EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Tire Mountain Trail

Tire Mountain Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westfir, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This easy hike most famous for it's amazing wildflower meadows is best done in the spring. In earlier days, a fire lookout, consisting of a platform on a topped tree and a three-sided shelter on the ground, was located on the large, flat top. Now the trail is best known for it's wildflower meadows. The trail crosses several steep sloped meadows located below rocky outcrops. These provide good views toward the southeast. Wildflowers grow profusely on the top and in the meadows. Best time to hike is early to mid June.

Loved it here! With the elevation, distance and being on cliff side often, small amounts uphill I'd rate this MODERATE not easy.
We went in June beautiful wild flowers rank to one mother son couple. Otherwise the fields of wildflowers were ours. I choose not to summit to tire mountain since it's completely over grown with views no more. I stayed at the last field of sunflowers and wild cucumber plants with my dog and had lunch. Your way out there. I had my handgun. I would recommend spray or gun. Their was cougar and bear prints and poo. Distinct differences. The broken down bones and the berries, roughage

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Beautiful views and easy trail. It should be noted 4.8 miles round trip to the meadows and back. It's more like an 8 mile hike to the summit, which offers no views.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Beautiful wildflowers on the cliffs and nice view of Diamond Peak, Bachelor, Broken Top and South Sister from the trail. Only downside was we continued on to a former lookout climbing over downed trees to no view. My suggestion: turn back at last meadow. Also note this trail is part of a mountain bike AND motorcycle trail.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Well, it poured and poured and poured for 3/4 of the hike, but we still found it enjoyable. The flowers are looking great!
If you're going all the way to the lookout you'll reach a point with a hairpin turn in the trail and then a "Y" - take the high road. I wouldn't recommend the last bit for younger kids, it was slippery and steep in places.

I'm going to attempt to figure out how to add some photos here from the jaunt - until I work it out through they can be seen at www.ladukephoto.zenfolio.com/tiremtn