Paradise Park Trail

Paradise Park Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Government Camp, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park Loop Trail is a 12 mile dog-leg starting and ending at Timberline lodge that gives access to "the park," a large mountain meadow and grassland on Mt. Hood. It's almost always up or down and not the friendliest trail on your legs, but it's one of the more scenic summer hikes on Hood. There are incredible wildflower displays to into early September, and there are few places like the park on the mountain. Also, ignore the map track currently uploaded to AllTrails--that misses most of the park and takes an unimpressive shortcut. Look up maps and take the PCT to trail 757 and do all of 757 till it hits the PCT again.

Great trip. Lots of bugs especially when you stop. It was hard to see the other hills and mountains due to the forest fire haze. Definitely will do again.

Beautiful scenery all along the trail. I would also second that those horse flies are rampant.

Three of us did this hike Yesterday. The most disappointing => we were inundated with biting flies! The first hour was fine, but we were eaten alive after that and were surprised no one mentioned this rather significant problem. I've never experienced anything like that before. we went through all of our water. So, be forewarned. I'm not sure what effectively combats biting flies. Really nice wildflower displays up there along with a waterfall & nice views of Hood, Jefferson and Mirror Lake. Downed trees made it difficult to get through some of the trail and some of the snow crossings were slick but poles made them doable. Good hike but have had much better ones without flies!!! Also as stated the map is confusing on here, please update.

This is a first class hike. It embodies the cornucopia for the senses offered by many sub-alpine and high forest ecosystems surrounding mountains. Really enjoyed seeing Mt. Jefferson so many times on this trail. At one particular point at the beginning of this hike, you can even see South Sister and Mt. Bachelor lined up behind Mt. Jefferson. ***Key info you need to know if you're going to hike in July or August 2017.*** There are many downed trees on the 757 and 778 portions of the loop. Also, there are many snow hills that you need to be careful when crossing. Crampons would make it a breeze but are not necessary. Furthermore, this loop is a shorter/different loop created from the longer official Paradise park loop. If you follow the signs and not this map, you'll wind up off this map and possibly very confused - as I was at one point. *The dashed lines above the solid red line indicate the official full loop*. See Green Trails Map #462 and #461 for another reference. If you want to do THIS loop as drawn here in dark red (what you'll download to your phone or GPS) then note that when you get to the intersection involving the Paradise Park loop and the Paradise Trail #778, take the descending #778 (which parallels the ZigZag River) but you won't be on it for long. Soon you'll see another crossroads where there's a sign indicating the way back to Timberline Lodge. Next time, I'll do the official loop. The views were sometimes better the further I went off this route. Next time, I won't be using this map! But this is a nice day loop for those on a time budget.

Great hike as always and not too many bugs. We got to see quite a few through hikers on the PCT and there were relatively few people on the trail. One of my favorite hikes! My phone died during the recording, but we completed 17 miles.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Paradise Park was amazing. Next time I would double back and take the cutover (tr 778 i think) instead of doing the entire loop. Very few people even on summer weekends which is a plus. I think this hike used to be really popular based on the memorial at Split Rock but it must have fallen out of favor based on how few people i saw.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

My wife and I hiked this trail on 7/30/2016. We took the Pacific Crest Trail and back to the Paradise Loop making it about 13 miles round trip. This trail was not hard/difficult at all for people in good shape. Climbs are very gradual. The views of Mt. Hood were good but there was very little wildlife, a few chipmunks and a bird. The biting flies were the worst part about the trail and the crowds of people. The waterfall or trickle of water falling was less than spectacular. If you want an easy hike for an 8 hour day with a lot of scenic views of the cascades and Mt. Hood, then this is a good one. Don’t expect to see any meadows to run through with butterflies.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Three of us did this hike on Sunday. The trail was crowded with hikers & backpackers and most disappointing => we were inundated with biting flies! The first hour was fine, but we were eaten alive after that and were surprised no one mentioned this rather significant problem. I've never experienced anything like that before - ever. It was a 71 degree day, which seemed very hot up there, and we went through all of our water, which I rarely even touch on a hike. So, be forewarned. I'm not sure what effectively combats biting flies, but it isn't DEET. That didn't help a bit, so we just kept moving & kept swatting, killing dozens & dozens of flies as we continued on. Really nice wildflower displays up there (though obviously past their prime this year), along with a waterfall & nice views of Hood, Jefferson and Mirror Lake.