Timberline Trail Around Mount Hood From Cloud Cap Inn

Timberline Trail Around Mount Hood From Cloud Cap Inn is a 37.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Epic journey. Started at the lodge and went clockwise. We did it in two and a half days, with some little side hikes up and down other trails. Elliott Branch was very scary, but this was in 2012 and it might be better by now. Will never forget it, one of my favorite hikes ever.

Fantastic loop. I did this over 5 days/4 nights with side trips up Yocum Ridge, McNiel Point, and Elk Meadow. I started from the Timberline Lodge and went clockwise. There are a few streams you have to ford, though I only got me feet wet on the Sandy river crossing. The Elliot crossing seems more daunting that it is. I used the ropes crossing and it wasn't bad. This guide is pretty helpful http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19999. If I did it again, I would take high route up by the glacier as that seems like the shortest, least painful way.

a must do. I love this hike. It's a great weekend hike. 2 19 mile days aren't that bad if you go ultralight. so many waterfalls. paint brush and other wildflowers are plentiful. trail is in great shape.

More like 42 miles around the entire trail.

My girlfriend and I completed this in 3 days from 8/19-8/21. Beautiful hike but difficult at many points. Try to plan major river/stream crossings for the morning. They get harder as the snow melts in the afternoon.

Here is my trip report https://adventurecontinues.org/2017/08/19/timberline-trail/

Spectacular!

Friday night- Saturday afternoon heat hike, recommend mosquito repellent, some section there were a lot of flies and in the morning lots of mosquitos.

Friday to Sunday (clockwise start and end at the Lodge). A truly spectacular hike! Absolutely perfect weather right now. The trail is in great shape overall. All river and glacial crossings are manageable day or night with some caution. Wildflowers are all on impressive display. Happy I brought the DSLR along. Fellow hikers on the trail were friendly and in high spirits. This was a weekend I'll never forget!

Trail ran the loop on Saturday. Weather was outstanding and the trail in great shape. All the crossings were good (Coe and Elliott were a little more challenging but fine). Wild flowers are in bloom which made the scenery that much more spectacular. We started/ended at Timberline lodge instead of Cloud Cap Campground. If I were to run this course again, I would start at Cloud Cap Campground and run clockwise (like we did). This would get the 'dry zone' out of the way while cool as well as the significant drop down to Zig Zag out of the way relatively early. Great day!

Did the whole loop last week. Most of the creek and river crossings were smooth and we were able to rock hop across. Coe and Elliott were a little sketchy, but doable. There was one section on the north side where the trail was under snow and we got off route, but were able to find it using this app. It could be melted off by now. GORGEOUS wildflowers everywhere! I want to do this trail every year!

Bring bug spray the mosquitos and biting flys are bad!

Started at the Timberline Lodge and when counter-clockwise towards Cloud-Cap. Hiked starting 2-July-2017 and encountered some unsafe snow and ice conditions near Clark and Newton Creek. Hopefully trails have melted now with all the warm weather that will allow full access all the way around.

Cloud Cap and Tilly Jane campground were closed.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great views, fantastic river crossings, nice mix of environs. Elliot Crossing kicked our butts. The kids (age 12 to 17 and very fit) loved the challenge. Perfect 3 day trip.

Monday, March 06, 2017

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this trail. Not big on heights or water crossings but I did what I had to to get through. Unbelievable views and amazing terrain changes. Easily the BEST four day backpacking trip I have ever been on.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

the best experience!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Did this trail as part of the timberline trail in 2015. Great trail- very challenging if not in shape. Had one of our hikers catch a ride back to the timberline lodge before Elliot glacier. Did 18 miles in late august

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Note: this is basically the eastern part of the circumnavigation of Hood.

Feel like something challenging that'll leave you sore and amazed? Start out at Timberline Lodge, and head right at the PCT sign. 15 challenging miles later, you'll have crossed streams, battled heavy winds, had amazing views of Elliot Glacier, hiked Gnarl Ridge, and arrived at Cloud Cap Inn. Park a car and do it as a point-to-point. Or if you're training, hell, try all 30 miles of pain!

It's beautiful, though I'm not sure I'd make the trek in the winter months if not *completely* prepared: I've done it as a hike in the warmer months, but you might want to have a little mountaineering knowledge if you're trying it in the winter.