Three Fingered Jack via Pacific Crest Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(99)
Willamette National Forest

Three Fingered Jack via Pacific Crest Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,834 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

NOTE: There is a section of the trail that may be closed. This is an advanced mountaineering climb with vertical walls at the top and very poor rock. You absolutely MUST have rock climbing and mountaineering skills and the relative gear to make this ascent. From the parking area, follow the Pacific Crest Trail to nearly the western face of the mountain. Look for a cairn marking the climbers route and follow it up to the summit pinnacles where you will need to clip into bolts in the rock. You and your partner will belay each other for the rest of the trip and most likely rappel down from the summit which is a very narrow ridge, only about a foot wide with over thousand foot drops on either side. If you have any fear of heights whatsoever do not attempt this climb. Again, you must have prior experience leading climbs to attempt this.

Did this last summer with my pets, definitely worthwhile! Great views even without making it to the summit (like others have said, don’t attempt it without climbing experience). Watched a nanny and kid grazing right below the ridge for a while. Not crazy busy if you start early and avoid weekends.

This was a beautiful trail but we ended up going to square lake because the trail was still full of snow. Lots of pretty Mountain Views!!

This is the most dangerous climb in Oregon in my opinion. I have climbed most of the mountains in Oregon and I believe that this is the most dangerous. The exposure is constant once you get past the saddle so watch your footing. It is deceiving but a fall almost anywhere will put you over a cliff most people don’t die at the top. To be safe 3 ropes may be required. The mazamas rope all the way from the catwalk to the summit for safety. We only used 2 and had a lady totally freak out on the way down. I wondered if we were going to get her down but after a lot of coaxing she made it. At the end of the catwalk you have to do a funny move with your butt hanging into a 2000 ft drop. So do rope up for safety

This was a beautiful hike and challenging climb. Lots of wildlife, including mountain goats, birds, squirrels, and a toad. My hiking partner and I missed the sign on the ground directing us to stay on the trail to the right, so we went up the very steep trail on the left up the face of the mountain. We then foolishly scrambled up as far as we could go without mountaineering equipment to a ledge next to a thousand(s) foot cliff just below the southern pinnacle. We then ate lunch enjoying the beautiful view, but at the same time I was a little nervous of our safety. Be aware that there are many loose rocks and a slip could be fatal. I’m thankful we made it down safely and I feel accomplished.

Beautiful trail with a gentle grade and low technicality for most of the hike. I unfortunately opted to not finish the hike as the end was extremely steep over loose dirt and it was getting sketchy going up (even more so going down!). Poles would probably help a lot on this trail for just the last bit

As mentioned, making the summit requires real climbing equipment and skill, but I was surprised how high we got just by scrambling and relatively safe rock climbing. It is possible to get on top of some of the “fingers”. Fun!

No snow on the actual trail. Busy with many hikers. But we found a great parking spot at the top of the trailhead. The lake was a lot lower than expected. But a great day hike.

I think this is longer than 11.3. Took 6 hrs including a lunch break, and we generally hike 3mph. Trail has been modified in one area that makes it longer. Missed the right fork to the base of the summit and instead went up steep scree. Came down the east side instead of retracing our steps and it was much safer. Beautiful views, incredible hike!

The first 3.5 miles or so are through the burn area. It is still lovely with new growth, wildflowers, and views. Consider starting early or hike on a cool day. The best part of the journey imo is before the 4 mile mark when you come to the thick, green and shady part of the forest. It is lush for the area and elevation. Continue on the PCT until Jack comes into view. Both the scree section of the PCT to the viewpoint and the climber’s trail give you great views of the mountain and surrounding peaks. I took the climber’s trail for a bit. I only completed about half of it and had a round trip hike of 12 mi. The mileage listed on AllTrails is incorrect to the summit. Find the climber’s trail using the interactive map. It is before you hit the scree on the PCT. Notice a small clearing to the right with a cluster of tree trunks practically conjoined. You will see a trail heading off near those trees to the left. You can hike up part of the climber’s trail without going to the sketchy parts. My understanding is that the top is exposed and requires skill and equipment. Parking lot was packed but trail usage was moderate.

Extremely beautiful hike from start to finish. My only comment on the hike is regarding how hidden the trail is that turns off of the PCT and actually ascends up Three Fingered Jack. The trail is unmarked from the PCT, so download the map from AllTrails if you can and watch where the turn is in regards to your location. Unfortunately there aren’t many major landmarks that I can mention to help guide you there. If you’ve made it through the forested area of the hike and start to see scree/rock on either side of the trail, you’ve gone too far. Otherwise, we had a great time and would recommend this hike to anyone in shape to make that final climb!

Hiked on 6/22. Lots of snow, hard to find the trail at times. The summit is loose gravel/dirt and very steep so make sure you have appropriate gear and are an experienced hiker. Views are stunning! There are many resting points with views of the Sisters. Recommend going in August-September when the snow has melted off more.

I was up on this trail 2 days ago and would recommend it to anyone who wants to go. The 5.5 miles to get to the base of the mountain are amazing and go by quick. The mosquitoes are something fierce right now (end of July) bring bug spray.

Best Three Finger Jack route. skip the steep super soft sand and see a completely different perspective of the East valley and Jack

easy trail until the end then steep. nice views with only a few logs down across trail.

Sun May 19 2019

May 16th provided lots of snow. The PCT disappeared after 20 minutes. Leftover snow was a mixed blessing. Most of it was consolidated. Attempting this entire route without ropes would be a serious mistake. Someone said the summit is the size of a coffee table. No, it’s more like a nightstand!

Mon Nov 12 2018

Very pretty, starting to get snow now though

Thu Sep 06 2018

Awesome trail. Very loose rock when summiting. Insane views. Will do again

Sun Aug 12 2018

Beautiful walk through burned forest, amazing views from the top. PCT was easy hiking in and not overly crowded.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Nice trail, a lot of new growth from past fire. Bring your sun screen or floppy hat. Might hit snow up on top. Walk through what I call a ghost forest