Learn more

Trail of Ten Falls is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Silverton, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Length 7.6 mi Elevation gain 1,194 ft Route type Loop

Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

A trail in Silver Falls State Park past 10 beautiful waterfalls, perfect for the whole family. This casual hike through a beautiful canyon in Oregon's largest State park takes you past ten beautiful waterfalls ranging in height from 27 feet to 178 feet and 4 of them you can even walk behind. There are plenty of benches to rest at and the trail is extremely well maintained, perfect for the whole family. The park itself is 9,000 acres and contains over 24 miles of trails for biking and hiking.

Parking is $5, lots of parking, picnic tables, and coverings. A gift shop and cafe are located in the park. Don't want to pay for parking? Start at the North Falls trailhead and take a super-quick hike to Silver Falls State Park. There's also another free parking lot that's entrance is about .2 miles north of the main entrance. In the winter they lock-down the main lot at 5pm.

Day use permits are required year round and as of this writing cost $5 with an annual pass costing $30. Pets are allowed in the park and the picnic areas but are not allowed on the Canyon Trail of Ten Falls. The park is open year round. In the dryiest months of August and September, the waterfalls lose much of their water but in the spring months and rainy winter months the falls are powerful but you might get wet on the walk.

Drive Interstate 5 to Salem. Drive east on Highway 22 to exit 7, signed for OR Highway 214. Continue on 214 4.2 miles to Silver Falls State Park. Turn left into the first entrance you'll pass. Pay at the toll booth if it's open, or use the drop box. Alternatively, from the east side of Portland, you can take Exit 10 on I-205 and drive south on Oregon 213. Highway 213 heads straight into the old downtown district of Silverton. Turn left on to Highway 214 and drive 14 miles to the Silver Falls State Park. pass North Falls Trailhead on the right, the parking area for the North Falls Viewpoint and the Winter Falls Trailhead. Soon you'll see signs pointing out South Falls Lodge to the right.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1838)
Photos (3951)
Recordings (937)
Completed (6655)
Emmilea Perkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 12 2020
HikingFeeMuddy

Beautiful hike! Definitely go early. Started about 9:30 with almost no one in the parking lot, when we finished around 1 it was completely overflowing. Be courteous and mask as you pass!

View Emmilea's Recording
Madeleine Schwartz
Great!

Really great trail with gorgeous views! Not too steep or difficult throughout. It got very crowded near the end, and people were not wearing masks. In general, definitely worth doing this trail!

Micah Grady
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 11 2020
HikingFeeGreat!MuddyRocky

Nice trail, skipped north falls. Otherwise pretty easy, no bugs, but a lot of mud.

Amy E
HikingMuddy

We did this hike on 7/10. Beautiful. Wildflowers. Ferns. Opportunities to take side hikes to other falls. We started at 11. Parts of the trail were quiet and others were packed. Some masked. Some not. I make a plea to all parties considering this hike...take dog poop bags to help pick up other peoples trash- we found drinking bottles, lids, plastic wrappers, sunflower hulls and yes, baby wipes from trail bathroom breaks. It was sad and heartbreaking. Although All Trails Users know this- pack it in - pack it out. We have to preserve these areas for all to enjoy.

Chair K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 11 2020

This hike was a ton of fun! There were enough views to keep us distracted. We found that the trail was one of the easier moderate trails that we have done. It was muddy and wet is some places. We found that the trail was 8.5 miles, not 7.6 as reported. We finished the hike in just under 3 hours but the trail was pretty quiet at 8:30 am, which helped. We began at the south falls and made our way to the upper falls and the rim trail to complete the loop back to the south parking lot. The bathrooms at the South parking lot were decent.

Misha Stroyev
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Hiking

Great and easy trail for seeing some beautiful waterfalls. A LOT of people at the closest waterfalls to the entrance, but if you venture out further you get away from the crowd. I highly recommend only if you go further out into the trail :)

View Misha's Recording
Brianna Vicars
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 09 2020
MuddyRocky
Sarah Deputy
HikingFeeMuddyRocky

There is a small fee to park. We started at the South Falls and took the Canyon Trail to the Lower North Falls, to the Rim trail back to the south falls parking lot. Some spots are slick rock and I was grateful to have brought the walking stick. The Canyon Trail was where the waterfalls and best views are, the Rim trail just goes through some gorgeous forest areas. I can honestly say I’m exhausted. Also the trail loop says 7 miles but I logged in at closer to 10 total, and I cut the bike path at the end with the more direct Rim Trail to the lot. We didn’t really do any off shoots except the couple of little jogs sideways to see the other falls not directly on the trail. That said, the little jogs didn’t count for the additional mileage, they were literally right there off the trail. And we skipped upper north falls. So plan on closer to 10 miles total.

View Sarah's Recording
IRENE GARCIA
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 09 2020
Hiking

Went last year for all ten falls and it was way worth it !! Took a teenager with me and he did a great job !

Megan Holt
Hiking

This is definitely not 7 miles! It was 11.7 miles, but it’s so flat it goes by like a breeze! Only took close to four hours. I took two boys I watch along are both under 10 and they did great since we’ve been working on it! Definitely a beautiful hike and not too challenging!

Jorge Orozco
HikingFee

A beautiful and well kept trail with very manageable elevation gains. People of just about any skill level and age should be able to walk this trail without much concern. The total distance I traveled was 11 miles which included small detours for good photos in approved side trails. The bathroom facilities are nice.

Marc Shumaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 08 2020
HikingFee

Following this path is actually a little over 9 miles, as a heads up. Parking is $5. Lots of beautiful falls, really only the first few falls are busy, once you are 3 or 4 miles in it’s not nearly as crowded.

View Marc's Recording
Korri Kopsi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 08 2020
HikingGreat!

This hike is out of this world. It is like a shotgun blast of waterfalls. I found the hike to be a bit longer than estimated as some of the falls require you double back to do the loop. It was fairly manageable and I only found a few areas to be very strenuous.

Melea Wilder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingMuddy

super fun hike, get to see lots of waterfalls and pretty views. it’s the perfect length for a day trip.

Carley Feil
Hiking

Easily one of the prettiest hikes I’ve done. I’m not much of a hiker but there was so much to distract me while being on the trail. Lots to look at and surrounded by beauty. I looked at reviews prior to going out and didn’t see anything regarding COVID-19 on here so it needed to be mentioned. Signs are posted about 6ft distance at the trailhead which is great but no one was wearing masks while on the trail today. It is tough to maintain a 6ft distance when passing on the trail so be aware of this. I ended up turning my back towards everyone who would walk by. I think we ended up passing only 4 people who had masks on.

Melissa Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 06 2020
Hiking

One of the prettiest hikes I’ve ever done!! First time to Oregon didn’t disappoint. The trail should be called trail of ten falls (and then some)!! Hiking behind the falls was amazing. A little crowded at some but we did the whole loop and there was not too much traffic. Highly recommend!!

Khue Xiong
Hiking

Great trail. There are plenty of waterfalls along the way. There are ten but I lost track of how many I actually saw. There are many opportunities to walk behind the waterfalls. Paths are well maintained and easy to walk on. This trail seems to be family friendly.

Haley Edie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

Nice trail that is a relatively easy hike. A couple steep inclines and declines depending on which direction you take. Getting there early (before 10am) would be recommended especially on the weekend as it was very crowded by the time we left. We did the entire loop and saw all the waterfalls. About a mile in by each parking lot was packed with people (we hiked July 3rd) but petered out the farther you went. Very beautiful waterfalls. Though a few are hidden back a bit though you can still see them through the trees. Would recommend getting an early start and packing your patience for around the falls by the parking lots. Overall this reminded me of a long nature walk. With all the off shoots it was 8.83mi (recorded with Apple Watch) and it took 4.5 hours with a lunch break and myself taking photos with my camera at the falls. Only giving 4 stars because of the crowds. It was frustrating but with COVID everyone was spaced out and this made things slow.

Michelle Ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

Perfect day for a hike. Im so glad we arrived early as the parking lot was full when we were leaving around 1 PM.

Ant Raidz
Hiking

The best hike of my life.

Kelly Fluitt
Hiking

Spectacular waterfalls! We arrived early in the morning (7:30) and parked in the South day use area. Plenty of parking. Not many people were on the trail until 10 AM or so. Definitely recommend layering (it was chilly at the beginning of our hike). One of the prettiest trails we have ever been on! Will definitely return and try to camp in the park someday.

Irina Bukatik
Hiking

beautiful trail. took about 5 hours with plenty of stops, rest and picture taking. the full trail might be a bit challenging, but worth it!

cameron glynn

great trail, just wish someone had mentioned pets werent allowed on the trails. great views of the waterfalls and this location is very popular and therefore crowded.