Three Fingered Jack Loop

Three Fingered Jack Loop is a 22.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Camp Sherman, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 22.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,546 feet Route Type: Loop

Hiked 7/19/19. Started at 630 am going counter-clockwise and finished just after 4 pm. While this is a long hike, the trail is very clearly marked and very well maintained. Most of the trail is exposed so bring lots of water. There were only a few patches of snow on the western side. The mosquitos were not noticeably bad until I reached that part in the afternoon. Wildflowers and butterflies are currently out in full force. This is the perfect loop to get a great look at all the major peaks in the area in one hike.

Fantastic trail. We walked it on the 12/13 July and there are a lot of mosquitoes around the areas with lakes, especially around Wasco lake where we camped.

Absolutely gorgeous hike that I’m glad I did in cooler weather (it is very exposed for 90 percent of the hike due to the wildfire wiping out the forest). There were deer, wildflowers and beautiful views through the burnt trees... some snow on the north side which I was glad I had my hiking poles for traversing in a slope. Lots of mosquitoes near the lakes but not bad for the rest of the hike. We camped at Wasco lake which was beautiful and peaceful but we were annihilated by mosquitoes even with bug spray on. There is one short portion of switchbacks when going over the slope by three fingered jack where if you’re a clutz who is afraid of heights like myself your heart rate will start pumping but I did it so anyone else can do it to (just go nice and slow and keep your eyes on the ground). I recommend going counter clockwise so you can slowly work your way up without really noticing and end by going straight down. Make sure you bring plenty of water. I went through 2.5 liters before we hit a water source.

Beautiful trail, lots a view points, well marked. This loop had a variety of beautiful elements from lakes to creeks with small waterfalls. Some snow on the north side, but easily passable & easy to stay on the trail. Be prepared for the mosquitos, this trail has lots of them!

Beautiful hike out to a viewpoint following the PCT (5.1 miles). We camped at summit lake and were the only ones there. It’s a little tricky finding the trail for summit lake so having all trails up is handy. Lots of mosquitoes above about 5,000ft and the moment we saw them, we were already covered and bitten so apply Deet early! There is snow covering parts of the trail at about 5,200 feet but easy to handle. Our dog loved this trail. Just be cautious, there are a ton of dogs off leash, most well-behaved and following commands, some not.

Did a 2-night backpack counter-clockwise. We stayed the first night at Booth Lake. It was really windy and there were tons of mosquitoes on the east side of the lake where you first leave the trail, so we moved over to the west side and were able to escape the wind and the bugs! However, we did wake up to lots of mosquitoes in the morning. From there we hiked up the Canyon Glacier Trail all the way to just below the saddle. There was lots of snow once we got to about 5600 feet. We headed back out to Wasco Lake to camp but ended up hiking up to Koko Lake for the second night due to hellacious amounts of mosquitoes at Wasco. Koko was windy but much less buggy and had a beautiful view of the mountain and Wasco lake down below. Day 3 we hiked south on the PCT back to the trailhead. Once we gained some elevation up to the ridge the snow started (~5600'). Frequent, intermittent patches of snow cover the trail all the way until about the intersection with the Summit Lake trail (which we did not see..). They make the going slow, but otherwise were totally passable and previous hiker's boot pack made navigating easy. My dog didn't seem to have any paw pain or need for booties (I was worried about this based on previous reports), but we also had low temps and lots of snow-cover on the parts of the trail I imagine are typically covered with the sharp volcanic rock. All in all a great time on a gorgeous trail, especially on the section of the PCT along the ridge!

Hiked the loop Counter clockwise over the weekend. East side was good. Some downed trees and a few larger creek crossings towards Wasco lake. Views are amazing and normally would not be a too difficult About a month to early for the north and west sides. Still around 5-8 feet of snow and ended up losing the trail and following a GPS for around 8 miles. Snow doesnt melt until around a mile before Santiam lake Trail.

one week ago, we went clockwise. Did hiker summit, camped a couple miles before wasco. 11 miles day 1. second day we added canyon meadow trail, and then continued back to loop and back to car at PCT lot. 17 miles day 2 for a total of around 28 miles in two days. Amazing and beautiful trip, highly suggest. Saw one mountain goat. Clear blue skies, just some cold cold wind.

Dropped by later in the season (late October) last year and was blocked by snow after 5 miles or so ... so I made a point to come back a bit earlier this year and I'm so glad I did as the fall colors and the tail end of the summer bloom was in full effect. I went counter Clockwise and the timing worked out nicely with the sunset and sunrise. However if you are headed south on the PCT first thing in the morning you will likely meet more people - In my case at least 5 groups of hunters and 4 groups of hikers. (I would go clockwise if I wanted to avoid people on the full loop. ) I ended up camping on the downslope somewhere around where the trail branches off for summit lake. This spot was amazing for a 360 degree view of sunset, moonrise, and then sunrise.

A great overnight if you are used to putting in 10+ mile days. Went clockwise getting most elevation out of the way on the first day, then Camped at Wasco lake and cruised to the parking lot through the major burn areas on day 2. First day was almost completely caught in a cloud with a steady rain all night, but the second day was full of sun and incredible views of Three Fingered Jack, Black Butte, Mt. Washington, and even glimpses of broken top through the clouds!

Tough hike, but so worth it! We went counterclockwise, departing the parking lot at 3:30 on Friday, stayed the night at Booth Lake, put in a tough slog on Saturday, and camped at Summit Lake Saturday night. A parking permit is required at the parking lot, but there didn't appear to be anywhere to buy one. We have a NW Forest Pass, but you could probably buy a parking pass at the Detroit ranger station (the lot is regulated by Willamette NF, but the trail is regulated by Deschutes NF). The second half of the hike was extremely dry - load up on water at Wasco Lake. Highly recommend dog booties - lots of hot sand and sharp rocks. Finally, for the love of god, PLEASE pack out all your trash. I came across used toilet paper and a bag of dog poo.

Great hike. Wild flowers and butterflies abounded. We took our time and did it in three days hiking counter clockwise, Tuesday thru Thursday. First night at Jack Lake. Kind of ok for swimming, doesn’t get deep enough and you sink down to mid calf level in the muck. As stated previously it is very windy and the fine silt blows right into your tent through the mesh. Best to camp back by the parking lot in one of the spots with a picnic table. More protected. Day two Canyon Creek Meadows was amazing. This made it worth every dusty hot step we had to take getting there. We saw four mountain goats-including a mom with her baby. The glacial tarn is beautiful and the views restorative. Second night at Wasco Lake. Mosquitoes weren’t too bad, and we were the only ones there. Great Lake to swim in-not too cold-gets deep quickly. Really enjoyed our afternoon lazing in the sun after our swim. Hiked out on day three. On this portion of the trail the mosquitos we’re bothersome whenever we stopped for a snack or rest. If you bring your dog-definitely get booties to protect their paws. We met one poor dog at 2:00 p.m. near the end of the trail, and it was hiding in the bushes trying to get away from the heat and hot sandy trail...I hope the owners turned back, as they were just heading out for Wasco Lake.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Beautiful views and great swimming lakes! We hiked it clockwise spending the first night at Wasco lake and the second night at Square lake. Overall a great hike but be prepared for HOT sandy trails that will burn dog's feet on hot days (it was 95 degF). Bring gators for sand. 90% of this hike is in the burn/full sun, only 10% of this hike is in the shade. Plenty of mosquitoes on the PCT between Santiam pass and Wasco lake. There's not much water between Santiam pass and Koko lake so bring a lot of water or fill up when you can. Wasco lake was crowded with hikers and mosquitoes. Square lake was awesome with no people and few mosquitoes! I'd recommend this hike, especially on days cooler than 90 degF and after mosquito season is over!

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Beautiful hike! I hiked it counter clockwise all in one day. Definitely recommend taking more than one day to do this hike, especially in the summer. It was very hot as most of the hike is not shaded due to old burn areas. Absolutely love this hike though, one of my favorites!!

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Started counterclockwise. The sun was HOT through the burnt forest, but as we trucked on the breeze cooled us down. We stopped at small creeks along the way. We passed wasco lake as it there were many campers, and moved up to Koko lake. There was a perfect spot to setup camp about 200 yards off of the trail. Another 100 yard walk and we had a beautiful overlook of wasco lake. There was some snow to hike through on the north west side of the mountain, but following the footprints (and bear prints) lead us the right way back to the PCT 2000. If you’re doing this as an overnight bring more water than you’d expect. I loved this hike.

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Hiked counter clockwise. First night we stayed at Jack Lake and it was miserable. The east side of Jack lake is incredibly windy. Use the camping grounds they have set up instead of camping off trail. Not enough new growth to block out the wind. We ended up with dirt in our tents and made it hard to sleep. Day two we hit the meadows and went up to the crater and saw the glacier run off. After that lunch at Wasco lake. We're now camped at 6300ft off the PCT. The sunset was incredible and this camping site is perfect. After you hit the snow pack run offs that form the veins on the east side of Jack. You will pass a spot that you could almost overlook. It's around 5.4 miles from the end of the trailI, about 300 feet off trail west with a spot for a tent and a firepit. Tonight made up for last night's wind storm!!! Beautiful views and a great camping spot.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

A great loop trail through beautiful scenery. We hiked it counter-clockwise in two days. Be careful not to lose the trail - with snow (still present above 6,000' in mid-June 2018) this is a concern.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Incredible loop trail.Hiked clockwise. Got a late start yesterday from Santiam Pass and camped at Jack Lake. Headed down into Canyon Meadows once descended the three switchbacks. Trail is pretty easy to find down but we lost it in the Meadows. Just kept heading east until reached creek and crissed to trail and then to Jack Lake. Lots of snow and exposure on PCT above 5500. Wind and ice this morning and wide open views thru Booth and Square lakes. Overall a great hike....loved it

Friday, August 25, 2017

Had a great time backpacking the loop during eclipse weekend

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Beautiful trip, about 12 miles of the same burn section that is long, hot, and boring. The views from the top make the trip completely worth it. Since there were multiple fires in the area, the smoke and heat will really get to you. Plenty of lakes to cool off in!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

perfect 2 day ripper for experienced backpackers, or a solid day for the adventurous day trip. Awesome views all around the loop. I recommend camping in upper Canyon Creek Meadow which is about half way through the loop (13ish if clockwise/11 if counterclockwise) I started late afternoon and went counterclockwise towards Summit Lake. The first 8 miles are in the burn, so hitting this during the evening hours gave some respite from the heat. surface is sandy. If you get an early start out of Canyon Creek in the morning, you also miss most of the heat on day 2. As youll tuck in begind the summit ridge after climbing out of the canyon. Fill up your water at Koko, last chance for approx 6miles. You'll be on the PCT and will encounter some through hikers. Give em a smile and congratulate them on reaching a major milestone. Most will hit their 2,000 mile mark at some point along this stretch. This is a popular trail, so by timing your trip like I did, you'll end up with more hours of open trail. Bring your pooch!

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Really great trail! Unique terrain due to the fire, but it's really hot in most places due to the lack of shade. Lots of lakes to jump in on the way though! The PCT gives you a great view of the upper meadow and Three Fingered Jack. Make sure to bring plenty of water containers.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Nice overnight hike. Make sure you go late enough in the year because you can lose the trail on the west side after Wasco Lake due to snow. Also a few stretches that are grueling because of all the down trees that haven't been cleared in many years. Beautiful hike and worth the hard work. Great views almost the entire time.