Paradise Park Trail

Paradise Park Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park Loop Trail is a 12 mile dog-leg starting and ending at Timberline lodge that gives access to "the park," a large mountain meadow and grassland on Mt. Hood. It's almost always up or down and not the friendliest trail on your legs, but it's one of the more scenic summer hikes on Hood. There are incredible wildflower displays to into early September, and there are few places like the park on the mountain. Also, ignore the map track currently uploaded to AllTrails--that misses most of the park and takes an unimpressive shortcut. Look up maps and take the PCT to trail 757 and do all of 757 till it hits the PCT again.

Being that I'm not a very bright Miami resident, I didn't expect snow on September 24th. But here it was and knee deep in many places. I almost turned around but decided to walk few hundred feet and take pictures. Then one step after another I ended up walking entire 10 miles. Deep snow is on the first and last 3 miles of the trail. Then it gets easier snow is replaced by soft soil in pine woods. There are some nature made obstacles in the form of fallen trees . I took PCT on the first junction with Paradise Park trail and decided to catch it back in a loop on the next junction. That is about 5 miles in. But at the next trail crossing the Paradise park trail had virgin snow with no foot prints so I did t dare to explore on my own and turned back.
This trail is the best one I have been to so far and offers amazing mountain views and great work out.
I came across 12 hikers in total and it was on Sunday, very lightly trafficked.
Saw a dog and many other dog paw prints so might be good to bring your dog if it likes the deep snow and wouldn't chase and hurt chipmunks and other wildlife.

The loop is fine but do not start trail at the head (trail 778) as there are miles of tree fall that is nearly impossible to traverse. The trail is labeled impassable but there were no warnings at the trailhead.

Great trip. Lots of bugs especially when you stop. It was hard to see the other hills and mountains due to the forest fire haze. Definitely will do again.

Beautiful scenery all along the trail. I would also second that those horse flies are rampant.

Three of us did this hike Yesterday. The most disappointing => we were inundated with biting flies! The first hour was fine, but we were eaten alive after that and were surprised no one mentioned this rather significant problem. I've never experienced anything like that before. we went through all of our water. So, be forewarned. I'm not sure what effectively combats biting flies. Really nice wildflower displays up there along with a waterfall & nice views of Hood, Jefferson and Mirror Lake. Downed trees made it difficult to get through some of the trail and some of the snow crossings were slick but poles made them doable. Good hike but have had much better ones without flies!!! Also as stated the map is confusing on here, please update.

This is a first class hike. It embodies the cornucopia for the senses offered by many sub-alpine and high forest ecosystems surrounding mountains. Really enjoyed seeing Mt. Jefferson so many times on this trail. At one particular point at the beginning of this hike, you can even see South Sister and Mt. Bachelor lined up behind Mt. Jefferson. ***Key info you need to know if you're going to hike in July or August 2017.*** There are many downed trees on the 757 and 778 portions of the loop. Also, there are many snow hills that you need to be careful when crossing. Crampons would make it a breeze but are not necessary. Furthermore, this loop is a shorter/different loop created from the longer official Paradise park loop. If you follow the signs and not this map, you'll wind up off this map and possibly very confused - as I was at one point. *The dashed lines above the solid red line indicate the official full loop*. See Green Trails Map #462 and #461 for another reference. If you want to do THIS loop as drawn here in dark red (what you'll download to your phone or GPS) then note that when you get to the intersection involving the Paradise Park loop and the Paradise Trail #778, take the descending #778 (which parallels the ZigZag River) but you won't be on it for long. Soon you'll see another crossroads where there's a sign indicating the way back to Timberline Lodge. Next time, I'll do the official loop. The views were sometimes better the further I went off this route. Next time, I won't be using this map! But this is a nice day loop for those on a time budget.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Great hike as always and not too many bugs. We got to see quite a few through hikers on the PCT and there were relatively few people on the trail. One of my favorite hikes! My phone died during the recording, but we completed 17 miles.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Paradise Park was amazing. Next time I would double back and take the cutover (tr 778 i think) instead of doing the entire loop. Very few people even on summer weekends which is a plus. I think this hike used to be really popular based on the memorial at Split Rock but it must have fallen out of favor based on how few people i saw.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

My wife and I hiked this trail on 7/30/2016. We took the Pacific Crest Trail and back to the Paradise Loop making it about 13 miles round trip. This trail was not hard/difficult at all for people in good shape. Climbs are very gradual. The views of Mt. Hood were good but there was very little wildlife, a few chipmunks and a bird. The biting flies were the worst part about the trail and the crowds of people. The waterfall or trickle of water falling was less than spectacular. If you want an easy hike for an 8 hour day with a lot of scenic views of the cascades and Mt. Hood, then this is a good one. Don’t expect to see any meadows to run through with butterflies.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Three of us did this hike on Sunday. The trail was crowded with hikers & backpackers and most disappointing => we were inundated with biting flies! The first hour was fine, but we were eaten alive after that and were surprised no one mentioned this rather significant problem. I've never experienced anything like that before - ever. It was a 71 degree day, which seemed very hot up there, and we went through all of our water, which I rarely even touch on a hike. So, be forewarned. I'm not sure what effectively combats biting flies, but it isn't DEET. That didn't help a bit, so we just kept moving & kept swatting, killing dozens & dozens of flies as we continued on. Really nice wildflower displays up there (though obviously past their prime this year), along with a waterfall & nice views of Hood, Jefferson and Mirror Lake.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

What a great experience. so many cool views all along the trail. this is part of the PCT so it's in great condition. lots of ups and downs so it's a real work out. many were staying the night at the end, but it was a little cold out so we did it all in one day. An IPA at the lodge made it the perfect day.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Amazing

Monday, September 21, 2015

I only got to do about 6 total miles (3 in & 3 our) because I was apartment hunting that morning. However it was gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky!! Well maintained and not too crowded. The views were killer and watching sunset not too far from the lodge was epic!

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Not much elevation, as long as you are in good shape, you can do it. Takes about 5 hours.
Make sure you have a comfortable hiking boot/shoe. Some part of the trail is pretty muddy or like sand dune.
The vista at some viewpoints is amazing, as well as the Mt Hood.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

A great trail that is probably about moderate or normal for those who hike or have regular exercise. Camping in the Paradise Loop is also possible with some fantastic views of wildlife (Birds/Deer/Insects), wildflowers and let's not forget the spectacular view of Mt. Hood. During the trail from Timberline you will get some amazing shots and its fairly easy to trek on some close trails that connect to it (Ramona Falls etc).

Monday, August 25, 2014

It's incredible up here. This competes with Rainier for mountain meadows and wildflowers and might be my new favourite hike on Hood. Ignore the map-track on the top-right of this page: that misses most of the park. Just search for Paradise Park Loop and you'll find many proper maps; I'll upload one as an image too.

It's steep--you're either ascending or descending the entire time, so leave Me-Maw, Pop-Pops, and fat aunt Margaret at home. It's all a steady downhill the first several miles, but guess what? You've gotta get back out, and the only way is up. True: you could tack-on 10 miles and trek down the PCT to Ramona Falls or, alternatively, go down to highway 26.

But if you didn't hike back up to Timberline Lodge, then you wouldn't be able to buy overpriced coffee, overpriced hot chocolate, and IPAs (overpriced IPAs, of course).

I know what you're thinking: "why would I want to drink those things when I'm done hiking?" But you're thinking that because you're a rookie. That combo is called "the Timberline Triple-Speedball" and it'll put a ridiculous smile on your face when you're done hiking. It'll also put a ridiculous dent in your wallet.

Speedballs and steepish leg-burning aside, the mountain wildflowers and meadows in the "park atop the world" are second to none in Oregon, and the streams, falls, and canyons you'll hike are breathtaking.

Do it--the hike and the speedball.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Went in August, flowers were all in bloom in the meadows. Great views of Mt. Hood, waterfalls, etc. Great trail, would definitely recommend.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

This trail will take your breath away on nearly every valley you cross. The diversity of experiences let you know you're in paradise. Don't forget to stop at Timberline Lodge for their home brewed beer.

Friday, September 21, 2012

My buddy and I did this trail in July this year and it was a phenomenal hike! There is a little bit of everything on this trail ups, downs, river crossings, mountain views, forest etc. We started at about 8:45 in the morning from the parking lot of Timberline Lodge, where the trailhead begins and we got back to our truck at about 7:00pm. It was a great hike for dogs (we had three). Remember to bring water and a lunch. Paradise Park at the top is a great place to stop and have lunch and the bottom of Zigzag canyon is a great place to rehydrate and grab a snack before your hike back up and out. It was difficult, but the scenery is absolutely worth it! We will definitely be doing it again next year!