Learn more

The Grotto is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

Stunningly gorgeous area! First you go through the stations of the cross leading you to the grotto. The Grotto is remarkable… A fantastic display of the Christian faith. The elevator takes you to another spectacular area with a garden and a chapel overlooking the city! This week, the elevator was free so that all worshipers can pray in the garden for COVID-19. Not much ofA Trail, but a must see if you are in the area!!

Church on gorgeous grounds for a light walk. They charge to access the upper gardens. I may check that out at some point.

I don't think that I would call this a hike, by any means, but it is a beautiful place to go if you want to ride an elevator up pretty high and walk in a labyrinth.

private property

The grotto and stations of the cross are a very short distance from the parking lot. Hardly a hike of any kind. There is an upper garden but it’s $8 to take the elevator (no other way up). It’s pretty but unless this is your religion, skip this “hike”.

Thu Apr 18 2019

Absolutley beautiful grounds! A lovely stroll around the Grotto, the stations of the cross, and the upper gardens are serene and perfect for anyone even if you're not religious. Beautiful gregorian chant coming from speakers in the garden sets the scene. I will be back just to sit and listen to nature.

Tue Nov 13 2018

Amazing place. Went yesterday, they’re decorating for Christmas. It is going to be amazing, wish I was going to be here. This is maintained by Servite Monks and is a prayerful place. If you aren’t into Jesus, Mary and Joseph go somewhere else. I almost didn’t stop here because it’s such a short trail. I am so glad I did. Spent an hour and a half going going through the Rosary Garden and the Stations of the Cross, as well as the Meditation Chapel on the top. Absolutely stunning view of (I’m guessing) Mt Hood. May go back tonight after dark, just to see it lit up!

Tue Sep 18 2018

Sketchy. My boyfriend and I walked about half a mile in and we didn’t feel comfortable continuing because of how uncared for the space is. It was also right by the freeway.

Thu Aug 30 2018

Peaceful and solitude while walking through Crosses trail. Dogs arent allowed to the top but are welcome to walk along bottom trails

Wed Jul 04 2018

Sun Mar 11 2018

An amazing gem right in the heart of NE Portland.

Thu Jul 20 2017

Nice and relaxing walk. Peaceful place and really liked the meditation place. We went on a Wednesday morning and we had the place to our selves.

Wed Jul 05 2017

There are beautiful shrines to see here. It is a peaceful walk. There is also a meditation labyrinth to walk.

Sun Mar 19 2017

Quite pretty but wait until spring. Flowers haven't bloomed quite yet.

Fri Mar 03 2017

Peaceful walk, paved trails and plenty of places to sit and think. Also a popular tourist stop.

Sun Feb 21 2016

Good simple hike to the top of the butte. Good view of the city on the eastern side.

Sat Feb 20 2016

It's very pretty. We went for the Christmas lights, and I've been there a few other times.

Sun Nov 08 2015

It's beautiful, I've been in the springtime when the flowers are blooming and the winter with all the Christmas decorations. It's a must see to go up the elevator. Recommend especially for kids!

Fri Oct 02 2015

Worth it during Christmas, that's about it

Wed Sep 30 2015

Did this one during a Christmas event. Not my cup of tea but the rocks were cool.

Sat Jul 25 2015

very pretty with lots to see!

Wed Oct 10 2012

It was very quiet. Nice paved walking paths. We paid for the elevator ride up to the gardens which was very pretty.

Sun May 27 2012

We went on off season a few years back super peaceful will go back soon. Also did it during christmas but most the lower trail and didn't have the elerevator on so only can do the little bit of lower but the light very pretty but to many people for me loved it when we went off season. It's so peaceful and I felt close to God :) Hoping to do it again this year during off season. Somewhere between Feb-June I would think would be there off season small fee to get to top walking paths during off seasons (503) 254-7371 to find out elervator prices before going must do the top part. Must do no matter what religion so peaceful.