Trestle Creek Falls Loop

Trestle Creek Falls Loop is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Culp Creek, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until November.

cave

Two falls, lower and upper falls. To visit the upper falls from the trailhead, follow the path to the right as it climbs, steeply at times, up through a series of switchbacks. Moss-covered old-growth Douglas fir and cedar tower above the trail and Trestle Creek canyon. After 1 mile, the trail reaches the base of the 90-foot-high Upper Trestle Creek Falls. The falls drop from an overhanging basalt bluff and into a moss- and fern-lined pool. The trail then passes behind the falls, and back down a meandering trail for another mile to Brice Creek. Turn left and follow the creek upstream. After 0.5 mile, a short trail to the left leads 0.25 mile to Lower Trestle Creek Falls (To reach the parking area, continue straight for 0.25 mile.). This 45-foot-high fan cascades down a moss-covered basalt rock face and into a small shallow pool. This is a photographer's playground, from the old-growth cedar and fir to the moss- and fern-lined creek and falls themselves. The best light is in the early morning or late afternoon.

What a gem! Coming down the trail was a bit tricky and slippery due to loose dirt/rock, but overall a great time. One of the foot bridges are broken, but easily passable. We took a left at the at the path intersection and found the lower falls.

started early and encountered noone on the trail, wildflowers are blooming, both falls are running, just an awesome hike!

Great not as well know waterfall trail feat. two falls. The hike is fairly easy, moderate rating I believe is due to the uphill section for the first two miles to the Upper falls. Another reason, and I'm surprised not more people mention. The trail around behind the falls, from below facing it, looks as if the trail has been washed out. I weighed risking it, as I am 260+ lbs. and was hiking alone. I decided to forge on and was glad I did. Around the bend just before going behind it does get very hairy, especially with how wet and muddy it was at this point and time. I took it slow and was careful with my footing. To those who question if it's passible; it is, just watch your step, it's well worth it. Going behind is what makes this into an approx. 5 mi. loop and gets you back to your car, shortly after meeting up with Bryce creek trail. Don't forget to checkout the lower falls just before the end.
Great hike! Worth the drive and not too busy early morn. in later April.

Spectacular hike! Around every twist of the trail was a fresh display of nature that was more breathtaking than the last. Even the drive in was gorgeous. I came in from the west on Row River Road which turned into Brice Creek Road and brought me into the National Forest... I had originally typed "Upper Trestle Creek Falls" into my GPS.... I never found out where my GPS wanted to take me. I took one look at the tiny, scary, one-lane, gravel path called "National Forest Rd 2232" it urged me to turn left on and decided nah, I don't want to die today. I had ZERO phone service at this point (I'm from out of state, not sure if local phone carriers provide better coverage in this area...) but I figured I'd carry on down Brice Creek Road. There were little campgrounds, picnic spots, etc along the way and in short time I came across "Brice Creek Trail - East Brice Champion Creek Trail head" which was a great place to start. There was a outhouse and a board that had posted some directions for different trails, and there were signs marking how to get to the upper and lower falls along with how far each was. The temperature was supposedly near 50 degrees, but it felt chillier in some areas. It was super damp and chill near the falls, and the weather was on and off sun/sprinkles. I was grateful for for my layers and raincoat to adjust along the hike. I took about 3 hours to do the 4ish mile loop. The trails were a little snowy in some spots, and other spots required a bit of balance and coordination, so I definitely took my time. There were also lots of nice spots to just sit and take in the beautiful creek, falls and forest. All in all it wasn't too challenging or strenuous, though. I think it required the perfect amount of effort for a nice afternoon hike :)

This hike was magical as it happened to be snowing when we did it. We didn't do the lower falls because of time but the upper was incredible. We connected this to the Brice Creek trail and had a blast. Will be excited to see it in the summer too.

Super fun hike. Lots of wildlife and not to crowded of a trail.

Great Views of forestry and hills in distance on the way. Waterfall was amazing!

This was a great hike!

Wonderful short trail. These waterfalls are worth the drive.
Here is my video on the place:

Started on upper trestle creek falls TH. Got to the falls around the 2 mile mark. Maybe a little after. Consistent uphill but not too difficult. My 4 yo walked the whole way. To continue on the loop walk behind the falls. Could be scary if wet. Continued on the loop to lower trestle creek falls. You will come to a junction where you can either go left or right, go left to stay on the loop. Then you will come to a fork with a sign for the lower falls. An additional .3 miles. Come back on that trail and continue on the loop. (You will exit on Brice creek TH) Total of 4.5 miles. Would love to go back when the falls are fuller. still beautiful. Family friendly.

Love waterfalls. Always worth seeing once. A lot of people. Never what I'm going for I dislike stopping in a regular to let people pass

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I've been doing this trail for over 20 years. I always combine it with Brice Creek Trail. I usually put in at Cedar Creek campground or West Trailhead on the Brice Creek Trail. When you combine the two trails you get approximately 13.6 miles of adventure for an out and back trip. I've done hikes, trail runs, and mountain biking here. It's enough of a trail to make you feel like you have accomplished something for the day. Upper and Lower Trestle Creek Falls are rewarding vistas. You can finish off with a swim in one of the many many swimming holes and camp at the end of the day. Side note. I'd like to invite hikers to carry some sort of drop bag so we can pack out some of the litter that gets left behind. Not just for this trail, All trails. Happy trails.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Easy, short trek. A great little hike on a hot day...most of the trail is under tree cover and you end up at a falls, unless you choose to continue through along the BC trail, which is a great trail.. quite a bit longer.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Directions to this trail are pretty spot on. There is a tiny "parking spot" that might fit 2-3 cars across the narrow road from the trailhead. It is almost exactly right after the bridge at Champion creek, a bit up the road from Lund Park. Starting on the upper falls trail is longer and steeper but you can't hate a hike that makes you sweat! Plus, going this way first gives you a great first view of the upper falls, which were totally worth the work out (the "moderate" rating is up for debate). The trial leading behind the falls looked like it wasn't passable but it was easy and really great. I can see if you do this hike in wetter weather, it would be extremely dangerous.
Then it is a shorter downhill hike to the junction with the Brice Creek trail. That junction is a sharp left turn, it will take you to a bridge, the left turn to take the .25 detour to the lower falls is right before the footbridge. At the time I write this, some of the signs have been left leaning against trees, not in their usual spots. Anyway, the short hike up to the lower falls is worth it! If you've ever tried to go to Oneonta Gorge and had to deal with tons of people, this is like a mini version of that with less people. So cool!

Great hike, skinny, steep and rough trail, hard to pass other people that's how skinny, but worth the drive. During the date hiked LOTS of mosquitoes, bring bug spray.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

The Upper Falls was quite a surprise! Technically, the trail is "closed" due to logging until end of April, but I didn't see that sign until I finished haha.

Overall beautiful trail/are!

Monday, March 13, 2017

nice water fall, loop trail that connects with Bruce Creek Trail as well

Friday, September 16, 2016

great longer hike. unpopulated and seemingly isolate. trees were mossy and the logs were loggy. 10/10 would hike again.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Nice trail. Great little hike.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Cons: mosquitos when it's hot, some super steep parts of the hike, and I've never walked through so many spider webs in my life.

Pros: the waterfall, walking behind the waterfall, dipping your feet in the pool, when you hike back you don't run into any spiderwebs because you already knocked them all down on the way up. :)

Overall worth it. The waterfall was beautiful and it was a beautiful hike.

Monday, May 09, 2016

gorgeous great for kids 5 and up, great for dogs

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Perfect loop trail. Waterfalls are beautiful with the bonus of walking behind them. Got some exercise and photos of spring flowers! Would definitely do again.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Great hike! Worth the hike ☺️

Monday, April 18, 2016

This is a fun trail, not difficult with a good dense forest pathway at times. The falls at the top is unique, given you can walk right behind the water. Worth the hike.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

great parking, loop trail heads start together. path is well maintained. I suggest, start on lower trail head, stop at lower falls, then head up to the upper. very well worth the hike when you come around the corner. Very awesome.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

A lot of interesting points along the trail: beautiful creek, big rocky outcrops, pathways forged over fallen trees, a walk behind a waterfall?! Plus rugged enough to make the trail feel adventurous to an amateur like me:)

Monday, February 15, 2016

This is a great hike! All up on your way to the falls but worth it !

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Was longer than he 3.6 we were told, cranked out a 5.67 hike. Went in via the Brice Creek trail and followed the signs to the falls. Did it with a dog and pair of 5 year olds and a dog. Looks like there have been some slides, and some parts are fairly gnarly. Worth it, though.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hiked from Lund Campground to add a little distance (GPS said 5.8 miles total) and spend a bit more time along Brice Creek. Hiking on a cold November morning made this a very intimate journey (I did not meet anyone on the trail for the 3.5 hours I spent).
The two falls were beautiful, especially with a dusting of snow and icicles all around the cliff's edges.
This is the kind of hike I will want to do again at different times of the year as it probably provides a much different experience.
I will also be looking at the whole journey along Brice Creek in spring or summer to get to enjoy some of the many spots along the creek that can be reached from the trail.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

It's a beautiful place to see and sit under a waterfall for a bit

Monday, October 19, 2015

You see a lot of different lengths given for this trail, so I'll add a comment clarifying. The loop itself -- from the Champion Creek trailhead to the upper falls, then back along a short segment of the Brice Creek Trail -- is the 3.4 miles listed here. If you do the spur to the lower falls, that adds 0.6 miles total. Then there are of course lots of ways to extend the hike along here, by turning the "wrong" way on the Brice Creek Trail for example, or by exploring a bit of the area around the upper falls.

Also, I'll reiterate that the trail goes behind the waterfall -- there was a dry path through when I was there in October, but I imagine it gets slippery so wear appropriate footwear. Or don't, and just have fun walking behind a waterfall!