Tunnel Ridge Trail

Tunnel Ridge Trail is a 1.7 mile out and back trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

When you reach the sign that says Sterling Mine Trail System: Tunnel Ridge Trail 2km/1mi; Little Applegate Trailhead 8km/5mi; Bear Gulch Trailhead 5km/3mi, you are actually standing just about over the tunnel. If you take either trail a little further, you will reach the tunnel. The passage is clear but you will have to duck if you want to walk through it.

I'm giving 3 stars cuz what I explored was really pretty but I am pretty confused on where to go when I came out there. there was a little parking area that said tunnel ridge day use with what looked like a start of a trail but then directly across the road was a start to another trail that listed multiple trails such as bear gulch which I had seen pics of on this app so I followed that trail since i had seen pics on here but I think it was the wrong start or I didn't go far enough cuz I never saw the tunnel.

Thought someone should mention that the dirt road to the trailhead is a bit bumpy and only 1 lane. I wouldn’t recommend taking a low riding vehicle to get there

We were really excited about this hike. We drove a hour to it.. our 7 yr old was so excited about the tunnel... so the first part of the hike is completely up hill the hole way, we got to the top and didn’t see the tunnel so we went back down hopping we just missed it... but no its at the top around the corner from the sign.. we where so upset we missed it and worked that hard to not find it... so for those going to the tunnel go past the sigh at the top.. on the way down its really easy and goes by fast.. enjoy

Great hiking spot.

Beautiful at sunset!

Not bad. Probably better in spring time.

Nice challenging incline on the way up. The way down is quick and easy. The tunnel is pretty small and insignificant but still cool. My recording should say 1.9m, I forgot to turn it on until part way thru the hike.

Decent hike, the tunnel was smaller than I expected. Glad I did it, but probably won't do it again.

Not as kid friendly as I thought it should be. but they managed.

Quick trail to get you into the main trail system. It does go up to start but it's not that bad. I suspect that it'll be really dry and brown in late summer.

It is a lot up hill at first. But it is sooo Beautiful up there. The hole family did it and even our dog.

love this app...thanks for sharing all the wonderful
outdoor activity in our area.

Kid friendly!

The trail is an easy trail however it is all up hill. It does level off in a couple of spots. when you get to the top, there is signage showing the directions of the other trails, just turn left and head down a ways and the tunnel is on your right. you do have to crouch down to go through it though. Enjoy the hike and scenery, after all that is what you are out there for.

Wonderful hike it is steep starting out. The trail is nice and we'll cared for. Along the ditch beyond the tunnel is a flatter trail and easier hiking. went about a mile past the tunnel. The return trip is fast.

Was an easy fun hike. The trails can be confusing on which way to go at first, but you can figure it out. There's a ton of beautiful scenery. A lot of it is uphill so be prepared for that. On the way back at around 5 something we heard a loud noise like a log coming down the hill and saw movement and we think there was a bear behind us. Other then that it was fun and so worth it.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Steep 1 mile up to the tunnel, nice and even 3 or more to other nearby trailheads!

Monday, February 20, 2017

sunset is gorgeous!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

This trail is more then 8mi round trip. The trail head entrance this location takes you to starts 1 mile away from tunnel ridge trail. from there it's another 3 mile hike to the tunnel. Glad I went early enough to have time to go the extra 6 miles. Still a nice hike with a great bench view of the nearby valley. The tunnel is creepy but a lot of fun to go through. If you have the time to drive out there then check it out.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Super fun trail for the kids! When we got to the top of the ridge we couldn't find the tunnel at first then realized we were standing right on it.

Saturday, January 21, 2017

i love love love love this destination

Sunday, November 06, 2016

It's more like 4.6 miles to the 'tunnel' a lot further than you think! Prepare for about 9 miles around trip.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Lots of gorgeous madrones along this trail. They may outshine the destination.

Monday, September 05, 2016

This is not an easy trail. Uphill all the way. Scenery is nice but not spectacular.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

this hike was beautiful and super easy to get to. one thing I would like to make clear, not kid friendly. I took two small kids with me, whom have been on plenty of hikes but the trails are about 15 inches wide with huge drop offs to the side. there is also a ton of poison oak, on the bright side the kids can identify it now.
besides that this hike is easy, really beauitful landscapes, i would definitely go again. oh, and there was a fair amount of bear scat so heads up.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Nice well rounded trail! Had a lot of shade so it was a nice hike even on a hot day

Monday, May 09, 2016

1.2 miles just to the trailhead, very easy on the trail with mark well. 8 Miles from where we parked our car and all the way back.. issue was he found lots of ticks on the dogs as well as ourselves. .. but the most exciting part were breathtaking views!!!! really wish we could put pictures on the reviews LOL 5-8-2016

Tuesday, May 03, 2016