EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Tumalo Falls Loop

Tumalo Falls Loop is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bend, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,220 feet Route Type: Loop

Users have reported that the gate is subject to weather related closures which can make the trail longer by foot. Loop trail past Tumalo Falls, Doulble Falls, Upper Falls, North Fork Falls, and Spring Creek Falls. The viewpoint for Tumalo Falls is a few steps from the parking lot or a short trail to the top. The 89 foot fall along Tumalo Creek is one of the tallest and most beautiful waterfalls in Central Oregon. The area around the falls experienced a forest fire 25 years ago. The USFS has developed viewpoints both at the top and near the base of the falls making the views easy for everyone. Beyond Tumalo Falls you can continue along the river to Double Falls. Many people stop here and turn back around. If you continue on you will see 3-5 more waterfalls but you will have to ford the creek (unless you can find a fallen log to cross). After you ford the creek you will come across the Bend Watershed. There is no camping allowed inside the watershed.

IMPORTANT TIPS: 1 -- Have a $5 bill and a pen with you: otherwise risk a parking ticket; one is required to put $5 in an envelope and write your car info on the envelope, and there is nobody there to make change. 2. Print out or download the trailmap prior to heading out. There is no data service in the area, and the Falls Loop is not denoted on the poorly marked trail map posted at the trailhead. Okay, now that that is out of the way, the hike from the trailhead up the North Fork Trail #242 is nothing short of absolutely beautiful. I lost track of how many waterfalls we passed, but it seemed like it was around 10 or so. Also, the North Fork Trail is replete with tall trees, providing not only beauty but quite a bit of shade. Now, onto that printing out of the trailmap I had mentioned.... we forgot to do that, and when we took a break at the four-way trail junction at Happy Valley, I had told my friends that I felt confident that the Loop trail was to head back 0.3 miles to the previous 2-way fork and take the split trail back to the car. Unfortunately for me, a trail map existed at the 4-way junction to Happy Valley and we were not seeing the Swampy Lakes Trail denoted. Not only that, but a biker asked us if we needed help, and one of my friends said yes... he said the only way back was to take the Metolius to the Mrazek Trail, and my companions voted to do this. This turned our 7 mile hike into an 11 mile hike, and although parts of the Mrazek opened up to truly majestic views (reminiscent of the Blue Mountains of Australia IMHO), the bulk of the Metolius and Mrazek Trails were nothing special. Next time I come, I'll have a printout of the trailmap with me so that I can't be talked out of heading back via the Swampy Lakes Trail. :)

Beautiful Friday hike, parking was not an issue, and trails were easy to follow. There were plenty of opportunities for pictures and breaks if needed. Traffic was not bad at all.

We loved this trail. We did this one a year ago, but I forgot to review it. The waterfalls are stunning. There are several on the trail if you keep going. We got there pretty early so there was only one other car and plenty of parking available. It’s an easy to moderate hike with plenty of photo ops by the waterfalls. Watch out for mountain bikers. We had to move to the side for several of them on the way back. It got super crowded by the time we were coming down. It would not have been as enjoyable if we started later with all the crowds.

The waterfalls were spectacular but the trail was kinda boring. No views, tons of mosquitoes, the California Tortoiseshell butterflies were pretty cool. Wound up trying to hike the loop and got turned back at the creek crossing. Probably could have made it but better to use discretion when hiking alone. Plus the water was frigid!

I would give this trail 10/10! Absolutely would come back to visit. Tip: go up 24.2 trail and come down #24 Going up will be a little steep but the views are absolutely amazing, so many waterfalls and great places to take pictures. On the way down I would recommend running down or jogging, it feels light and easy coming down. Definitely a lot more bugs on the way down, running helps keep them away!

Start with Tumalo falls and keep going. So many more upstream. Just beautiful! The road is open to the trailhead but still patches of snow at the higher levels.

Tried to do this hike - followed directions to trail head. Wayyyy off the beaten path. Nowhere to park. Poor directions.

Beautiful waterfalls! The hike is alright but definitely worth it for the waterfalls and great photo opportunities

This is a must do hike. Water, water falls, outstanding. as of June 1 2019 there is a lot of snow still on the ground after the bridge which is about 2 miles in. We never found the upper bridge that would have gotten us across so we could do the hike as sloop. We still had a great time and we were happy we had started early. Parking lot was jam packed on our return.

closed

Gate was closed. Covered in snow. If you walk from the gate it adds 5 miles and I didn’t have time to hike it. Sad since I was really looking forward to it.

A lot of tourists here. I would recommend way early morning or later evening. The loop trail itself isn’t a hike. There are many connecting trail systems that could make this one though. Also watch out for mountain bikes and have a pass.

This a great hike for all levels. I would call the loop “easy” for hikers considering you go by at least 10 waterfalls, if not more counting the little ones. This is a must do hike!

We hiked the first half and saw 3 or 4 falls. We hiked out and back to same way. I carried our small dog in a carrier. We loved it!

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with this hike. The most effort that I had to put into it was getting parking. The waterfall was at the beginning and you didn't have to walk far from the parking lot to see it. There were mountain bikers everywhere and at time made it difficult to get past them on the narrow parts of the trail. They were even in areas the the signs said they weren't allowed. This made it hard to enjoy the trail. As beautiful as the waterfall was, I prefer to work to get to it, not walk 1 minute from where I parked.

Took about 2 hrs 45 min going a moderate pace. First half of trail has several waterfalls and is shaded. Second half is mostly sunny and away from the water. Dogs are also not allowed on the second half which is why many recommend doing this as out and back. There are a couple places where you cross the river on logs. Overall an a great hike with gradual elevation gain, most of the trail is pretty flat after the initial ascent. I recorded it as 7.7 miles not 6.9 as app indicates.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Beautiful hike! There is now a log “bridge” that has been installed so you can cross the river without difficulty.

Sunday, August 19, 2018

This is more an easy moderate hike. Yeah there is an incline for the first half, but with all the waterfalls, and a nice gradual climb there’s not much effort. After you make the turn left to finish the loop, it isn’t the best, but you are rewarded with a few falls that most don’t see and no crowds. Worth it and enjoyable.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

This was an amazing hike! So many different waterfalls to look at. The only reason I docked it a star is because DOGS cannot complete this loop. You can go three miles to the turn off but dogs are not welcome in the Bend Watershed Area. Your options are to turn back and do it as an out or back, or take a right at the turn off, and continue to the valley. If you choose that route you can complete the loop but it adds 5.6 miles to your hike. It’s also on a ridge line so make sure you have water for you AND YOUR PUP!! enjoy! Follow all our adventures on Instagram @themicrotourists!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

My family and I hiked this trail Friday July 27th. The hike up was stunning with all the waterfalls. When we got to the junction to head back the map didn’t show how to cross the creek. My wife and oldest daughter forged the creek while my youngest and I went up stream and crossed on some downed trees staying dry. I would agree with another reviewer that an in and out hike is better than the loop. The second half is less scenic, more narrow and sunny. Over all I highly recommend the hike!

Monday, July 30, 2018

Really nice hike with tons of waterfalls to be seen. The map here is extremely accurate and really helped to have it downloaded. Several waterfalls are accessible but the water is super chilly. The 1st half to the Bridge Creek crossing ( ford the creek) is well shaded. The 2nd half is mostly in open pine, sun exposed and lacks a bit of scenery. Great trail but I might suggest doing and out and back from the fall to Bridge Creek crossing.

Friday, July 27, 2018

This is an absolutely amazing hike especially if you like waterfalls. It can be as easy or challenging as you want it to be depending on your pace. The trail is in great shape all the way. If you are doing the full loop, the 1st half is much better than the looped way back. If I do it again I’d just go up and back the same way.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Great trail if you love waterfalls - in the end I forgot to count how many I saw.

Friday, July 06, 2018

I thought this trail was incredible there was a lot of different scenery. First part is mostly all uphill. Just past the halfway point the trail is hard to find. You can cross over a fallen tree and get onto the trail there. Do early to avoid crowds.

Friday, July 06, 2018

Beautiful trail . 3 waterfalls in the first mile. Shady Forrest most of the way. Very few hikers. Great views of the river and waterfalls.