Twin Lakes Trail

Twin Lakes Trail is a 6.1 mile out and back trail located near Sumpter, Oregon that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is around 8 miles round trip, not 6. If you're in good shape, it's a moderate incline. If not, be prepared for a strenuous, relentless uphill hike. Lakes are gorgeous, and if you're lucky, you'll see some mountain goats along the way. If you have a high clearance 4x4 vehicle, it's easier to head up Marble Creek from Baker and start from the Elkhorn Crest Trailhead.

Awesome hike. I averaged a 14-min mile and went 10-miles. It was snowing when I did it on October 5 so I missed the trail taking you to the lakes. I stayed right and ended up taking hitch backs for and extra 1.5ish miles. Snow got too bad so I turned around and ran the trail down. Incline most of the way, I had a total of 2,988-feet of elevation gain. Saw some white tail deer. Good combination of hearing the stream in the first 2 miles and views of the valley intermittently miles 2.5-5 as you head up.

This definitely wasn’t an accurate depiction of the trail. Entirely up hill and closer to 5 miles rather than 3. Rock creek butte trail seemed like a closer fit and same exact directions rather than this one.

A great hike with some incline for most of way up but not too difficult overall. There are some flat areas in between with a great meadow and two lakes up top of the hike. It is 4 miles up and not 3.1 like trail says so be prepared to walk a little longer and it’s worth it.

My daughter and I just did this trail with our 2 dogs. We did not make it to the lakes. We fell about a mile short. This baby is all up hill. I would rate it as hard due to that fact. Next time I pick a hike I’ll be looking for easy. I’m in decent shape but not this kind of shape. We didn’t start the trail until almost 1 pm due to not leaving home until 9:30 am and it was a long drive for us. I would defiantly hike it next year but leave much earlier so we can see the lakes (and hopefully be in better shape also). If you don’t mind extreme hills this is for you. Also the road is can get a little hairy. Only room for 1 vehicle (barely). We ran into someone coming down on the way up and I had to back 1/4 mike down hill on a super narrow windy road with a huge drop off. Also the first parking area you see that says twin lakes 1/2 mile is not the best place. If you keep going there is a bigger parking area at the actual trail head. We didn’t know so we walked in from the first sign. Only thing this trail did not have for difficulty was rock climbing with gear and a raging river. Although there is a beautiful water crossing with loft bridge.

Completed this as a day hike on 6/23/18 - awesome hike and we saw two mountain goats grazing in the meadow up by the lakes! Yes, it was closer to 8 miles round trip than 6. The trail didn't seem to follow exactly what AllTrails has marked. Also, the parking and trailhead situation was a little confusing - there was one sign pointing straight labeled "Twin Lakes TH 1/2", so we followed it and ended up at a parking lot with an unlabeled trailhead. We were confused because AllTrails didn't have this labeled as the start of the trail, so we turned around and parked the car back at the sign, and hiked to the right. It turns out that both ways are viable options and they eventually meet up with each other.

Monday, August 21, 2017

It's about 8 miles round trip...and half the adventure is just getting there on those rough gravel roads! Really fun hike! Beautiful meadows and wild flowers near the end, which makes it all worthwhile!

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

This hike was amazing! The whole hike is beautiful. You come to a stream that's gorgeous and then some clearings that are amazing. The trail itself makes many unnecessary twist and turns and towards the end my boyfriend and I start to veer from the trail and just follow the creek but the lake is gorgeous and it was a fun hike.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

I love this trail! Be sure to bring lots of water and snacks. It's a tough hike.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Yes, more like 4 miles in and 8 round trip. Climbing the whole time, but has some pretty good switchback trails. With some rest stops, it's doable. The lake is a gorgeous gift at the end and you won't want to leave. Beautiful valleys and views of the mountains that you'll want a camera for. Trail head start is clearly marked with a parking area. Water available all over along the trail so if you have a filtration system bring it to alleviate the load. Not well travelled, you may encounter one person, if that especially if you go on a week day. So worth it!

Thursday, June 16, 2016

This was a great hike. Long uphill to the lake and a few tough stretches but not too bad. The lake itself was beautiful and we saw a lot of goats. As the summer months go on this would be an awesome place to camp.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

This is a 4 mile trail each direction. Scenery is beautiful, lots of wildlife. I usually see goats on the rocks above lakes, but not today. Alternate trail in starts at marble pass where road 7240 crosses the Elkhorn crest trail, this keeps you on the ridge until directly above lakes then steep descent into lakes themselves. This trail gives great overlooks of the Baker valley, and Phillips reservoir, along with the Sumpter valley.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017