Trillium Lake Loop Trail

Trillium Lake Loop Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 26 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

bridge out

A portion of the boardwalk is currently closed due to construction. Visitors may walk around the lake to either side of the closed area, but it is not possible to complete the full loop at this time. For more information, please see https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mthood/recarea/?recid=53514. NOTE: The road leading to the lake may close which adds approximately 2 miles to the entire length of the hike.

beautiful lake, bridge was out so had to come back.

bridge out

There are multiple bridges still out and (according to the park ranger) no estimated time for this to be fixed, but still a great little hike.

Easy level loop with terrific views of Mt Hood.

closed

Trail was closed about halfway and had to take the service road around or turn back, so we turned back.

My girlfriend and I hiked this loop in the crisp morning in the dead of winter . It was a bluebird morning and we threw in the snow shoes and it was such a magical journey . We enjoyed it so much and even in the snow is a great trail for the kids and dog lovers. I will say that for the most part snowshoes were not needed . But that’s not always the case so better to be prepared . Happy trails !

bridge out

Good, easy hike. Not too busy this time of year. Part of the trail is out, it’s blocked off (see photo attached). We went past the signs anyway and it was just a little wonky. Just use caution and it’s fine. Very easy, very picturesque. Also, road is not closed anymore. Lots of campers by the lake with cars and tents.

Just finished this hike. The road is still closed, but there's no sign of snow anywhere except for small patches in the woods. The lake is thawed and there's no snow on the trail. Today was extremely foggy and cloudy so we couldn't see Mt Hood at all. Decent hike, but maybe save it for a clear day.

05/06/19 Beautiful views of MT. Hood and not really packed in the spring time. road Is still closed due to snow. trail around lake is closed because of repairs.not a bad hike to the lake, patches of snow but nothing to bad. definitely plan on doing it again in the winter.

Great hike for kids, adults and water dogs ! Beautiful views and lots of water access. Go early in the summer months to miss the crazy water loving crowds .

bridge out

The lake and view are gorgeous. I met a kind man who works for the park service and we shared mutual concerns for the state at which visitors leave the trail and park. Many beer bottles, misc. trash, and signs of disrespect litter the trail. I took snow shoes and strongly advise others if making the loop around the lake to do the same. There are many parts where the snow is still deep and soft. The bike trail is a fun alternative for a return trip to the parking lot.

The snow road was closed so it’s a 2 mile hike down to the lake. I felt like it was worth it because once I got down to the lake It was gorgeous. I went on a Monday afternoon and I passed maybe 15-20 people. Could have taken a dog but mine doesn’t like The snow.

bridge out

Due to the snow, you have to park about 2 miles away from the actual lake. The sign says closed, but you’re allowed to park in the lot and hike through the snow. Once we got to the lake, the view was absolutely gorgeous. We started on the trail around the lake and stumbled upon a large section of the trail that was closed due to boardwalks being broken. We still wanted to see everything, so we decided to make our own trail and go around...while we were able to make it, the snow is extremely deep in places and not very packed down (as expected), so it was quite difficult it maneuver through. But with a map and a GPS, we made it around the closed portion successfully. Definitely a pretty view and fun adventure, but be warned that you will need hiking poles and water resistant shoes at the very least.

The road to the lake is still covered with about 2 feet of snow. That said, I parked in the parking lot right off the main road, and walked in to the lake. I only had hiking boots, but they were enough. The view of Mount Hood from the lake, was an ample reward for the wet boots!

The road to the lake is closed so walking it adds ~2miles to the round trip. We had micro spikes, saw others on xcountry skis and snowshoes. Snow was packed so walking wasn’t bad. We went to the day use area and had a killer view of Mt. Hood. No need to even hike all the way around the lake to check it out. Fairly well trafficked trail. Great way to spend an afternoon.

We did the trail from the snow park on Hwy 26. Did the whole loop on X-C Skis. There were 7 of us including our 5 yr old. My ski tracks app said it was about 7 miles. But there was a few up and back to keep the family together. Had a great time. Exhausted. But a true blast.

We hiked from the beginning of the road off 26 to the lake. It was packed snow and pretty easy to hike to the boat launch. We didn’t actually do the trail around the lake, there was a sign up that said part of it was closed for repair anyway. Hiking from the sno-park area to the boat launch and back was about 4-5mi. Beautiful to see the lake in winter conditions—the snow is just starting to melt and you could see a giant crack down the middle of the ice on the lake!!! Can’t wait to go back in the summer and do a comparison pic

skiing

It's near the end of the season, so put away your snowshoes and have a great walk down to the Lake. The road down to the day use area is fully compacted, and there is an easy foot trail from the road down to the Lake. I got down to the Lake about 7:15 to watch the sunrise over the mountain.

Gorgeous camping!

Beautiful in the snow! Started around noon. Full parking lot. I did it solo and felt safe. Snowshoes are not necessary. I would only bring them if it snows the night before. the trail is longer do to road closures. Trail head starts almost immediately off the freeway. if you just want to see the lake covered in snow go left when you get to the first fork.

Wonderful place to hike for first time snowshoeing.

Fun winter hike wound up being longer than planned because of road closure and lots of snow. Only recorded last third but was so much fun! Ok with just boots. Snowshoes would probably have been better but not necessary.

The road to the campground is closed during the winter, so the trailhead is right off the highway. Snowshoeing this route is over 5 miles round trip, as a result. You really don't need snowshoes since the main trail is groomed, but I suggest taking them and going off trail when you get to the lake. We hopped down to the shoreline and snowshoed around the lake and through the treeline. I'm giving this 3 STARS only because it was hopelessly packed with people and it was more of a walk than actual snowshoeing. But the view of Hood was amazing! Don't forget your snow park pass!

Had a great hike Sunday here, it's so pretty in the snow! Definitely longer than 1.9 miles but there are probably other trails

We left late by accident (alarm was set for the wrong day lol) , got to the sno park around 9:30AM, parking wasn’t too bad, but I recommend getting there between 7am-8am if you can! Snow was groomed enough we took our snowshoes off about 3/4 way to the lake and didn’t put them back on. REALLY busy heading back, and the sno Park was PACKED when we left around 12:30pm.

Awesome snow trail. packed from snowkats, so no post holing.