Trappist Abbey Logging Road Forest Loop

Trappist Abbey Logging Road Forest Loop is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lafayette, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful hike on a bark dust / logging road around the Trappist Abbey. This is an easy hike to do, as the path is broad and easy to follow, though there are some nice hills that will get your heart going at the start. The route starts off on a bark dust trail which takes you up through a picturesque oak savannah and into a beautiful Douglas Fir plantation. There are multiple branches of smaller trails from the main road, or you can stay on the main path and follow it as it becomes a logging road that loops around again to the abbey. An easy all-season hike that offers beautiful views of the surrounding valley.

Never hiked before. A buddy and I who have been working out and losing weight for a month now decided to try this out and whoa! A lot of reviews say easy - for us not so much haha! The hill at the beginning seemed like it would never end. The views are nice. The quiet is peaceful and very enjoyable. The gravel road going downhill is annoying. Some muddy places but not too bad. We were the only ones on the trail which was nice. Saw some people down by the guest house but no one on the actual trail. Reviewing on the trail itself, the views and the overall experience. We recorded 3.3 miles instead of 2.7. Also,, the elevation recorded said 581ft but the trail map we were on says 769ft at our peak. Not sure what that's about.

We are excited about exploring more trails and can't wait to keep pushing ourselves to be healthier and see some cool places along the way!

It was really challenging for someone that’s never done it before, but I loved every minute of it. I’ll be back for sure to beat my personal record.

Lovely, quiet, easy!

A great family hike. We’ve been here several times, but never this time of year. Expect some mud; The kids had a blast getting dirty!

Nice and easy walk if you’re looking for that. Beautiful and quiet. Love the difference in trees in the different elevations. Not necessarily worth going out of the way to get there but great for me since I live nearby.

Great Sunday morning stroll basically in my backyard. Lots of side trails to extend the distance a bit! Definitely bring towels if you’re taking your pup.. Very muddy this time of the year! :-)

Expect some mud..

Great hike for young kids.

fun little quick trail, first part is a bit exhausting as it's all uphill, but after that it leads way into the Forrest with ferns and moss covered trees. fantastic!

Beautiful trail, but we only made it to the logging road. Because it has been so dry, the logging road has a thick layer of very fine dirt that rises up and gets in your shoes. Wear appropriate high-top shoes that you don't mind getting dusty.

Awesome good views

it was a nice hike but the trails are poorly marked. also, the gravel rocks on the main trail were really hard to walk on. some were almost golf ball size that hurt my feet going downhill.

A bit confusing at beginning and end of loop. It is a logging road with heavy gravel on second half of loop. Nice views of woods and meadows.

Did this hike 7/1/2017 and found that I had to keep moving due to large numbers of biting flies. More of a nuisance than a serious problem, but I wanted to do some photography (landscape and wildflower macro) and that was problematic. Don't know if the flies are just a transient phenomenon, so my star rating ignores them. Main loop trail is as described. Side trails are not maintained and there is quite a lot of poison oak. Description says 2.7 miles but I measured about 3.3. Your mileage may vary (literally :-) They will give you a map at the guest house but it covers only a hike to a small Virgin Mary shrine and not the full loop.

One of my favorite quick hikes that only minutes away from me! Beautiful views!

Peaceful and such a nice walk. Not clearly marked. And is 2.7 the out distance? We may have missed a turn, but ours was significantly longer than 2.7. Still had a great time

perfect trail for a 3 yr old and me lugging a 1 year old.

Loved this trail. I went on a hot day and the shade of the trees kept the trail quite pleasant. I took the loop counter clockwise which meant a quick steep hill followed by a long downgrade. Went on a Tuesday late afternoon and didn't come across a single person.

I found this trail very peaceful and beautiful. Was a little muddy still but it is spring time!