Tumalo Mountain Trail

Tumalo Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sunriver, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

This mountain has one of the best views in central Oregon that easily accessible. To the north is broken top mountain with the high alpine scenery. To the southwest is mount bachelor. There is minimal blowdown each year and all the snow is gone by July.

Excellent hike with stunning views on a clear day! Tough incline heading up, but well worth the views. Snowshoed in mid- March

Great views and a really nice trail, hard hike but a good challenge

Snowshoed on a clear day in January. Followed previous tracks up, and blazed our own trail coming back down. Quite steep at the final ascent, but manageable. View from the top was breathtaking.

By following the existing trail forged by those before me, I went straight up - round trip with some wandering around at the summit left my GPS showing only 2.98 miles. Snow was an icy pack the whole way up. Summit would be fantastic... On a day without a complete whiteout. Still worth the trip, great length and strenuous for a weekend day hike between breakfast and a late lunch. I look forward to going up in the spring.

Beautiful hike for snowshoes. Trail is covered so you’re at the mercy of the previous snowshoer who picked a pretty spicy grade up to the top.

Awesome in January!

Was extremely cloudy and snowy when we were on top. Some pictures going up looked beautiful. Trail signs in winter we’re not very visible and took a completely non trail path up. Very hard and steep in snowshoes. Over all weather held this one back.

skiing

Beautiful views! Needs more snow for skiing down

snow shoes were a must!

pretty steep near the summit. Very snowy most the way up. Brought my snowshoes and that helped a ton! Beautiful views at the top!

Definitely moderate. The view at the top is well worth the 2 miles up a mountain. It took about 1 and 20 minuets on the way up and about 40 minuets to get back down but we were going slower in some spots because of the ice on the trail. I will be doing this hike again it was breathtaking.

Thoroughly enjoyed the hike up Tumalo Mountain. Even wide enough at points to walk side by side making for good conversation while hiking.

Good incline hike withe beautiful views from the top. Very smoky today with light trail activity.

This hike would have been absolutely lovely had the fire smoke not been so thick today. Got to the trailhead at 10. Only 1 other car there. Hike steady incline the whole way and dusty but not bad. Up at the top the visibility was zero! Could not even see base of Bachelor. Breathing wasn't an issue with smoke. Hope to go back when clear to get the views!

A really good uphill where getting to the top is well worth the aching legs.
Even with the fire haze the view is amazing.
Be prepared to eat some dust especially if it's a bit windy. But what's a little dust to hikers??
Watch your dogs and kids on the edge. We saw parents that allowed their approx 6 year old start walking down the edge in the pumice skree. One slip and he'd have quite the rough ride down. Stay safe, stay on the trail and enjoy!

straightforward to the top. Good views of Bachelor and the 3 sisters.

Great hike .... was very foggy though

TH is NOT marked on the highway. Pull off and park at Dutchman Flat/SnoPark for Tumalo mtn TH.

Harder hike that I expected at the beginning, but the views are incredible! PS, prepare to get full of dirt and dust.

One of my favorite hikes. A good workout, beautiful hike, and gorgeous views!

Not an easy one with a pretty much non-stop uphill climb but the view at the top is so amazing. Lots of space up top for a picnic and relaxing to enjoy the view. Only saw a few mosquitos. This is also a great snowshoe hike (unmarked though) in the winter.

Mosquitos if you stop moving! Always worth it though

Good, well marked, steep climb, with a view that is worth it!

Nice views at the top, but otherwise not terribly exciting, good to get heart pumping atleast.

Gorgeous views from the top of Bachelor, Broken Top as well as the other 2 Sisters. Still lots of snow on the trail and we got sidetracked several times (pro tip, look for the dirtiest snow trail and that is where to go). Sunscreen is a must. Sunglasses are a must (snow glare). Hiking boots recommended. Hiking poles not necessary, but we wish we'd had them. Definitely not a good hike right now for anyone with balance issues or knee/ankle injuries. Bugs were out a little (each got one bite). Hike is deceptively tough given that you're 1. navigating crusted snow for 50-60 feet at a time, 2. Its straight up the mountain side, only switchbacks are at the vey top, and 3. The altitude will kick your butt if you're not from the area.

Did this for Sunrise, and absolutely did not regret it. The views from the top are amazing, and the hike really wasn't that bad. I think we actually made it in jussssst about an hour.

One thing though, I would HIGHLY recommend downloading the AllTrails map for this, and taking a fully charged phone. We had a headlamp, but it was still pretty difficult to find the trail at the beginning - especially when it's dark out. The map data is spot on though, and totally helped us get back on the trail multiple times. It's better marked the higher you get, but we would've been totally lost at the beginning without GPS.

PS: you definitely don't need crampons right now. Someone told us we would need them, so we bought some and brought them along, but hiking boots were more than sufficient.

Great hike and beautiful views at the top! Still some snow coverage along the middle portion of the trail but it wasn't too difficult. Just make sure you have a good pair of boots!

Snow in many many places along trail. We lost the trail for a while, but got back on. Yak trax and poles were helpful. I came down on my butt in some places because it was easier and pretty darned quick. 2 hours up, 50 minutes down.

Monday, May 15, 2017

5/15/17
Rented snowshoes at powderhouse on the way up, glad I did as I could see postholes from people who tried to walk in the snow. I made it to the top with the snowshoes on in a little over an hour and it was about 1.3 miles on snow trails to the top and very steep. The top is incredible! I made the trek back down to the parking lot in 40 minutes. The entire hike was snow. The only spot with no snow was the parking lot. A great workout!

Monday, May 08, 2017