got bit all over as well.

There were probably about 10-15 people in the hot springs when we were there. Some were clothed, some were naked. We were aware though from reading prior reviews. But the ones who were naked also looked like they hadn't showered or bathed in several days so we opted for the empty spring. It kind of defeated the purpose though because the only empty spring was the one on the bottom, where all the water from all the higher springs flow in.

The water in the springs felt dirty. Once I actually sat down and looked around, I noticed people don't always take out what they bring in. It's so unfortunate. There's so many news articles about how this place has been trashed and abused for decades. It really IS a beautiful place that could be serene, but it's in a national park, which means there's not a lot of maintenance or patrol in the area. The only time I would ever come back to this place is if it was completely empty, which is probably in the winter.

Easy trail & perfect place to enjoy hot springs

Love this spot. Definitely the most beautiful hot spring I've been to. Hiked here once in February and again in May. Road to the trailhead was closed in February due to ice and snow, making it about a 2 mile hike to the springs, but was well worth it! Plan on spending at least 3-4 hours here for full bliss to take effect ✨

Awesome short hike! Lots of nudy's so prepare yourself!

Awesome short hike! Lots of nudy's so prepare yourself!