Learn more

Tunnel Ridge Trail is a 1.7 mile out and back trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.7 mi Elevation gain 547 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities

When you reach the sign that says Sterling Mine Trail System: Tunnel Ridge Trail 2km/1mi; Little Applegate Trailhead 8km/5mi; Bear Gulch Trailhead 5km/3mi, you are actually standing just about over the tunnel. If you take either trail a little further, you will reach the tunnel. The passage is clear but you will have to duck if you want to walk through it.

There is a parking area market Tunnel Ridge day area on the right side of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (113)
Photos (32)
Recordings (36)
Completed (253)
Michelle Wimberly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Mar 22 2020

such a beautiful nice hike this time of year

Crystal Blower
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Mar 04 2020
Hiking

This was a pretty steep but beautiful hike with a cool tunnel at the top. You have to kinda crawl to get into it but then it gets big enough to stand up in. Lots of spiders in there haha. We did it in the summer time so it was really blue and pretty. i want to take my son but he wouldn't do well with the elevation, but other kids would definitely be able to handle it just fine.

Heather Mooney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 26 2020
HikingMuddy

Beautiful view, well maintained but heavily trafficked. Probably the busiest hike (in terms of sheer numbers on the trail) I’ve been on in all of Southern Oregon and it really detracted from the experience. If you want solitude this is not the trail for you.

Sarah Kinnaman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 13 2019
Hiking

This trail was all uphill, but it was beautiful and worth it. I took my three year old and he loved it. The tunnel was super fun. The only thing I could say is that people who bring dogs out please either pick up after your dog or kick it off the trail. Thank you.

View Sarah's Recording
Kimberly Easly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 13 2019
Hiking

great hike! up hill the whole way! but a great little tiny tunnel!

View Kimberly's Recording
Dulce Carolina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 26 2018

Maps took me by a road that starts in Talent (it was the closer one) and it was a nightmare. The road, called Anderson Rd was horrible, not maintained at all and you have the impression you’re always lost. If you don’t have a truck and 4x4 it can be frustrating. The best route is by Jacksonville, taking Upper Applegate Rd and then Little Applegate Rd. These roads are pretty well maintained. The hike is short, but you can keep going by the next trails.

Shannon Stilfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 29 2018
Hiking

This is a great short hike!! I would definitely have a forestry map before heading to the trailheads. I lost service for hours. There are different ways to get to this location but the best and least confusing direction is through Jacksonville, then down the 238. Pay attention to the signs because there are a few different ways to get to the tunnel trailhead. We first started on Little Applegate TH which is a 5 mile hike to the tunnel and loaded with ticks and bugs. After a mile we turned back to the car and drove another 1.8 miles to the "Tunnel Ridge TH". Enter the Tunnel Ridge TH location and hike about a mile to the top. It's mostly up hill but we managed fine with a 3yr, 5yr, 6yr, and 11yr old. Once you reach the top, take the trail to the left (Bear Gulch Trail). It will show an additional 3 miles but after just a few feet the Tunnel will be on your right.

Karlie Holley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 28 2018

Beautiful hike but misleading.We started at Bear Gulch trail head. Once you reach the first sign it will read "Tunnel Ridge 3.1 Mi" and an arrow pointing left. So, logically we went that direction, figuring we must have misread the distance listed in the trail app. The next few miles we're fairly flat and easy but theres lots of poison oak covering the trail. Nearing the end, there was spectacular views of the Applegate Valley from a must-sit bench that overlooks rolling meadows. the tunnel has a small opening but my wife was able to crouch through and walk from one end to the other. Pretty cool. We went down back to Bear Gulch, totaling 8 miles. Awesome hike but a far cry from the listed 1.7 miles! After reading some posts it became apparent that folks we're finding a short cut to the tunnel. With comments like " quick hike" I knew somethin was up. Apparently, if we would have went the opposite way that the sign points toward Tunnel Ridge, we would have gotten to the tunnel much, much faster. Like 2 miles faster!?! Not sure if this is true, but if so, that is kinda misleading to say the least.

Katherine Katherine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 07 2018

My 5 & 4 year old could only make it half way, with frequent rests

Sam A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 15 2018
Hiking

I would rate this moderate instead of easy. Only because you should be prepared to feel the burn as you hike uphill the whole way. We managed fine while wearing a baby and having a 8, 6, and 3yr old hike along too. And the hike down is a breeze. When you reach the top you will want to take the trail to the left towards Bear Gulch. Just a few feet away you will see the tunnel. The opening is small, but it's a bit roomier once you are inside. Adults will have to hunch over to walk through, but your kids will be able to stand up and have the time of their lives. There is a sign in front that gives some history of the hydraulic gold mine, which is really cool. Definitely a unique spot and we enjoyed the views along the way. The climb is always worth it!

Charles Allen
Hiking

This was a fun little hike! I’d probably put it at moderate and not easy, as the entire hike to the tunnel or other connecting trails is uphill. It’s steady, but all uphill. The kids, and myself, were starting to feel it towards the ends. NOTE: once you finish the trail and it intersects the Bear Gulch Trail, you’ll want to go to your left (like you are starting the Bear Gulch Trail) for a few feet and the tunnel will be on your right. The trail is easy enough for most kids to get there and smallish adults. I’m 5’8 and towards the end of the tunnel it becomes narrow and I had to crawl a few feet. It was fun for sure and there are some stunning views along the way.

Brian Louis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 04 2018
Hiking

Great little mile hike from the TH to the tunnel. Quick hike with beautiful views towards the top.

Erika Kingslien
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Apr 02 2018
Hiking

Amazing views the entire trip! Very nicely maintained trails; even a couple benches along the way! Uphill all the way to the top; but once you reach the end you find information about the history of the tunnel which we found fascinating. Tall children and adults will hit their heads if they try to pass through the tunnel! Beware of ticks in the grasses surrounding he trails.

Wendy Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 01 2018
Hiking

Fun trail! Steady uphill the whole way, but worth it!

Jennifer Wiley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 31 2018
Hiking

Had a blast today on this trail! I took my 3year old son and my 9year old daughter they both made it to the top and thought the tunnel was amazing.

Leo Sundberg
Hiking

Had a BLAST with my little family today great hike and an amazing drive definitely 1 of my favorite hiking locations

Amanda Grady
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 03 2018

I'm giving 3 stars cuz what I explored was really pretty but I am pretty confused on where to go when I came out there. there was a little parking area that said tunnel ridge day use with what looked like a start of a trail but then directly across the road was a start to another trail that listed multiple trails such as bear gulch which I had seen pics of on this app so I followed that trail since i had seen pics on here but I think it was the wrong start or I didn't go far enough cuz I never saw the tunnel.

T G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 10 2018
Hiking

Ticks! Lots and lots of tall grass and ticks! Hard to find tiny black ticks on a big black lab :-( lesson learned. Stripped my boys as soon as we got home and we all showered. Beautiful scenery but definitely be prepared for the ticks. Yuck.

View T's Recording
Liz Immel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 03 2018

Thought someone should mention that the dirt road to the trailhead is a bit bumpy and only 1 lane. I wouldn’t recommend taking a low riding vehicle to get there

Lanie Gadberry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 14 2018

We were really excited about this hike. We drove a hour to it.. our 7 yr old was so excited about the tunnel... so the first part of the hike is completely up hill the hole way, we got to the top and didn’t see the tunnel so we went back down hopping we just missed it... but no its at the top around the corner from the sign.. we where so upset we missed it and worked that hard to not find it... so for those going to the tunnel go past the sigh at the top.. on the way down its really easy and goes by fast.. enjoy

Casey Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Dec 10 2017

Great hiking spot.

Sarah Brandenburg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 07 2017

Beautiful at sunset!

Caleb Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 14 2017

Not bad. Probably better in spring time.

Becca Pierce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 06 2017
Hiking

Nice challenging incline on the way up. The way down is quick and easy. The tunnel is pretty small and insignificant but still cool. My recording should say 1.9m, I forgot to turn it on until part way thru the hike.

Hayley Rohde
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 07 2017
Hiking

Decent hike, the tunnel was smaller than I expected. Glad I did it, but probably won't do it again.

holly navarro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 02 2017
Hiking

Not as kid friendly as I thought it should be. but they managed.

Jon M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 07 2017

Quick trail to get you into the main trail system. It does go up to start but it's not that bad. I suspect that it'll be really dry and brown in late summer.

jolene pease
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed May 10 2017

ALL UPHILL!!!

Cecilia Shoop
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 06 2017
Hiking

It is a lot up hill at first. But it is sooo Beautiful up there. The hole family did it and even our dog.

Karen Haraldson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 02 2017

love this app...thanks for sharing all the wonderful outdoor activity in our area.