Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Twin Lake South (Lower Twin Lake)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(44)
Mount Hood National Forest

Twin Lake South (Lower Twin Lake) is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 652 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Located at the Frog Lake Sno park about six miles southeast of Government Camp, this is a great trail for snowshoeing in the winter. Make sure to use the north Twin Lakes trailhead, which is part of the Pacific Crest Trail. Snowmobiles are not allowed on this trail.

Not a bad Friday morning hike. Steady elevation gain most of the way to the lake kept me comfortably warm in the high 50 degree temps. I did not see a single person on my way to the lake, which was nice, then came across a couple camp sites once I hit Lower Twin Lake. I didn't realise that there was camping at the lake, so I felt a bit awkward walking around people's tents early in the morning when they were still getting up. The lake itself was beautiful, clear, and had a magnificent reflection of the trees and mountains. The hike back I ran into more people, but it was by no means crowded. The forest and lake were both lovely, but I would not say this hike is as scenic as some in the Mount Hood area. Compared to some of my more recent treks to falls and other lakes, I started to get a bit bored with the same scenery. Still, it was beautiful and a great way to start the day. I did not encounter any large animals, but there were definitely signs of them recently on the trail. I would almost say that this hike should be classified as "easy" not "moderate," or on the very easy side of "moderate." While there is steady elevation gain, it was barely enough to get my heart pumping, let alone leave me huffing and puffing. You will need an Annual NW Forest Pass, America the Beautiful pass, or day pass for parking. I purchased my day pass ahead of time, but it did look like there was an option to buy on site. $5.

This is such a beautiful easy hike. A great beginner backpacking location as well! I would highly recommend this one but it was VERY busy.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Fri Aug 24 2018

I love this hike. we went to the lake and enjoyed a bit of wild life demanding food and amazing views. this is a beautiful hike that I'll be doing again. we went past towards the second lake and you feel like you're on top of the world. not that many people, but all are friendly

Wed Aug 01 2018

Out of the five hikes I’ve been on in the Mt. Hood area this summer, this one is my favorite. I’m already planning on the next time I go with a pack and stay the night at the lower lake. Very few bugs. 70 degrees at 11:00am. Warm lake water. Few people. Nice big campsites too. Can’t wait.

Sun Jul 29 2018

This was a beautiful & moderate hike to the lower & upper lakes. The summit point is 4320 feet & I think my lungs could feel this higher elevation change. The trails are nicely marked & not too heavily trafficked for a Saturday. The weather was a gorgeous 83 degrees which was a nice change this late in July. Several hikers were packing-in to the remote campsites. Both lakes felt refreshing! I highly recommend & would definitely do this trail again & would like to go during spring to see more wildflowers. BTW the parking lot requires a pass or you can pay $5 on site.

Mon Jan 29 2018

Pretty spot with minimal hiking. Nice to swim in the lake during the summer months, however I've only visited once and didn't get to explore more of the area surrounding.

Wed Dec 13 2017

Easy hike into a calm lake. More optional trails so you can get as many miles in as you want. I recorded my time here on video if you want to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_dFAyfC2i8

Thu Jun 01 2017

Stayed up at Lower Twin Lake 5/27-5/28. Still snow patches on the south facing slopes but the biting bugs weren't out yet. Tried to complete the loop by taking Frog Butte trail which is still very hidden and had to turn back.

Thu Jun 01 2017

Went to upper Twin Lakes yesterday. Most of the trail is free of snow but it's still there. Upper Twin Lake is just about covered completely with NO campsites yet. I walked around the lake in all snow.

Fri Feb 17 2017

For an up and back snow shoe outing, quite nice. Go during the week to avoid crowds. very nice trail, but we'll traveled. No need for long shoes.

Sat Apr 30 2016

Love this for snowshoeing

Fri Feb 22 2013

This is one of my favorite snowshoeing hikes near Mount Hood. Almost all of the trail is in deep woods without views, so it gets less use than other Sno-Parks in the area. The hike starts on the PCT, then I take the junction to Lower Twin Lake. At the lake, there are plenty of spots to stretch out and relax for a snack before turning around and going back. The local birds have this spot figured out too. Be prepared for them to swoop down and pick up any stray crumbs that you drop.

recorded Lower & Upper Twin Lakes via PCT