Tire Mountain Trail

Tire Mountain Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westfir, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This easy hike most famous for it's amazing wildflower meadows is best done in the spring. In earlier days, a fire lookout, consisting of a platform on a topped tree and a three-sided shelter on the ground, was located on the large, flat top. Now the trail is best known for it's wildflower meadows. The trail crosses several steep sloped meadows located below rocky outcrops. These provide good views toward the southeast. Wildflowers grow profusely on the top and in the meadows. Best time to hike is early to mid June.

The Good:
Definitely a trail for wildflowers but offers plenty of variety in scenery as you move between the forest and meadows. Not terribly strenuous at all but an easy going and very enjoyable hike.

Obstacles:
We did have a few friendly encounters with mountain bikes, overall bike traffic was minimal. We encountered a few muddy sections of the trail but nothing serious.

Getting there:
The last 6+ miles of the drive are a constant climb up a single-lane, gravel road with several turn outs. Not at all difficult as long as you slow down and enjoy the surroundings. We had no problem getting there in a minivan.

A fantastic hike for wildflowers! You find them right away at the trailhead, and every turn brings more. We didn't go all the way to the mountain, just to what are referred to as "meadows", which are hillside gardens with many wonderful wildflowers. The second meadow had a mass of Arrowleaf balsamroot, and that was a good point to turn around at.

Lots of mountain bikes, so be careful on the narrow trail

I thought this trail was wonderful. The wildflowers are just starting to bloom. It is easy to follow. It’s a a light moderate, the isn’t a view at the top, but it’s nice to relax and get some sun

Amazing views and open fields on cliff sides. A must see!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Did this hike yesterday. Lots of bikers (which I was fine with). Lots of mosquitos. The trail is a good workout. It's is pretty up and down and if you go all the way to the summit you will have a steep trip for the last bit. There is nothing really to see at the summit, no views. Would only recommend going that far if you wanted a longer hike (at least 8 miles round trip to summit NOT 7) or you wanted to pitch a tent. Very flat up top. If I went again I would stop at the false summit, good views there. Also a nice view of Diamond peak a little ways in.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Loved it here! With the elevation, distance and being on cliff side often, small amounts uphill I'd rate this MODERATE not easy.
We went in June beautiful wild flowers rank to one mother son couple. Otherwise the fields of wildflowers were ours. I choose not to summit to tire mountain since it's completely over grown with views no more. I stayed at the last field of sunflowers and wild cucumber plants with my dog and had lunch. Your way out there. I had my handgun. I would recommend spray or gun. Their was cougar and bear prints and poo. Distinct differences. The broken down bones and the berries, roughage

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Beautiful views and easy trail. It should be noted 4.8 miles round trip to the meadows and back. It's more like an 8 mile hike to the summit, which offers no views.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Beautiful wildflowers on the cliffs and nice view of Diamond Peak, Bachelor, Broken Top and South Sister from the trail. Only downside was we continued on to a former lookout climbing over downed trees to no view. My suggestion: turn back at last meadow. Also note this trail is part of a mountain bike AND motorcycle trail.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Well, it poured and poured and poured for 3/4 of the hike, but we still found it enjoyable. The flowers are looking great!
If you're going all the way to the lookout you'll reach a point with a hairpin turn in the trail and then a "Y" - take the high road. I wouldn't recommend the last bit for younger kids, it was slippery and steep in places.

I'm going to attempt to figure out how to add some photos here from the jaunt - until I work it out through they can be seen at www.ladukephoto.zenfolio.com/tiremtn

Thursday, June 08, 2017