The Old Growth Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(138)
McDonald-Dunn Forest

The Old Growth Trail is a 2.4 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corvallis, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 km Elevation Gain: 76 m Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. A wonderful short hike through the old growth of MacDonald Forest You'll start a steep descent, but not long to "floor" then similar hike back up to the road. You'll see towering old growth trees and lush under growth. Once back on the road, go right on the gravel road and take time to look at the old quarry on your way back to your car. This hike will be muddy in the winter.

Green!

closed

Website says all mcdonald trails closed now

Super fun trail!

Nice, wide open walk!

Pleasant trail, well kept, very pretty forest. Trail was super well maintained, just a bit muddy at points.

This was a perfect short hike. Trail was well maintained and easy to maneuver

Great trail, like all of these have been here. We took the wrong road, double backed on the vineyard trail, which was pretty. The gravel walk was walking on a service road, but the gravel pit with water was neat to go and see. Saw baby fish even, stocked fish? The actual old growth forest is lovely green with Giants! narrow trail through it, then leading into the new growth is a workout. The last quarter walking out of the new growth back to the car was all uphill and a challenge for me. Doable, but frequently stopping to catch my breath. I am not in great shape, and smoked for 20 years. Great to inch into some moderate trails, and push yourself into elevation hikes.

This trial was GORGEOUS, and exactly as described. I am not a super seasoned hiker but this was easy to find and follow. Everything on this trail was green

Pretty, short, and easy. The northern half of the loop starts in what's actually the "New Growth trail", about halfway to the turn around point is where you get to the real "Old Growth trail" with beautiful giant trees. The southern half for your return trip is a gravel road, so you might instead want to just go back exactly the way you came.

Great short hike on the way to the Portland airport to end our Oregon vacation! Beautiful walk through managed new growth and old growth forest stands.

Wed Apr 24 2019

Short little hike

Fri Mar 22 2019

Beautiful, fairly easy hike with some elevation gain. The old growth trees are amazing...

Sat Jan 05 2019

Great trail

Fri Dec 28 2018

Enjoyed it a lot. The forest is beautiful, and I saw lots of mushrooms even at the end of December.

Wed Nov 14 2018

Pleasant easy hike with just a little hill climbing. The old growth forest was beautiful.

Mon Oct 08 2018

We were taking photos of this magnificent beautiful spiritual place!

Tue Sep 11 2018

Beautiful scenery!!

Mon Aug 13 2018

It's beautiful and serene. I walked the surrounding trails afterwards.

Wed Jun 27 2018

My husband and 4 year old and I had fun walking this trail! It was our little ones first trail and we ended up doing both the old and new growth trails. Loved the bridges and lush growth along the way. Will do this again with our extended family!

Fri Jun 15 2018

Nice trail. I end up on this when I go to McDonald a lot. a good walk in the woods.

Fri Apr 27 2018

Long gradual descent on gravel road before trail takes off into trees. It’s worth the trek, however, to see the biggest living trees I have ever seen! Wildflowers such as trillium, bleeding heart and yellow violets are in bloom now. Pretty much had the trail to ourselves at 5:30 pm Tuesday. Uphill on the way back.

Mon Apr 23 2018

nice easy hike with beautiful forest views. dog friendly too!

Mon Apr 02 2018

Nice easy trail. beautiful scenery. my 7 year old loved this section of trai.

Sat Feb 24 2018

great trail, well maintained. I'm glad I didn't bring my 2 young children as it would have been too hard for them. Definently not stroller/toddler friendly.

Sun Dec 17 2017

Easy hike. It’s pretty short but you can do multiple loops if you want something longer.

Sun Sep 17 2017

We should have read the reviews first since we missed the actual old growth trail and ended up doing a much longer hike. The trail, road width, is covered in rock and was still very pretty and peaceful! It gradually goes up hill but was an easy hike.

Thu Aug 10 2017

Both old growth trails are great (West or East sides of the road). Very beautiful forest and the trails are even decent when it's raining.

Wed May 24 2017