Toothpick Trail to Catwalk Trail Loop

Toothpick Trail to Catwalk Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ashland, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lovely running loop

I finally finished this trail and didn’t like it. It took me two hours to complete it both ways and the end of the trail is just what it looks like a parking lot. You cannot go further that point because it is only for bikers. I’ll try not to take Cay Walk next time.

very nice trail, meets up with catwalk and a couple others

Description is misleading as there is no loop unless you return by the road the trail intersects with. Strictly forest trail, I spotted only one vista. There is a web of trails weaving across the ridges and slopes with names related to Alice in Wonderland, which added whimsy for an otherwise dull hike. Toothpick trail is short and you can connect to any of the other trails to extend your hike. Just keep track of where you are because it’s a maze up there! Most fascinating to me were the dozens of mountain bike trails criss-crossing everywhere. Sadly, the plastic tape strung between trees and many signs advertising bike routes and warnings for bikes took away from my enjoyment of the hike. The mountain bikers that passed us were very polite and conscientious.

Great mtn biking trail, but beware of dogs not on leashes who cause hiker/biker conflicts. I’ve ridden this trail for decades and the riders I know are courteous to other users.

I really liked it. We didn’t have enough time to finish it, but I’m definitely going back soon. It is really obvious that this trail is heavily used it by bikers, but we didn’t go during peak hours (6:00 pm) so we didn’t find anyone else beside us. There’s not enough space for parking and the road is really narrow (small enough for just one car) so if you miss the parking spot, it could be tricky to turn around.

Fun trail to run with some decent climbing and roller coaster twisty turny switch backs. We went on a Tuesday morning and had no trouble with the trail being crowded but I could see it being an issue with lots of bikes on the weekend. Great trail for off peak hours.

This would be a nice hike if it weren't for the rude and dangerous mountain bikers. It is called Toothpick for a reason, very narrow often with no room on either side and the bikers come flying down the hill not even having the decency to tell you there are others behind them. Definitely not good for taking your dog.

I have little respect for these bikers.

This is a beautiful area, but not great for hikers. There were multiple groups of mountain bikers and we had to be constantly be ready to jump off the trail. If you’re a mountain biker, this is a great trail!

this was an awesome Trail did not realize how stupid was close to the top but we managed with a toddler screaming at us the whole time LOL

Very hot in August! Great for biking!

So beautiful! The weather today was perfect for this hike and the views were breathtaking. Pretty easy hike with a few inclines but nothing to difficult. Narrow trails which makes passing people with a dog a little difficult but it wasn’t too busy early in the morning so it was fine. Beautiful hike, I’d definitely recommend it.

Definitely the busiest of the Ashland Watershed trails that I've hiked, and by busy I mean the most people I've ever run into is probably 10. I have to agree with Deborah Dols in that heading out on Lamb Mine is awesome and beautiful and pretty untrafficked. Check it out!

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Awesome day for this beautiful hike. Not a lot of traffic. Would love to do again and take the PCT to Mt Ashland.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Both Toothpick and Catwalk are beautiful trails. If you keep going on Toothpick to Land Mine trail, it's a gorgeous- short hike, not a loop though. I think one of the prettiest trails in the area, shady and cool for the most part.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

stunning

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Got a little lost on the southeast sharp turn. Must have missed the sign as I ended up on a little trail which wandered all over...had to bushwhack down to the main trail. Otherwise, a good hike. The north side was lush and cool.

Sunday, January 14, 2018