Paradise Park Trail

Paradise Park Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park Loop Trail is a 12 mile dog-leg starting and ending at Timberline lodge that gives access to "the park," a large mountain meadow and grassland on Mt. Hood. It's almost always up or down and not the friendliest trail on your legs, but it's one of the more scenic summer hikes on Hood. There are incredible wildflower displays to into early September, and there are few places like the park on the mountain. Also, ignore the map track currently uploaded to AllTrails--that misses most of the park and takes an unimpressive shortcut. Look up maps and take the PCT to trail 757 and do all of 757 till it hits the PCT again.

Being that I'm not a very bright Miami resident, I didn't expect snow on September 24th. But here it was and knee deep in many places. I almost turned around but decided to walk few hundred feet and take pictures. Then one step after another I ended up walking entire 10 miles. Deep snow is on the first and last 3 miles of the trail. Then it gets easier snow is replaced by soft soil in pine woods. There are some nature made obstacles in the form of fallen trees . I took PCT on the first junction with Paradise Park trail and decided to catch it back in a loop on the next junction. That is about 5 miles in. But at the next trail crossing the Paradise park trail had virgin snow with no foot prints so I did t dare to explore on my own and turned back.
This trail is the best one I have been to so far and offers amazing mountain views and great work out.
I came across 12 hikers in total and it was on Sunday, very lightly trafficked.
Saw a dog and many other dog paw prints so might be good to bring your dog if it likes the deep snow and wouldn't chase and hurt chipmunks and other wildlife.

The loop is fine but do not start trail at the head (trail 778) as there are miles of tree fall that is nearly impossible to traverse. The trail is labeled impassable but there were no warnings at the trailhead.

Great trip. Lots of bugs especially when you stop. It was hard to see the other hills and mountains due to the forest fire haze. Definitely will do again.

Beautiful scenery all along the trail. I would also second that those horse flies are rampant.

Three of us did this hike Yesterday. The most disappointing => we were inundated with biting flies! The first hour was fine, but we were eaten alive after that and were surprised no one mentioned this rather significant problem. I've never experienced anything like that before. we went through all of our water. So, be forewarned. I'm not sure what effectively combats biting flies. Really nice wildflower displays up there along with a waterfall & nice views of Hood, Jefferson and Mirror Lake. Downed trees made it difficult to get through some of the trail and some of the snow crossings were slick but poles made them doable. Good hike but have had much better ones without flies!!! Also as stated the map is confusing on here, please update.

This is a first class hike. It embodies the cornucopia for the senses offered by many sub-alpine and high forest ecosystems surrounding mountains. Really enjoyed seeing Mt. Jefferson so many times on this trail. At one particular point at the beginning of this hike, you can even see South Sister and Mt. Bachelor lined up behind Mt. Jefferson. ***Key info you need to know if you're going to hike in July or August 2017.*** There are many downed trees on the 757 and 778 portions of the loop. Also, there are many snow hills that you need to be careful when crossing. Crampons would make it a breeze but are not necessary. Furthermore, this loop is a shorter/different loop created from the longer official Paradise park loop. If you follow the signs and not this map, you'll wind up off this map and possibly very confused - as I was at one point. *The dashed lines above the solid red line indicate the official full loop*. See Green Trails Map #462 and #461 for another reference. If you want to do THIS loop as drawn here in dark red (what you'll download to your phone or GPS) then note that when you get to the intersection involving the Paradise Park loop and the Paradise Trail #778, take the descending #778 (which parallels the ZigZag River) but you won't be on it for long. Soon you'll see another crossroads where there's a sign indicating the way back to Timberline Lodge. Next time, I'll do the official loop. The views were sometimes better the further I went off this route. Next time, I won't be using this map! But this is a nice day loop for those on a time budget.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Monday, August 29, 2016

Great hike as always and not too many bugs. We got to see quite a few through hikers on the PCT and there were relatively few people on the trail. One of my favorite hikes! My phone died during the recording, but we completed 17 miles.

Sunday, August 28, 2016