Trail of Ten Falls

MODERATE 1,239 reviews

Trail of Ten Falls is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Silverton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

hot springs

bridge out

A trail in Silver Falls State Park past 10 beautiful waterfalls, perfect for the whole family. This casual hike through a beautiful canyon in Oregon's largest State park takes you past ten beautiful waterfalls ranging in height from 27 feet to 178 feet and 4 of them you can even walk behind. There are plenty of benches to rest at and the trail is extremely well maintained, perfect for the whole family. The park itself is 9,000 acres and contains over 24 miles of trails for biking and hiking.

Awesome hike and you get to see some really cool waterfalls. Love that you can walk behind some of them. I would grab a map at the start as there are some forks in the road. Cafe is a cool place to grab a beer when you finish.

Easy hike over beautifully maintained trail system. This park was created during depression days by the CCC and WPA programs. Cool history and awesome terrain. Fairly heavily traveled but no bikes or dogs. A real pleasure.

We knew going in that it would/could be a crowded trail, since we were going on a Sunday. My boyfriend and I arrived around 1 and finished the whole thing at 4:30. Not as crowded as expected. Great hiking weather. All around great time.

This trail is amazing! Doing the entire 8.7 mile long loop took me about 4 hours w/ stopping frequently for photos. The first loops of the trail are heavily trafficked but if you continue past the Winter Falls loop there is only light traffic. There are areas that are slightly steep but not a lot of elevation gain overall. The falls are beautiful!

Awesome Hike, highly recommended!

Very nice hike, with beautiful scenery. A lot of people were not very friendly and didn't smile, something we are not used to. It was nice to see Rep. Adam Schiff on the hike, that was very exciting. My wife and I enjoyed the hike and will definitely be back soon. We will most likely rent a cabin to make it more memorable....

Must see! My 8 year old did this hike and loved it! Will be going back in the spring for sure.

absolutely awesome. well worth the full hike of all 10 falls. bring snacks and water as its almost a full 8 miles especially if you need a bathroom break

Well trafficked but absolutely gorgeous waterfalls. Best in spring or early summer. By July the Winter Falls were dry. Great swimming holes, bring your suit and have a dip if it’s hot.

Since the Eagle Creek fire I've been on the hunt for trails that felt similar to my beloved Columbia River Gorge. Silver Falls is unique offering family safe hiking that allows you to experience several massive falls in a relatively short loop. I loved being able to go behind the falls and actually touch the roaring spray. The views are stunning. If you go during the hottest months bring plenty of water. I visited in early July and some brave teens hiked down to the water. The water was far too cold for me to swim but if the trail gets too hot go ahead and jump in. Be careful when you plan your trip because it is a very popular tourist attraction. The weekends get crowded. There is a cafe, interactive center, gift shop and bathrooms on site. There are also picnic tables if you choose to pack your own lunch.

Stunning views but busy in the summer.

Great hike! Easy hike for the whole family. Today was the beginning of a holiday and very crowded. Get there early and get a good parking spot. Like another poster said, start from the South Falls parking lot !

Hiked the 7+ mile loop for the second time with friends from Ohio. The weather was perfect, the trail was dry and the trail was not too busy for a Thursday. The only downside, this time of year the water flows is low, so not as much water going over the falls. We did it in just over 3 hours.

such an amazing hike! I loved being in the rainforest setting and getting to see all those waterfalls, as someone from Kansas, was so fucking legit!!

i went early (just after 6am) and went in from the north falls location. The trail is very well maintained and definitely the easier side of moderate if you're somewhat active of a person. We enjoyed a lot of tomfoolery and lollygagging and turned it into a 10mile, 6hr hike but so worth taking the time to stop and enjoy everything and take a few breaks for the people less accustom to hiking in my group. the codes were great, very few areas had any issues as far as overgrowth etc. I will say that if you're going to actually enjoy nature go Early! towards the end of the hike there were a lot of younger folk who were trampling off trail and getting down screaming in the water under some of the falls and very little trail etiquette. I will definitely go again.

Beautiful old growth forest some of the greatest waterfalls you’ll ever see. Great hiking trails. Trails get slippery when it rains and they can be snow covered in the winter. The waterfalls are beautiful in the winter if you can get to them. Safety is a concern on the trails when there is snow. If planning on camping you need to get spaces weeks or months ahead of time. Camp sites are crowded and close together. There are cabins and yurts, but you need to plan months ahead to get any of them. There are horse camps, bike trails, summer camps, family camps, picnicking, swimming, special events- civil war reenactments, history lectures and space to get away and be by yourself. There are spaces large enough to play football or baseball. The hike around the falls is the big attraction. The hike is easy with a few steep spots, but do to the length of the hike it should be and is listed as a moderate level hike. You can drive to several of the falls and take short hikes to see them. This is the largest state park in Oregon. Be sure to bring your camera to get pictures of the falls, wildflowers and old growth forest. A great place to build family memories.

Just amazing! Great for families and the views are breathtaking!

We just did this one a few weeks ago. We meant to take the shorter loop by cutting off that panhandle but missed the turn and ended up doing the whole thing in about 3.5 hours. It was beautiful. A bit crowded but it was a gorgeous weekend so it's to be expected.

Seriously amazing!! Seeing 10 waterfalls in 3.5 hours is pretty incredible. I guess it was really 9, the winter falls was dried up. One of my favorite hikes ever. Cool, shaded, beautiful paths, very easy terrain, and lots of water!! Not very busy on a Tuesday morning. Perfect hike for a warm summer day.

Beautiful falls loop

Beautiful, beautiful trail! Very well maintained, I would rate it as easy over moderate. I would recommend starting at the North end, as it is not as busy. Long stretches of quiet and solitude, mostly ran into people at each waterfall. Bring a bathing suit!

Plan to spend the entire day. My favorite waterfall trail so far. I feel like the map can be a little confusing. The color maps at each waterfall are easier to understand. If you can't do the entire thing, do the upper falls! So worth it. The Fitbit said we did 10 miles when we were done. I don't think it tracks the in and outs to each waterfall spot. Parking is paid, card only.

Absolutely incredible trail. Got up at 5am with the girlfriend, made our trip from Eugene shortly after and started hiking from the South falls. Great hike, very well maintained, not ruff on the feet. Said we did 64 stories at 9.1 miles. Amazing views, with multiple spots to sit an snack. We wanted to come here 3 weeks ago but the directions on this app led us to the opal creek trail instead, which was way far away from this hike, still don’t understand how the directions are so off. The address here is 20024 silver falls hwy se. sublimity Oregon 97385. Follow the road and the signs to the North or South falls parking sites. Otherwise you’ll end up like us a long ways off the 1st time hiking the wrong trails.

Hiked 7/14 (Saturday) and it was very busy at the South Falls where we parked but plenty of parking and room to spread out. First part of hike was awesome, traffic thinned the farther in we got. Picking up a map at TH was helpful. We would cut out Rim Trail if we did it again because it follows the road (but the trees are gorgeous). North Fall is worth seeing, don't take the cut and miss it. Plenty of places to pull over and rest, even behind the falls. We had a delicious lunch and local drafts after at the South Falls Cafe. It was awesome: clean restroom, refillable water station (around side), and a great patio to sit, enjoy, relax.

Hike is about 8.7 miles if you explore the entire loop. Truly a beautiful hike. more easy than moderate, although a few spots have quite a few steps and some points of rapid elevation. Started at the south entrance as suggested and traffic was light once we got going on the trail. Definitely worth it.

Definitely start this hike early!! It gets incredibly busy towards late-morning/mid-day. Also recommend starting at the North end trail-head. You won’t hit much traffic until you reach the last 3-4 miles of the trail. You can also hike down to a few of the waterfalls for a swim! Trail is lined with strawberries/blackberries/raspberries most of the way, so the smell is amazing in the summer! Do be prepared for a nice little hike up a decent amount of stairs.

Get there early. We started at the North end at 9am and it was not crowded. By the time we hit the South end about 11am, it was packed. We continued on to do the loop. Beautiful hike and well worth, you can walk behind most of the falls. When it gets crowded, it is hard for everyone to fit behind the falls though.
One after another, we could not stop taking pictures through the Old growth forests. It is a moderate hike, with switchbacks.

I love this hike! The south falls can get a bit crowded but it’s worth it. I starting hiking at 8am and didn’t run into too many people!

Trail of Ten Falls ~ Silver Falls State Park

Absolutely incredible hike today with Marcus and Arianna, had a blast with all the falls! We started at the South Falls TH and right out the gate South Falls is 177 ft, this will be the beginning point of our ten-mile journey. Next stop is the Lower South Falls, this 93 ft gem is cool and allows you to go behind the falls for some cool pictures. Another 1.25 miles down the trail brings us to the Lower North Falls that is only 30 ft tall and feels less impressive after the first two but still cool. Next stop hung a quick left before crossing a bridge to find ourselves ready for a break and hitting Double Falls. One of my personal favorites of the day and the tallest waterfall of the day. This beauty was 178 ft tall and you can walk right up to the base for some cool pictures, worth checking out. Next up crossed the bridge to Drake falls and was my least favorite of the day, cool viewing platform but you can’t see much of the 27 ft falls. Middle North Falls is our next stop and it’s 106 ft falls and wasn’t chained off today so pretty cool site! At this point we are so into seeing all the falls we didn’t notice how far we have come, we are about halfway on the journey already. Twin Falls is only 31 ft tall but pretty cool how they split in two and makes for some good pictures. Next up is a mile to the North Falls and it’s 136 ft tall with a Volcanic Cave behind it, tied for my favorite of the day. This spot was amazing to stop and have lunch and cool off, incredible cave behind the falls, makes for some great pictures and people watching. Heavily trafficked area at this point we are close to the next parking lot. Sit down and take a look at this crazy formation of Volcanic Rock above you and brittle rock eroding below you, super impressive and worth a trek back here someday. Pass through the hundreds of people parking and viewing the falls, Upper North Falls is 65 ft and the last one before we head back. Pretty cool spot to stop for a minute and rest, watched a couple dogs swimming at the bottom of the falls having a great time. At this very moment we are 6.7 miles in at 2 hours and 56 minutes with an average 20-minute mile, not bad considering we are enjoying every site we can. Heading back to the last falls of the day was Winter Falls, it’s 134 ft fall but was not active at this time of the year. Barely a trickle over the rocks so we didn’t make the trek down based on all the disappointed faces coming out of the canyon lol. Last leg of the day for 3 miles with no falls was a nice hike, I had an absolute blast with my kids.

Walked the full 7.6 mile trail.
Friday was pretty busy in the area near South Falls, less do near a North falls. Very quiet in the backcountry. Still lots of water in the falls and perfect temp at 70.