Umpqua Hot Springs [CLOSED] is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Clearwater, Oregon that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, running, camping, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length0.8 miElevation gain305 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashKid friendlyCampingNature tripsWalkingRunningForestHot springsRiverViewsClosed
Description
Waypoints (3)
Getting There

INDEFINITE CLOSURE: This trail is closed indefinitely. For more information, please visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/umpqua/recarea/?recid=66048 A short hike to a terrace of hot springs on the Umpqua River in Oregon. This terrace of geothermal pools are a welcome stop along the North Umpqua trail for mountain bikers and hikers. They are also easily accessible from the road.

Directions from Roseburg: Travel east on Highway 138 and turn north onto Road 34, the west entrance to Toketee Ranger Station. At the bottom of the hill turn left across the two concrete bridges. Proceed 2.2 miles and turn right onto Road 3401. Proceed another .7 miles to a parking area on the left. The parking area will accommodate six vehicles and a Northwest Forest Pass is required to park at this trailhead. Cross the foot bridge over the North Umpqua River to the trail. Turn right, proceed .1 miles to a junction. Turn to the right and start to climb a steep narrow trail for .2 miles. There is another fork; turn to the right and start to climb a steep narrow trail for .2 miles. There is another fork; turn uphill to the left. The hot springs are under a covered shelter.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (181)
Photos (111)
Activities (101)
Completed (595)
Fiorella Ramirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2021
WalkingClosedIcySnow

PLEASE TAKE YOUR TRASH DONT STUFF IT IN THE BATHROOM!!!

Fiorella Ramirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 4, 2021
WalkingClosedGreat!IcyMuddySnow

I loved the Hot Springs it was worth it! The entrance is closed sadly and we had to walk for 50 minutes to the hot springs. There is black ice on some spots of the road , it was tiring but my friend and I had fun! I recommend going in the winter the hot springs are pretty hot.

Trista Atherton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 18, 2021
HikingClosed

I’ve been here 3 times this year and I’m forsure yesterday will be the last it is officially CLOSED everytime I come I take garbage bags of trash with me it has been trashed and ruined which is heartbreaking I hope it being closed will heal the area!

Peter Travis
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 4, 2021
Hiking

Has been and remains closed per USFS website but typical visitors to places like this don't care and continue to ruin it for others. Place has been ruined by social media and careless visitors. Here's the source: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/umpqua/recarea/?recid=66048

Paige Skorseth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 31, 2020
HikingMuddy

The road leading to the trailhead is open, but you certainly need snow tires or chains to be safe. Short hike that is muddy and somewhat slippery, but it was pretty easy in Yaktrax. Have to scramble over some rocks at the end. Reached the springs around 8:30 AM and nobody was there yet, The springs got busy around 10:00 AM. Very unique experience; would highly recommend.

Lauren Edberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 28, 2020

Busy, but pretty

View Lauren's activity
Liam Dillow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 25, 2020
Hiking

With the proper management, this place could be much more beautiful and enjoyable experience for many. Got there at dusk hoping the approaching dark would thin out the crowds. The parking lot dumpsters are obscenely overflowing with trash as well as the vault toilet which is almost completely full of waste up to the seat, and homeless people are camping in their cars. I like how the bridge has been painted rainbow colors I didn’t mind the steepness of the hike as I imagine it discourages some of the crowds, but the hot springs were mostly disappointing, not living up to social media hype. The views are absolutely incredible, but half the hot springs are tepid and/or super shallow and have an inordinate amount of sulfur aroma as well as black organic material that piles up on your legs in the water and comes out of your swimsuit in piles when you shower later. The four springs that are actually hot are hogged by revelers, including one guy who shouted a jeer at me for wearing a mask when I first arrived due to the trail being so narrow and having to pass by closely to other people. There’s not too much trash; some cigarette butts are here and there. We waited for about an hour for a warm pool to open up; one did as we were getting dressed but we were over it at that point. This place would greatly benefit from a partnership between the Umpqua National Forest and caring locals, as in the Remington Hot Springs (California) model. At that location, there is a Facebook group of locals that routinely volunteer their time to clean, pick up trash, periodically drain the pools, and generally discourage negative behavior. They have implemented rules that visitors limit their time to a half hour when the springs are busy, and keep gorgeous places such as this the relatively pristine places they should be.

Samantha Rosen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 25, 2020
Great!

Only complaint was the trash. If you can pack it in you can pack it out. You can’t truly love nature if you litter, it’s nasty. don’t begross. Pick it up.

Jacqueline Hicks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 12, 2020
HikingMuddy

very short and steep but the ending is gorgeous!! i will definitely be back!

Mallory Joki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 28, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!

These are my new favorite hot springs! It was so beautiful and I felt good vibes<3 also if you go, there is a beautiful waterfall on the same road called tokatee falls!

julian lemoine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2020
HikingGreat!

Contrary to what I read on another site, it is OPEN! not closed. there was one pool that was hot and 2 others that were warm, and some that were tepid. saw 5 people on the trail 1 other person in the hot spring when I got there in the morning, one couple came and left without getting in, another couple came and got in. sadly no one offered me ketamine or any other drugs. but it was early in the day.

Christine Henry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 11, 2020
Hiking

Totally littered with nude hippies and the art they leave behind.... IT WAS GREAT. Unique experience that I don't recommend to many because I want the silence of the hills to myself. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Ben Roman
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 31, 2020
Hiking

Littered with nude hippies and the trash and graffiti they leave behind. Tragic destruction of a nice natural feature.

View Ben's activity
Donnalin Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 31, 2020
Hiking

This place was so fun and interesting. I will be back!

View Donnalin's activity
Lacy Parker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
View Lacy's activity
Kenny McGinnis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 7, 2020
View Kenny's activity
Mitch Rivard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2020
Hiking

Hike up is super easy. It’s a beautiful and quiet area if you get there early. I got there at about 6:30 and was one of 2 people there for over an hour.

View Mitch's activity
Austin Main
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 2, 2020
Hiking

Pretty well marked easy to follow trail. Absolutely beautiful views.

View Austin's activity
Nugget Lotto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2020
View Nugget's activity
SA Almarazz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2020
HikingMuddy

It was a great idea to hike it at first, it was a moderate hike towards the end, naked people walking on the trail not to be expected my 10 year old if he was with us would have flipped out, naked people in the hot springs to be expected. However, this mother had her maybe 8 year old in there naked as well so that clearly made my husband uncomfortable. Then the mom wasn’t watching the girl and she fell from one of the springs down to the next, hippies begging for beer, they were all camped out in vans that were supposed to be for parking they were friendly but not into respecting personal space... I get it vibes haha. Parking is limited, so yes I liked that I was able to see this place, but too unusual for even someone as open minded as I usually am, some say it’s dirty, it wasn’t dirty when we went. One of the people living out of a van said someone messed up the top hottest spring so now there is a water hose to help it flow I suppose.

Callie Sorensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020
Hiking

Recommend going off peak timing so you have the place to yourself!

View Callie's activity
Kelsey Crowther
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!

I had read horror stories both online and here on All Trails but I arrived with an open mind and it ended up being my favorite hot spring of my trip to Oregon! We made sure to arrive by 6:30AM on a Monday and there were two solo soakers already there but luckily there are 6 or 7 different pools so it wasn’t a problem and we were able to get all the photos we wanted and soak in peace before the real crowds began to arrive. It’s all about planning and keeping an open mind. I was also concerned about reports that it was over run with trash and stinky but honestly I found one small wrapper and a ritz cracker the whole time we were there and that’s about it so I do think the majority of people who come to the springs respect the nature and pack out what they pack in!

Summer Steakley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 13, 2020
Hiking

Does anyone know if this trail is currently open due to Covid-19 closures? Anyone done it in the past few days?

Jenna Taddeo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Got there at 6am on a Thursday and I had the whole place to myself. Just get there very early and it’s amazing.