Tom McCall Point Trail

Tom McCall Point Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near The Dalles, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

This trail is closed due to muddy conditions October through April. The type of soil at Tom McCall is very clay like and makes for a slick and dangerous trail in the rainy season. Also, hiking while the trail is muddy causes more damage to the trail itself. This is a great day hike in the Columbia gorge! You get exceptional views of the gorge as well as Mount Adams and Mount Hood. Wild flowers like lupine, paint brush, fox glove, and wild rose, arrow root etc can be viewed. Please beware as you traverse the oak forest as there is poison oak mixed in with the true oak. For a real feast for your eyes go the extra bit down the south west trail and up on the adjoining hill great views and a lovely spot for a picnic.

The run down is SO worth the thigh burn on the run up. Great views from the top. Really windy lately, and I recommend a hat as you’re in direct sun for a good portion of it.

Intending the shorter Rowena plateau hike missed the loop and found myself going up and up and the multiple plateaus provided captivating shots of Adams and Hood and of course the Gorge. On one particular switchback the purple and blue button head flowers on the right side going up were pretty brilliant capturing rain flow from the upside of the trail. Bugs were very mild mostly in the treed areas sheltered from the mild winds that were welcome to keep me cooled off as well fight off those I'm sure would have been there had the day been calm. I ended the hike on the last grass plateau before I could see it make a sharp decline heading east into the forested area and back up another steep ascent to what I'm guessing was close to the end of the trail. Having just finished off the Mosier Plateau trail figured I'd save it for another day. Very enjoyable hike that I'd say firmly fits the moderate level. I knew this area was a snakes paradise as the whole Gorge is really and was warned by a hiker descending passing me about mid way but did not see a one. The TH area here off the Historic Highway 30 is a large scenic area even if you're not looking to exert yourself. I'd do this one again next time to the Points end.

This was a great hike - the views just got better and better the farther you went. The incline seemed pretty relentless but it was our second hike of the day. It was a bluebird day and the views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams were spectacular! At the trail head, the hike is listed as 3 miles in and out - not sure if there is an extension that gets you to 4.5...the flowers were fading - next year we will go in May. We saw very few people on the trail.

Great hike! Went two weeks ago and the flowers were pretty much gone. There was a lot of poison oak and quite a few rattle snakes on the trail. It’s worth going early spring when all the wild flowers are out!

Awesome day. Windy but fun.

Worth the trip to the top! Winding trails with beautiful views.

Wild flowers in full bloom with Mt Hood and Mt Adams visible. Ran into a rattlesnake but came away without ticks.

Nice hike. Very windy. I went on a 74* day. It is a light to moderate traffic trail. Very little shade. If you go, take plenty of water, sunscreen and good shoes . As said before there are no bathrooms and no where to really sneak off the trail. We’ve all done it, don’t judge! Did see a few patches of poison oak, and came home with 2 ticks. Flowers, trees and views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams are worth it. Saw some amazing rainbow clouds!

Flowers in bloom right now. Nice hike .

Really beautiful hike but my god was it hot! Drove down from the Seattle area to do a few hikes along the Columbia Gorge. This trail had me stopping constantly to take pictures and also cool down. Worth the climb and sun exposure.

NO PUBLIC RESTROOMS as said before. I chugged a coffee and a bunch of water before my 90 min drive from Portland and let me say it was NOT fun to find a private area to go. Also you hear lots of rattlesnakes scurry off and there's tons of poison oak so BE CAREFUL. Besides that- it's a GORGEOUS trail. Tons of wildflowers, decent incline and absolutely beautiful! Very little shade and pretty dusty, so do it in decent time. I started at 11 and was done by 1. I didn't use sunscreen and was burnt beyond belief, that was dumb on my part.

Warning- it’s hot. Please don’t start the trail with small children past 1-2. Very limited shade on most of the trail- direct sunlight! We saw SO many hot kids and hot dogs- they were strugglinggggg. There are NO bathrooms and very limited private forrest areas. Don’t say you weren’t warned ;)

The wildflowers are beautiful. The views are stunning. Wonderful trail- stable ground, firm path, not too steep- utilizes switchbacks well, only a few rocky areas. Lots of people because of it.

Hiked May 11: full bloom! Well-marked trail, steep in a few places, stunning gorge views. Beware of poison oak and no bathrooms at trailhead.

Nice wildflowers but way too crowded with people oblivious to poison oak lining both sides of the trail.

Beautiful wildflowers and a gorgeous view of Mount Hood and Mount Baker. No ticks but thanks to the last review I have brushed my hair three times since arriving back at my car.
There ARE rattlesnakes.. The one I came across was anxious to get away from me.

Beautiful hike with the wild flowers. Steady incline but not overall difficult. Huge amounts of poison oak right on trail especially further up. Also found two ticks in my hair and I never stopped moving or sat/laid down anywhere.

In early May the wildflowers on this trail are absolutely incredible!

The trial has been changed, but the new path is easy to figure out and follow

great hike! my wife and I went for the first time today. alltrails needs to update the trail as it has changed. at the summit we ate lunch before hiking back down. the hike up will make you sweat. the summit was cold when we went, the hike down was just right. we saw a couple hiking up, the guy with no shirt (in cold weather). Here is a link from us walking the new route:

Beautiful in the fall!

This is a great hike offering views of the Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Adams. I have seen rattlesnakes on this trail almost every time. Be aware!

there's definitely a few people that need be thank for creating this wonderful Trail. the trail is in extremely good condition and the views are great worth sharing with Friends and doing it over and over

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Great views and a great workout.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great little hike, we decided to try this one our way to Big Jim's drive thru. Be cautious of rattlesnakes.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Great day for a hike in the Columbia gorge!! The wild flowers like lupine, paint brush, fox glove, and wild rose were at peak!! The arrow root was past peak, but you can still find some for a photo. Please beware as you traverse the oak forest there is tons of poison oak mixed in with the true oak. For a real feast for your eyes go the extra bit and go down the south west trail and up on the adjoining hill great views and a lovely spot for a picnic !!!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Beautiful. Decent workout but can be a good stroll too.

Friday, May 19, 2017

It was beautiful. The skies were blue, scattered with a few clouds. We had views of both Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams. I would do this hike again as long as the flowers are out!

Thursday, May 18, 2017

This is one of my favorite close by go to trails for a relatively quick hike. You get exceptional views of the gorge as well as mount Adams and mount Hood. I often see wildlife on this trail ranging from reptiles to deer and on one of my hikes here I got to the top right as it was getting dark and was blessed with witnessing an all black wolf roughly 100 yards away from me for a couple seconds and with out the wind even blowing his direction he stuck his nose to the ground and got hold of my scent and took off. A definite must go hike for all.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

A delight at every turn. Wild flowers, amazing views. Highly recommend!!