Tom McCall Point Trail

Tom McCall Point Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near The Dalles, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

This trail is closed due to muddy conditions October through April. The type of soil at Tom McCall is very clay like and makes for a slick and dangerous trail in the rainy season. Also, hiking while the trail is muddy causes more damage to the trail itself. This is a great day hike in the Columbia gorge! You get exceptional views of the gorge as well as Mount Adams and Mount Hood. Wild flowers like lupine, paint brush, fox glove, and wild rose, arrow root etc can be viewed. Please beware as you traverse the oak forest as there is poison oak mixed in with the true oak. For a real feast for your eyes go the extra bit down the south west trail and up on the adjoining hill great views and a lovely spot for a picnic.

The trial has been changed, but the new path is easy to figure out and follow

great hike! my wife and I went for the first time today. alltrails needs to update the trail as it has changed. at the summit we ate lunch before hiking back down. the hike up will make you sweat. the summit was cold when we went, the hike down was just right. we saw a couple hiking up, the guy with no shirt (in cold weather). Here is a link from us walking the new route:

Beautiful in the fall!

This is a great hike offering views of the Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Adams. I have seen rattlesnakes on this trail almost every time. Be aware!

there's definitely a few people that need be thank for creating this wonderful Trail. the trail is in extremely good condition and the views are great worth sharing with Friends and doing it over and over

Great views and a great workout.

Great little hike, we decided to try this one our way to Big Jim's drive thru. Be cautious of rattlesnakes.

Great day for a hike in the Columbia gorge!! The wild flowers like lupine, paint brush, fox glove, and wild rose were at peak!! The arrow root was past peak, but you can still find some for a photo. Please beware as you traverse the oak forest there is tons of poison oak mixed in with the true oak. For a real feast for your eyes go the extra bit and go down the south west trail and up on the adjoining hill great views and a lovely spot for a picnic !!!

Beautiful. Decent workout but can be a good stroll too.

It was beautiful. The skies were blue, scattered with a few clouds. We had views of both Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams. I would do this hike again as long as the flowers are out!

This is one of my favorite close by go to trails for a relatively quick hike. You get exceptional views of the gorge as well as mount Adams and mount Hood. I often see wildlife on this trail ranging from reptiles to deer and on one of my hikes here I got to the top right as it was getting dark and was blessed with witnessing an all black wolf roughly 100 yards away from me for a couple seconds and with out the wind even blowing his direction he stuck his nose to the ground and got hold of my scent and took off. A definite must go hike for all.

A delight at every turn. Wild flowers, amazing views. Highly recommend!!

Hiked on a clear day during May blossoms, it doesn't get much better than this. Sweeping views stretching from Mt. Hood to the Gorge to Mt. Adams award you at the top, while the journey there brings turn after turn of reds yellows and blues. Truly a beautiful hike.

Monday, April 17, 2017

beautiful hike lots of wild flowers it was closed past 1.1 miles for restoration so we will be back to finish it when its open

Monday, September 05, 2016

ok, possible to see Hood and Adams on a clear day.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Beautiful views and great wild flowers in late spring.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Nice walk! I want to go when flowers are blooming and meadows are full of wild flowers but it was beautiful

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Great view at the top.. bald eagles flying over a viewscape of Mt. Hood.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

It was a beautiful hike up to a 900 ft view point. We really enjoyed looking at the many wildflowers and birds!!!

It is more than an upwards climb than anticipated. The views are worth the climb!!!

Friday, May 20, 2016

no dogs here or on the lower trail Rowena plateau bummer but gorgeous drive and wildflowers I loved this hike I'm afraid of heights so it got kind if scary but the flowers wow hikes this in April combined with the plateau good hike. This one is one marked hard that I thought was much easier than clackamas river trail that s marked moderate lol

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Gorgeous quick 3.1 mile hike. I highly recommend to go in mid-to late April. We went in May and the bright yellow flowers were mostly dead despite being peak season for flowers. Overall, I highly recommend this hike.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Spring flowers make for gorgeous hike. Probably a 4 star if the flowers weren't in bloom. Can be windy.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

This was a beautiful hike. We had read elsewhere it was flat, this trail although lacks rocks-is most definitely not a flat hike. The switchbacks have a decent incline. We did have a tick problem.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Beautiful views and great for a light afternoon hike. There's not a lot of shade and I did spot a rattlesnake so be on the lookout!

Monday, April 25, 2016

A great hike on a lovely day. It should be noted that DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED. It was also very windy all the way up. I wish I'd brought something my ears.

Friday, April 22, 2016

It's a little difficult as you make the climb but it is very beautiful and worth the climb.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Actually a little over 2 miles one way to the top. Views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams from top. Balsamroot, Grandma's Pincushion, Indian Paintbrush, Desert Parsley!

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

couldn't find it

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Beautiful views, quiet, lots of flowers and this is just the beginning of the bloom. Easy home that gets a little more steep close to the viewpoint, but not bad at all. A really good workout and gorgeous views all around.