Twin Lakes Trail is a 6.1 mile out and back trail located near Sumpter, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length6.1 miElevation gain2,349 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingWalkingLakeViewsWildflowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (0)

The road leading to the trailhead is difficult - high clearance vehicle recommended.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (39)
Photos (31)
Recordings (21)
Completed (64)
Jamie Gregory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 1, 2020
View Jamie's Recording
Lindsey Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2020
HikingGreat!

I am going to preface this review by saying I'm not the most in shape person. The climb in elevation definitely kicked by butt so be prepared for a hearty climb to the lake. The view is 100% worth it though. The trail seems to continue on to the other side of the lake so if you feel like you are done hiking, cut to the left and you'll be on the shore faster. I believe it's because this trail continues on to Rock Creek Butte. I didn't overnight camp at the lake but there's plenty of space to. I hiked it on 10.18.20 and didn't see any goats but it was quite chilly up there so be sure to wear layers. I made the drive in a 2017 Jeep Cherokee and did fine. Go slow over the rocks, make sure you have clearance. I stopped at where the AllTrails App has you start (1/2 mile before the trailhead) but a couple made it all the way up in a Ford Escape so it's doable. There are a lot of switchbacks, some places where it evens out to catch your breath, and a little log bridge to cross the river. If you don't want to chance the bridge you can cross the river further down the path. It's gorgeous and seemed well maintained to me. Definitely a must hike! If you search “NF-030 Road to Twin Lakes Trailhead, Baker City, OR” in YouTube 2 videos will show up that are from my dash cam. Hopefully it gives you an idea of what the road is like on the way up.

Syl Vazquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Hiking

I was able to get my Toyota corolla 1/2 mile from the trailhead. the road is rough but manageable. I escaped without a flat tire or any other damage. Compared to the marble creek route, regular vehicles can manage this. However, if you care about your car (like its new and nice, not for outdoors) I would recommend you find a different mode of transportation. Mine is 15 years old with 200k miles and lots of paint damage from the winter. the hike itself isn't nearly as difficult as I pictured. gorgeous, slightly trafficked. its also more like 7.5 to 8 miles.

View Syl's Recording
Anna hikes stuff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
HikingBlowdownGreat!Over grown

The last three miles of the road (from the signed junction) are a little rough but passable in a Subaru. We didn't drive all the way to the official trailhead but started where the AllTrails map indicates (an old two-track leading to the right at the junction saying "Twin Lakes TH 1/2 mile"). This section connects with the main trail eventually (at the footbridge across the stream) and isn't too hard to follow, but is a little overgrown with a fair bit of downfall. If you have the vehicle for it, the main trail is easier (we returned that way). Beautiful lakes, tracked 3.75 one way and didn't think the elevation gain was too bad, but we do a lot of summits and were heading onward to Rock Creek Butte anyway :) Continue up to the saddle on pretty easy switchbacks for great views from above and the possibility of seeing goats!

Raymond Wetmore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail was well maintained. I was in a passenger car so I had to hike the final 3 miles to the trail head. Add 6 to the hike so it ended up being 15. Loved every minute of it.

Karyanne Spangler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great hike, tough elevation gain but the views are worth it!

Scott Howell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingRocky

If you want to see Mountain Goats Day after Day in camp running through camp probably over 100 of them it was amazing they always amaze me with their cliff dwelling acrobatics great hike my 8 yr old granddaughter went and she did amazing along with her Dad and Mom

View Scott's Recording
Brian Horneck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

One spot on the drive up where you'll need a vehicle with clearance, but the Subaru did fine. Beautiful hike. Lots of mountain goats and still some snow up top. GPS had the hike at 8.5 round trip, but that was with a little walking around up top.

Anja Van Elgort
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

The drive out here is on a long dirt road and passenger cars are not recommended. If you go slow it’s not too bad. Some bumpy areas. It looks like you can disperse camp out here. Definitely option to backpack and no issue with parking or fees. Lots of walking options. Killer hike. Start early and you can enjoy it all to yourself. So much beauty!

Olivia Bolles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grownRockySnow

Really great hike, parts of second half of the trail were a little difficult to find because of snow but it’s not hard to figure out. Definitely more like 8 or 9 miles. The road to get there is pretty intense, I have a tundra but I stopped half a mile before the trailhead because of the road. Dogs loved it, beautiful views, didn’t see any goats but the iced over lake was just gorgeous.

Tovah Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2019
Hiking

Breathtaking views, and elevation. We saw lots of mountain goats, butterflies, and chipmunks. Only one log to climb over, mostly a well maintained, albeit steep, trail. My phone said I hiked 8.8 miles. You do need 4x4 and good clearance to get to the trailhead. It is truly a very beautiful hike, but you will want to be in decent shape.

Mire Cisneros
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2019
HikingSnow

The drive is challenging and seems to get worse in stages. The hike is steep but offers incredible views. Lots of snow still, and marshy meadows; lots of flora, and fauna, be prepared.

Chadwellz28 Chadwellz28
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2019
Hiking

really fun trail, awesome wild life views, lake is snowed over still, (06-14-19) have enough of a break in the ice to catch as many feisty little brook trout as you can handle. seemed to like rooster tails. saw multiple groups of goats, said by ODFW to be the rarest big game animal in the state, we saw the first group of seven, two adolescent, and a second group on an opposing peak, of at least five adults. picked our fill of morels, and boletes, calf-brain, and "coral" mushrooms. all in all, I would say that the trail is DECEIVING, the "advertised" elevation gain, and drop were correct. verified by a couple smart watches, but I think the distance is a little off. if you look at the satellite overlay, on this app. and zoom in, compare the red line to, the "dotted white line," labeled, "twin lakes trail." you'll see what I see. I think it's closer to 8-9 miles out and back.

Marissa Adam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2019

No joke about the road to the trailhead. I have a 4Runner and I chickened out

B Danielle Schulte
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2019
Hiking

The trail is beautiful, but getting there is rough! Bring your best all-terrain vehicle. I stopped about 2 miles short of the official trail head where I found a solid turn-out, and it was remote enough that I wasn’t worried about having to hike around cars. It was the right call, there were two huge puddles and a log in the road ahead of where I stopped! I made it to the actual trail and about 1 hour past when I heard a rattlesnake on the trail ahead of me, but it was a fine stopping point to turn around have lunch. Very rugged, be prepared on this trail!

Becca Simpson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 27, 2019
HikingRockySnow
View Becca's Recording
Liz Morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2018
Hiking

This is around 8 miles round trip, not 6. If you're in good shape, it's a moderate incline. If not, be prepared for a strenuous, relentless uphill hike. Lakes are gorgeous, and if you're lucky, you'll see some mountain goats along the way. If you have a high clearance 4x4 vehicle, it's easier to head up Marble Creek from Baker and start from the Elkhorn Crest Trailhead.

Betsy Ema Upshaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 8, 2018
Running

Awesome hike. I averaged a 14-min mile and went 10-miles. It was snowing when I did it on October 5 so I missed the trail taking you to the lakes. I stayed right and ended up taking hitch backs for and extra 1.5ish miles. Snow got too bad so I turned around and ran the trail down. Incline most of the way, I had a total of 2,988-feet of elevation gain. Saw some white tail deer. Good combination of hearing the stream in the first 2 miles and views of the valley intermittently miles 2.5-5 as you head up.

Hannah Lingo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2018

This definitely wasn’t an accurate depiction of the trail. Entirely up hill and closer to 5 miles rather than 3. Rock creek butte trail seemed like a closer fit and same exact directions rather than this one.

Tyler Rice
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2018
Hiking

A great hike with some incline for most of way up but not too difficult overall. There are some flat areas in between with a great meadow and two lakes up top of the hike. It is 4 miles up and not 3.1 like trail says so be prepared to walk a little longer and it’s worth it.

Mariah Murray
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2018
Hiking

My daughter and I just did this trail with our 2 dogs. We did not make it to the lakes. We fell about a mile short. This baby is all up hill. I would rate it as hard due to that fact. Next time I pick a hike I’ll be looking for easy. I’m in decent shape but not this kind of shape. We didn’t start the trail until almost 1 pm due to not leaving home until 9:30 am and it was a long drive for us. I would defiantly hike it next year but leave much earlier so we can see the lakes (and hopefully be in better shape also). If you don’t mind extreme hills this is for you. Also the road is can get a little hairy. Only room for 1 vehicle (barely). We ran into someone coming down on the way up and I had to back 1/4 mike down hill on a super narrow windy road with a huge drop off. Also the first parking area you see that says twin lakes 1/2 mile is not the best place. If you keep going there is a bigger parking area at the actual trail head. We didn’t know so we walked in from the first sign. Only thing this trail did not have for difficulty was rock climbing with gear and a raging river. Although there is a beautiful water crossing with loft bridge.

View Mariah's Recording
Katie S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2018
Hiking

Completed this as a day hike on 6/23/18 - awesome hike and we saw two mountain goats grazing in the meadow up by the lakes! Yes, it was closer to 8 miles round trip than 6. The trail didn't seem to follow exactly what AllTrails has marked. Also, the parking and trailhead situation was a little confusing - there was one sign pointing straight labeled "Twin Lakes TH 1/2", so we followed it and ended up at a parking lot with an unlabeled trailhead. We were confused because AllTrails didn't have this labeled as the start of the trail, so we turned around and parked the car back at the sign, and hiked to the right. It turns out that both ways are viable options and they eventually meet up with each other.

Ashley Nicole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2017

This hike was amazing! The whole hike is beautiful. You come to a stream that's gorgeous and then some clearings that are amazing. The trail itself makes many unnecessary twist and turns and towards the end my boyfriend and I start to veer from the trail and just follow the creek but the lake is gorgeous and it was a fun hike.

Ben Goodlad
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2017
Hiking

I love this trail! Be sure to bring lots of water and snacks. It's a tough hike.