Tumalo Falls Loop

Tumalo Falls Loop is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bend, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Loop trail past Tumalo Falls, Doulble Falls, Upper Falls, North Fork Falls, and Spring Creek Falls. The viewpoint for Tumalo Falls is a few steps from the parking lot or a short trail to the top. The 89 foot fall along Tumalo Creek is one of the tallest and most beautiful waterfalls in Central Oregon. The area around the falls experienced a forest fire 25 years ago. The USFS has developed viewpoints both at the top and near the base of the falls making the views easy for everyone. Beyond Tumalo Falls you can continue along the river to Double Falls. Many people stop here and turn back around. If you continue on you will see 3-5 more waterfalls but you will have to ford the creek (unless you can find a fallen log to cross) After you ford the creek you will come across the Bend Watershed. There is no camping allowed inside the watershed.

This was an amazing hike! So many different waterfalls to look at. The only reason I docked it a star is because DOGS cannot complete this loop. You can go three miles to the turn off but dogs are not welcome in the Bend Watershed Area. Your options are to turn back and do it as an out or back, or take a right at the turn off, and continue to the valley. If you choose that route you can complete the loop but it adds 5.6 miles to your hike. It’s also on a ridge line so make sure you have water for you AND YOUR PUP!! enjoy! Follow all our adventures on Instagram @themicrotourists!

My family and I hiked this trail Friday July 27th. The hike up was stunning with all the waterfalls. When we got to the junction to head back the map didn’t show how to cross the creek. My wife and oldest daughter forged the creek while my youngest and I went up stream and crossed on some downed trees staying dry. I would agree with another reviewer that an in and out hike is better than the loop. The second half is less scenic, more narrow and sunny. Over all I highly recommend the hike!

Really nice hike with tons of waterfalls to be seen. The map here is extremely accurate and really helped to have it downloaded. Several waterfalls are accessible but the water is super chilly. The 1st half to the Bridge Creek crossing ( ford the creek) is well shaded. The 2nd half is mostly in open pine, sun exposed and lacks a bit of scenery. Great trail but I might suggest doing and out and back from the fall to Bridge Creek crossing.

This is an absolutely amazing hike especially if you like waterfalls. It can be as easy or challenging as you want it to be depending on your pace. The trail is in great shape all the way. If you are doing the full loop, the 1st half is much better than the looped way back. If I do it again I’d just go up and back the same way.

Great trail if you love waterfalls - in the end I forgot to count how many I saw.

I thought this trail was incredible there was a lot of different scenery. First part is mostly all uphill. Just past the halfway point the trail is hard to find. You can cross over a fallen tree and get onto the trail there. Do early to avoid crowds.

Beautiful trail . 3 waterfalls in the first mile. Shady Forrest most of the way. Very few hikers. Great views of the river and waterfalls.

In the winter we hiked the road which was closed. In the summer went from Skyliner to Happy Valley and back. Beautiful in any season!

This trail was a lot of fun! The views of the waterfalls got better the farther we went.

This trail is really not very interesting - I don't understand why it gets such good reviews. It's an average walk through the forest with just occasional views of waterfalls.

Very well maintained trail, not a lot of signs but you can follow the trail. We made it a little bit more after the Double Falls. A lot of bikes passing through. Make sure to stop and enjoy the view, there a few view point after you pass the Tumalo Falls.

Beautiful trail, not very well marked. We ended up hiking in about 3.5 miles then hiking back out because we couldn’t find the connecting trails to make the loop. Gorgeous waterfalls and a few ankle and knee high patches of snow at the higher elevations - even on Memorial Day weekend!

The trail above the falls had more snow than expected. I had no snow shoes with me so hiked back on the creek trail which was also snow covered. I look forward to coming back!

You can see the Falls from the trailhead. However the gravel road to trailhead is closed, so it is a 3 mile easy hike with no elevation from where you park to the trailhead. Continuing on, trail had icy spots

We hiked this for the first time today. After completing about 2/3 of the trail with a “tromped path” in the snow, we turned around bc it was new to us and there were significantly fewer tracks...we’ll be back in the Spring!!!

I've never seen so many waterfalls in one hike before! I unfortunately did not get to complete the loop because I lost the trail in the snow 2/3 that way around the loop and had to turn around. Will return in the summer to complete!

awesome day!

Nice hike along the river past 10 or so waterfalls. A couple of the falls are great for photography if you're willing to haul the weight. The trail through the watershed needs some maintenance but wasn't bad. There is no bridge at the stream crossing near the turn around. A couple logs upstream will get you across.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

The waterfalls along the first half of this hike are amazing. We had to cross the creek after getting on swampy lakes trail and it was almost waist high so just a bit of caution if you're doing the full loop.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Awesome hike! Although, I was so distracted by the views that I didn't make the loop (ran out of time). My hike went up North Fork Trail and back, but not quite to the next trail.

Monday, June 12, 2017

nice trail not to crowded.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Hiked this trail and really enjoyed it. The road to drive straight up to the falls is out currently. Which was fine cause we really wanted a great hike. There was still a little snow which made it even better. But it didn't effect the ability to hike. Mid week and mid day was a great time to go. Not very populated.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Two hiking paths. Two totally different views. Heavily trafficked. Family hike. Worth the drive.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

This was a very nice hike. If you're a seasoned hiker, it's fairly easy. For those who don't hike often or are not used to the altitude, I would say it's moderate. We did the whole loop, but the part coming back wasn't anything overly breathtaking. (You do get a bit of a "lost in the woods" feel on that part, and it's far less traveled. We literally didn't see a single person on the way back down.) I would recommend that you stay on the main trail going up and then turn around and take it back down. A very beautiful hike.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Well maintained. This trail takes you past waterfall after waterfall! We have an eight year old and a ten year old and they did great!

Friday, June 28, 2013

I loved this hike. beautiful waterfalls, however it is not 5.7 miles. It is 8.3 miles and you can't have your dog on a chunk of it.