Triangulation Peak and Boca Cave Trail

Triangulation Peak and Boca Cave Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breitenbush, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

An easy hike with fantastic views of Mt. Jefferson and a little know gem of a cave that frames the mountain in the distance.

Absolutely beautiful! This hike was so fun! Even though it was super Smokey and I couldn’t see very far it didn’t matter. I love every part of this hike. Finding the cave was like finding and oasis in the desert..., a much appreciated cool reprieve from the heat. Beautiful views of Mt Jefferson. Perfect length and difficulty level. Just watch your feet on the rocks and roots during the first half or so. Easy drive to the trail. Some gravel road but doable in any car.

Great hike with incredible views. We went on a clear day we could see mount hood and the three sisters. It’s a bit steep at the end but totally worth it. The area where the cave was is completely burnt. However, still highly recommend!

This trail was not bad, however I felt the need to constantly watch my step during most sections to avoid rocks and tree roots. The hike isn’t strenuous until the switchbacks at the end and the rewarding views at the top make it all worth it. Bring more water than you think. The trail to Boca cave was very dusty and dirty due to the remnants of the fire. I had my 14 year old and 10 year old and the cave “trail” gave me some mom anxiety. Haha. It’s very steep and slippery. Coming out of the cave was wet and very steep for the first section. I recommend traction shoes. We were all very dirty at the end, but what an amazing view!

This is a great hike with amazing views of Mt. Jefferson and other cascade mountains. It isn't usually packed with people, which is nice. The forest is beautiful and you get a treat at the top with plenty of private spaces to sit and view. If one was inclined, there is plenty of tent space at the top too. Since the burn, we didn't hike down to the cave this trip. It is a sad site to look out on all the burned up forest, but beautiful all the same. This hike is a good workout, but easy enough for anyone in decent shape.

Made it up in 45 minutes just in time for sunset! Beautiful hike, views and setting!

Another one of my favorites I've discovered after moving here a couple of months ago. Good hike with moderate incline and light traffic. long drive up the side road to get there but well worth it. would do again

Great hike! Got there around 11:30 and there was still parking on a Sunday. Made the mistake of branching off too early in hopes to find the cave (wait until you’re practically on the peak) but that turned into a nice rock climbing trip! Trail to the cave is very dusty from the fires and the trees radiate some heat still. Saw only about 5 people the entire time. Would recommend

Great Hike with spectacular views. Cave is tricky to find. You’ll need to go up to your left about 0.1 mile before reaching the trail peak.(we actually found it on the way back down which would be on your right). A rock with “cave” and and arrow points the way from the trail (see photos added to this site). Hike up about 200 feet, head toward the right where you will see the burned out forest. Cave is down and around burned out area..(around to the left) Dusty, ashy hike but very worth it!

Trail incline increased noticeably over the last portion of the path but what a wonderful view at the end! Path to the cave is through an old burn. Had to follow footprints in the ash/dust. We didn’t have any trouble but I can imagine if you were the first one after a rain It might be hard. The framed view from the cave is very unique.

So I tried to find the cave but was unsuccessful, when I took the right path (triangulation peak) it dead ends to the peak, where do I go from here?

Hike to a trail junction and head right that’s labeled “triangulation peak”. From that sign you’ll go up nearly 0.7 miles to another (unlabeled) trail junction. To the right is a very short distance to the peak. To the left you make your way down some burned trees about 0.3 miles and take a left around the large rock cliff to get to Boca Cave!

Phenomenal! Definitely a moderate hike. I found the trail marked 3372 fairly easily. There’s really only one fork, and it has a sign. Boca Cave was pretty easy to find as well. Did it with my pup, she loved it. Verizon service at the top fyi. It’s definitely on my go to list now.

OMG! beautiful hike ! One of my favorites so far. Drive up was super easy. It turned into a gravel road and I have a little car, but it was very well maintained, not one pot hole. hike was easy in the beginning. Got more uphill at the end, but wasn't awful. At the top the trail goes left or right. left will take you to the top then follow the trail to the right down the burn and around to the rocky side of the mountain on the left the cave is hidden back in there. it's huge you can miss it. make sure on your way back you go to the other trail that split off to the right. It's a super short hike to the peak with beautiful views ! breath taking hike, I can't wait to go back !

Beautiful Hike, Amazing Views of Mt Jefferson.....I Love It. #TheSignaturePicture.

Once you find the trailhead, it's a stellar hike! Don't plug 'Triangulation Peak' into the GPS- Instead, from the Detroit Ranger Station, travel east on Hwy 22 for 6.2 miles and turn left on to McCoy creek road (Forest Road 2233). Drive for 7.3 miles to a three-way junction and make a sharp right. Then it's another 1.3 miles to the trailhead, which is on the right. (Trail #3373). Pretty moderate hike and gradual elevation gain. the view is breathtaking on a clear day with Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, North, Middle, and South Sister. The cave is not too hard to find, either. Before summitting Triangulation Peak, there's a path that veers to the left through some sparse brush. head down that path for 0.2 miles. It's very dusty, since you're hiking through trees affected by the wildfire. But the cave is just around the large rocky mountain towards the left. Amazing spot!!

The drive to the trailhead; accessible by bmw? My truck is down!

Did this hike 6/28/18 beautiful hike, fairly easy in the beginning. After the trail splits (you go to the right toward the peak) it gets a little more uphill, but still gradual. Not very wide in most areas, so beware if you have children, the dogs were fine. Gorgeous views at the top despite last years fires, well worth the walk. Trail to cave is accessible, just be cautious as I saw several slips and a fall while visiting.

trail to the cave not clearly marked. recent fire damage. only reason I hiked this was for the cave. never found it.

All clear, some snow/slush puddles on the trail that are easily traversed. The trail down to the cave is pretty loose and involved a lot of ash and charred soil, but doable.

road clear to the top beginning of the trail head the first .25 mile down trees but it open up snow on the switch Back on the Eastside slop but it walk able and people have marked it walking on top the snow the lower trail is still closed

Tried to go up last weekend but there was too many downed trees still. Road is open and has been cleared but the trees must have fallen after. No snow. Great hike when you can make it.

I bet it's beautiful! Tried to hike this a week ago and it's closed off due to a fire a few months back. If you try to attempt it, you'll only get about a quarter mile in before you're completely blocked. Not worth attempting it until they reopen it. It's a trek to get there too so just wait. Hopefully this will open in the sprig because I bet the views are amazing!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

According to the USFS website, portions of Triangulation Trail is closed due to an active fire burning in the area.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Great hike, pretty easy until the last 0.8 miles when you start some switchbacks. Bushes are overgrown onto the trail wish I would have worn pants. The views we phenomenal!

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great hike. Started at 3 pm on Monday and finished about 7pm. Pretty easy hike until just before the peak then it is an uphill climb but its nothing too crazy. Had my dog with me and she was off leash she did perfectly ok and because there was no one on the trail I let her roam. Getting to the cave was little less than easy because it's not an up kept trail but it is managable. Overall great trail, beautiful scenery, and easy hike.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Got to the trailhead about 8am yesterday. (Saturday) Hiked to the peak first and met a couple of campers who told us how to get to the cave. The trail is pretty moderate and flat until you get to the sign for the peak and loop trail. Stay to the right to get to the peak. Before you get to the peak there's a trafficked trail that goes off to the right. That's how you get to the cave. A little ways up the cave trail there's a small 3 ft part of a broken tree with a pink ribbon. Turn right there and keep going down a steep down hill slope about 1/4 of a mile and it'll loop around to the cave. It's a little hard to find if you don't know where to go but so worth it!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Nice hike. Beautiful view! Went up yesterday, started at 10 am and saw a total of 15 other people on the trail. At the peak we climbed the tallest rock and ate lunch on the top. Amazing view of Jefferson, South Sister, Three Fingered Jack and Hood! The trail to Boca Cave was pointed out to us by another hiker. I'm not sure I would have found it on my own. The cool cave was perfect after the hike up to the peak! Saw a lot of huckleberries setting. I'll definitely return when they ripen.

Monday, July 10, 2017

We had a great hike to the summit and to the cave. Such a perfect day for the hike and there were no other people up there.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Monday, June 05, 2017

Couldn't do this hike again because of the snow blocking the road. Maybe in a few more weeks it will be cleared!