Three Fingered Jack Loop

Three Fingered Jack Loop is a 22.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Camp Sherman, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 22.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,546 feet Route Type: Loop

We hiked this trail Labor Day weekend, starting Saturday morning going clockwise from the trailhead. Trail is well marked, exposed at some locations, but not as bad as other make it out to be. Camped at Wasco Lake night 1, after roughly 13 miles according to my GPS. We arrived late but were still able to find a spot. Day 2 we hiked Canyon Meadows, and then on to Booth Lake. We had hopes of camping at Booth, but the only “spots” were right down on shore, exposed, and the wind was whipping. We trudged on to Square Lake and found a nice water front camp spot even late in the afternoon. Day 3 was a quick 2 mile hike back to our cars. Well worth the hike!

Wonderful hike! Swam in Square Lake day one and Wasco Lake day two. After Wasco Lake on the PC, the west side of mt, no water sources in mid-August. Thousands of baby frogs in Booth Lake! Saw a dozen mt goats in two locations.

good hike overall. I went clockwise myself and do not regret it as it made jack itself seem that much more incredible when it kept popping up through the hills/trees until you were right there on it. saw about 12 goats on the PCT side as well. This section of the trail was very well maintained and was not hard at all. Ended up camping in the canyon creek area as I knew everyone and their mother was going to try to camp at wasco lake. Do not regret it because of the views I had in the morning. The way out was as people said, burned out and little to no shade at all. incredible views though. got a little monotonous, I probably wouldn't do that side again but reccomend you at least see it once. Over all a great hike with amazing scenery of all the surrounding mountains and hills. make sure to bring water as it can be a while before you come across a good fill up spot in some areas of the trail.

Definitely do this trail counterclockwise! We camped at Wasco lake the first night and it was perfect! Great Lake to swim in, too. Didn’t do the canyon loop in the middle because we started late the first day. Amazing views on the second day, first day is all thru burned forest so there isn’t so much to see.

Great challenge. Finished in 8.5 hours but the trails are getting a little overgrown if you head up old summit. Views were awesome even with cloudy weather. I would recommend this hike to others who are set on feeling the burn. Would suggest bringing lots of water if you are planning on doing the second half in a day.

Awesome loop trail. Counter clockwise is the way to go... and yes, exposed 80-90% of the time, so wear hat, bring sleeves and sunscreen. My phone clocked 28 miles however (not 22)... but I guess that's because I explored around the base of the summit a bit. Saw 23+ mountain goats, 3 deer, and countless chipmonks and birds! Great workout!

The eastern side from Wasco to santiam pass is horrible. No tree cover at all and monotonous. The portion on the PCT is great though. Not worth making it a loop.

Hiked 7/19/19. Started at 630 am going counter-clockwise and finished just after 4 pm. While this is a long hike, the trail is very clearly marked and very well maintained. Most of the trail is exposed so bring lots of water. There were only a few patches of snow on the western side. The mosquitos were not noticeably bad until I reached that part in the afternoon. Wildflowers and butterflies are currently out in full force. This is the perfect loop to get a great look at all the major peaks in the area in one hike.

Fantastic trail. We walked it on the 12/13 July and there are a lot of mosquitoes around the areas with lakes, especially around Wasco lake where we camped.

Absolutely gorgeous hike that I’m glad I did in cooler weather (it is very exposed for 90 percent of the hike due to the wildfire wiping out the forest). There were deer, wildflowers and beautiful views through the burnt trees... some snow on the north side which I was glad I had my hiking poles for traversing in a slope. Lots of mosquitoes near the lakes but not bad for the rest of the hike. We camped at Wasco lake which was beautiful and peaceful but we were annihilated by mosquitoes even with bug spray on. There is one short portion of switchbacks when going over the slope by three fingered jack where if you’re a clutz who is afraid of heights like myself your heart rate will start pumping but I did it so anyone else can do it to (just go nice and slow and keep your eyes on the ground). I recommend going counter clockwise so you can slowly work your way up without really noticing and end by going straight down. Make sure you bring plenty of water. I went through 2.5 liters before we hit a water source.

Beautiful trail, lots a view points, well marked. This loop had a variety of beautiful elements from lakes to creeks with small waterfalls. Some snow on the north side, but easily passable & easy to stay on the trail. Be prepared for the mosquitos, this trail has lots of them!

Beautiful hike out to a viewpoint following the PCT (5.1 miles). We camped at summit lake and were the only ones there. It’s a little tricky finding the trail for summit lake so having all trails up is handy. Lots of mosquitoes above about 5,000ft and the moment we saw them, we were already covered and bitten so apply Deet early! There is snow covering parts of the trail at about 5,200 feet but easy to handle. Our dog loved this trail. Just be cautious, there are a ton of dogs off leash, most well-behaved and following commands, some not.

Did a 2-night backpack counter-clockwise. We stayed the first night at Booth Lake. It was really windy and there were tons of mosquitoes on the east side of the lake where you first leave the trail, so we moved over to the west side and were able to escape the wind and the bugs! However, we did wake up to lots of mosquitoes in the morning. From there we hiked up the Canyon Glacier Trail all the way to just below the saddle. There was lots of snow once we got to about 5600 feet. We headed back out to Wasco Lake to camp but ended up hiking up to Koko Lake for the second night due to hellacious amounts of mosquitoes at Wasco. Koko was windy but much less buggy and had a beautiful view of the mountain and Wasco lake down below. Day 3 we hiked south on the PCT back to the trailhead. Once we gained some elevation up to the ridge the snow started (~5600'). Frequent, intermittent patches of snow cover the trail all the way until about the intersection with the Summit Lake trail (which we did not see..). They make the going slow, but otherwise were totally passable and previous hiker's boot pack made navigating easy. My dog didn't seem to have any paw pain or need for booties (I was worried about this based on previous reports), but we also had low temps and lots of snow-cover on the parts of the trail I imagine are typically covered with the sharp volcanic rock. All in all a great time on a gorgeous trail, especially on the section of the PCT along the ridge!

Hiked the loop Counter clockwise over the weekend. East side was good. Some downed trees and a few larger creek crossings towards Wasco lake. Views are amazing and normally would not be a too difficult About a month to early for the north and west sides. Still around 5-8 feet of snow and ended up losing the trail and following a GPS for around 8 miles. Snow doesnt melt until around a mile before Santiam lake Trail.

Tue Oct 23 2018

one week ago, we went clockwise. Did hiker summit, camped a couple miles before wasco. 11 miles day 1. second day we added canyon meadow trail, and then continued back to loop and back to car at PCT lot. 17 miles day 2 for a total of around 28 miles in two days. Amazing and beautiful trip, highly suggest. Saw one mountain goat. Clear blue skies, just some cold cold wind.

Wed Oct 03 2018

Dropped by later in the season (late October) last year and was blocked by snow after 5 miles or so ... so I made a point to come back a bit earlier this year and I'm so glad I did as the fall colors and the tail end of the summer bloom was in full effect. I went counter Clockwise and the timing worked out nicely with the sunset and sunrise. However if you are headed south on the PCT first thing in the morning you will likely meet more people - In my case at least 5 groups of hunters and 4 groups of hikers. (I would go clockwise if I wanted to avoid people on the full loop. ) I ended up camping on the downslope somewhere around where the trail branches off for summit lake. This spot was amazing for a 360 degree view of sunset, moonrise, and then sunrise.

Tue Aug 28 2018

A great overnight if you are used to putting in 10+ mile days. Went clockwise getting most elevation out of the way on the first day, then Camped at Wasco lake and cruised to the parking lot through the major burn areas on day 2. First day was almost completely caught in a cloud with a steady rain all night, but the second day was full of sun and incredible views of Three Fingered Jack, Black Butte, Mt. Washington, and even glimpses of broken top through the clouds!