Tom, Dick and Harry Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(860)
Mount Hood Wilderness

Tom, Dick and Harry Mountain Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,709 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

fee

NOTE: The parking lot is closed due to COVID-19. You must park along the highway near the lot. This is a really nice, solidly moderate skill level, well-maintained trail with some terrific views of Mount Hood and, on a clearer day, many of the surrounding peaks. The crowd thins after Mirror Lake. Just be sure to turn left at the pile of rocks near the top. If you continue further down along the rocks at the summit you can find a nice little point away from most of the crowd. If you want a view of Mount Hood, definitely check the weather as it can sometimes be cloudy. Crampons and poles recommended if planing to summit. During busy season you will need a NW Forest Pass (if you don't have the pass you will need to buy a $5 day pass, which you can't do at the trailhead so plan ahead).

Wonderful trail! We parked along the highway, next to the parking lot since the parking lot was closed due to covid but it was no problem at all! We started around 8 and we were the first ones there but when we got done around 2ish there were a lot of cars parked behind us— so be aware of the somewhat limited parking. We added on the mirror lake loop to our hike as well but couldn’t cross the “board” bridge because part of it was under the water so we couldn’t technically do the entire loop but it was enjoyable anyway! Be mindful on this hike that there are still some snow patches closer to the top but it’s all very easy to navigate and walk on top of. Definitely one of my favorite hikes I’ve done so far.

Snow has largely melted up to mirror lake. Light and easily traversable snowpack up to the summit with occasional muddy patches. Excellent, immediate views of Hood from the top, with Helens and Adams in the distance and Jefferson just visible in the other direction. Trailhead is officially closed, with minimal room to park off the road. Recommend arriving earlier in the day; by the time we got off the mountain at a lazy 3pm, foot traffic to mirror lake had increased substantially and the roadside was crowded with family vehicles.

Awesome day hike and the view on top will make you want to come back again.

icy

Did this hike on 3/20/20. The snow is very hard, almost just ice, up to mirror lake. I hiked up fine in my boots, but definitely wore my snowshoes down and recommend bringing poles. Once you pass mirror lake, shortly after you’ll see someone put a stick in the snow in the shape of a “Y” with a pink tag on the right side of the Y... that means you need to go RIGHT and this will put you on the correct trail that is much safer. At this point you need snowshoes for traction, you can maybe get away with crampons but I know I was glad to have my snowshoes and poles! Did the total hike in 2 hours and 45 mins.

icy

snow is very hard-packed up to mirror lake, and micro spikes are all you need, the adventurous can cut through the trees (need snow shoes) and you'll have to do a few stream crossings, but nothing bad. Continuing up to the view point is deeper snow, and you need snowshoes , as the snow is 4-5 feet deep. at the viewpoint we saw someone that just climbed up the face of the mountain wearing regular shoes, so that's also an option. we went straight down the mountain back to mirror lake, which was steep, but didn't feel dangerous. we used msr snowshoes that had great grip on the icier parts.

icy

Great hike. Don’t really need snow shoes until you get to Mirror Lake. Past the lake the trail becomes a tad bit confusing as clear indications of the trail have been either snowed over or blown covered. Turned back due to knee-waist deep snow in some places. We will try again in April.

icy

Done 2/27/20. I brought micro spikes and snowshoes, were grateful for both at different parts of the trail. Incredible views.

Note: App paused recording a couple of times so full distance was not captured. Full distance was 8.96 miles and elevation gain was 1,804 ft. I completed my second summit of my #50at50. #2 was sunset up on Tom Dick & Harry Mountain. It was packed snow all the way to Mirror Lake, and then onto the viewpoint. I wore micro-spikes. Having realized recently that the viewpoint wasn't actually the TDH summit, I knew I had to traverse the ridgeline across to the second peak. The snow got deeper and less traveled, so I changed to snowshoes and made it to the summit at sunset. I wish I had my skis so I could have skied back through Skibowl. I maybe would have if ski boots weren't so heavy to carry. Instead, I hiked back to the trail head in the dark, keeping my snowshoes on the whole way. Except for that moment when I stumbled, hiked on a bit, looked down and saw I was missing a snowshoe. I had to backtrack a few hundred feet to recover it. Microspikes would have been easier from the cairn to the talus slope because the trail gets quite narrow, but I just wanted to keep moving.

I have completed this hike multiple times in the summer, and now during the winter. 2/20/2020, the trail up to Mirror Lake was packed enough I didn't need snowshoes, but once past the lake, the snow got deep and I post holed a lot trying to get to the ridge(snowshoes definitely needed). The normal summer trail was snowed over and it seemed there were multiple trails up the ridge, people sort of making their own. It was perfectly clear and as always an amazing view.

Iconic hike that deserves more recognition. Great viewpoints with a place to camp at the end with a view above the clouds.

I love this trail so much. we did Mirror Lake the first time we visited Oregon (from MD), but decided not to do TDH because we didnt have enough time. We came back out a few months later in July with our time better planned and for me this hike was the highlight of our trip. The scenery is gorgeous the entire hike and the view at the top is perfect. I enjoyed the little bit of scrambling at the top and we did the little ridge scramble as well which was terrifying but ultimately worth the view and the privacy because there were a surprising amount of people at the top when we arrived. we ended up finding a little dug out spot of rocks on the main area and set up our backpacking stove and made lunch before we hiked back down. I cant wait to do this trail again one day!

Did this hike last summer. It was easily one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve been on. The trail was well maintained. It gets pretty steep, especially towards the end, so use caution. Super pretty and I would definitely do this again.

Lot of snow, but still doable. Make sure you stay on the trail. Bring extra jackets for the top.

Wonderful hike 1/5/20!! We arrived about noon and were surprised we were able to park at trailhead, as we read we’d have to park at ski bowl west parking lot. We started with snow shoes (since we were so excited to use them haha) but took them off and did just fine with boots. Beautiful hike with just the right number of people. Really fun and we’ll look forward to doing it again when there’s more snow!!

Did this hike today 1/05/2020. What a wonderful hike! I got to the trailhead around 7 am and it was empty. The trail on the way up was in good shape. I did fine without snow shoes, I did use my spikes though. Sadly today wasnt that clear up there so no great views. I'll definitely go back on a more clear day.

icy

Late post as I did this hike in Jan of 2018...After hiking Mirror Lake several times, I finally ventured on. Tom Dick and Harry was completely worth the venture! Things to consider are it is a heavily trafficked trail, parking can be a bit of a challenge, and depending on time of year you go you may need to pack extra gear (I used snowshoes, slopes and boots and just boots the different terrains.) I will definitely be hiking this again.

icy

Fabulous hike. Went all the way to the top ( a lot of people stop at a point that is 3.6 miles out) and that is not the end of the trail. Conditions warrant poles at a minimum and preferably spikes as especially the downhill on many point ( especially below mirror lake) are very very slick. Wore hiking boots and slid probably 10-12 times. Views from the top make this an epic adventure to pursue as the beauty is stunning.

A long ways to the top but so worth it even though the fog hid Mt Hood. We brought snow shoes but they weren’t necessary. Hiking poles are helpful! Bring gloves and keep warm up there. It’s still snowing!