Umpqua Hot Springs Trail

Umpqua Hot Springs Trail is a 0.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Glide, Oregon that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

A short hike to a terrace of hot springs on the Umpqua River in Oregon. This terrace of geothermal pools are a welcome stop along the North Umpqua trail for mountain bikers and hikers. They are also easily accessible from the road.

We read the reviews below before we hiked and we were a little nervous for what we were in for. I'm glad we still went on the hike because it was a very enjoyable experience. Similar to other reviews, the road does has a fair amount of pot holes so be prepared to drive slowly down the gravel road. At the trail head there were only a few cars, no one was loitering around. You should definitely bring bug spray, there were a fair amount of mosquitoes flying around. Be prepared to see some nudity, there were a handful of naked people but hey kept to themselves and everyone else was very friendly and kind.

There are SO MANY variables here. If this was a more remote place and minus all of the vagabonds and transients hanging out around the trailhead, I would have given this place 5 stars. Before going, I had done my fair share of research but there were so many mixed reviews...almost an equal amount of good AND bad. So I decided the best way to find out was to go see for myself.

The road to get to the Umpqua Hot Springs trailhead is filled with potholes that will probably never get fixed. Drive slow and be alert. If your car doesn't handle potholes well, don't drive it through. Tons of vagabonds and transients hanging out in the area. It takes away from the ambience of the area. I felt like I was entering a trailer park.

Maybe it was just the day we were there because I didn't see anyone else mention it in their review, but there were SO MANY MOSQUITOS around. I saw a guy who had his shirt off and his back was just covered in mosquito bites. I got bit all over as well.

There were probably about 10-15 people in the hot springs when we were there. Some were clothed, some were naked. We were aware though from reading prior reviews. But the ones who were naked also looked like they hadn't showered or bathed in several days so we opted for the empty spring. It kind of defeated the purpose though because the only empty spring was the one on the bottom, where all the water from all the higher springs flow in.

The water in the springs felt dirty. Once I actually sat down and looked around, I noticed people don't always take out what they bring in. It's so unfortunate. There's so many news articles about how this place has been trashed and abused for decades. It really IS a beautiful place that could be serene, but it's in a national park, which means there's not a lot of maintenance or patrol in the area. The only time I would ever come back to this place is if it was completely empty, which is probably in the winter.

Easy trail & perfect place to enjoy hot springs

Love this spot. Definitely the most beautiful hot spring I've been to. Hiked here once in February and again in May. Road to the trailhead was closed in February due to ice and snow, making it about a 2 mile hike to the springs, but was well worth it! Plan on spending at least 3-4 hours here for full bliss to take effect ✨

Awesome short hike! Lots of nudy's so prepare yourself!

Awesome short hike! Lots of nudy's so prepare yourself!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Sunday, September 06, 2015

My GF lived in the area and we went up there. It was nice and relaxing. When we went up there a group was birthday suiting it. So if you go up there warning you might see it.

Monday, July 21, 2014

This is a great spot to walk in and relax. We spent about 2 hours relaxing in and around the hot springs. There are a total of ~10 small pools and one bigger hot-tub style pool. All of these pools are very warm! I must add (and warn) that there were several hippies who were butt naked in the pools...proceed with caution! ;)

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sunday, April 22, 2012

This is a pretty neat portion of the North Umpqua Trail. I hiked West to East, starting at Toketee Reservoir. As I had no other car at the other end of the trail I had to hike back so the mileage got doubled. The trail primarily follows the North Umpqua River and you get lots of mossy tree filled views. Many are very beautiful!! After a couple miles, after some challenging creek crossing as a result of the snowmelt, you reach a road and cross the river on a car bridge. This portion of the trail was closed as a pretty significant bridge apparently washed away and you'd be risking a lot to try to cross that raging stream, I think it was called Deer Creek. So, you have to drive around, or hike up road, the closed portion and park at the Hot Springs Parking lot. There is nudity at the Toketee Hot Springs so avoid this area if that makes you uncomfortable.