Terwilliger (Cougar) Hot Springs

Terwilliger (Cougar) Hot Springs is a 0.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blue River, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 91 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

fee

Operational Hours: Day use only. Closed sundown to sunrise (strictly enforced). Closed Thursdays from 8 a.m. - 12 noon for cleaning. Day Pass - $7 per person, per day Annual Pass - $66 per year Fee area includes hot springs, trail, lagoon, and parking lot. On site payment option.

First hot spring since moving to Oregon and it was amazing! Not really a hike in more like a walk. Took our 10 and 2 year old. Youngest one had a blast. Pretty crowded for a weekday but it is winter break as well. The naked people were all in the top pool so we stayed below them.

Pick your day and get there early. Everyone and their brother knows this little hot spot...

We will definitely be back to these hot springs. They are worth the $7 fee per person because they keep them in good shape and they are so beautiful and well maintained. I like that they added so much stonework and cement to the pools to keep the water looking clear and clean. That’s my biggest complaint about other natural hot springs - is that there is so much soul and dirt that the springs looks muddy. But these are crystal clear and gorgeous. We went with another family and altogether we can three little boys and a infant girl. Everyone loved the springs - the third pool being the favorite. Gorgeous springs!! I would recommend coming on a weekday if you can. It’s less crowded. I hear earliest is best.

The trail is very easy. The hot springs are crowded.

If you’re planning a visit to Cougar hot springs, its VERY IMPORTANT YOU PAY ATTENTION. Be careful where you park. Don’t even let your car hang a half of a foot or more in the road if the parking area is crowded. Also, be sure to get out of there BEFORE SUNSET. I had a terrible experience coming down from the springs with my two children. They had two forest rangers down there and they were HARASSING everyone that came down, and let me just say their approach wasn’t friendly at all. I was sickened as I listened to how they intimidated interrogated, and approached visitors leaving. They harassed me, and threatened to ticket me for coming out past sunset. Sunset varies. It was still light out. These guys really had the vibe like they were out to get people, and ticket them as much as possible. One ranger seemed to let his position of authority go way over his head, and had the need to flex his badge along with his oversized ego to intimidate and scare people. I was given a $180 ticket for the rear of my car hanging out in the road. I get it... but there was also other cars slightly hanging in the road, so I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. At the very least I feel I deserved a warning before being ticketed, but these guys made me stand out with my 5 year old as they ticketed me. You should have heard the tone and way they harassed every person coming down. They need to learn how to do their jobs, but do it politely. Some men take a badge and position of authority to far, and tonight was a perfect example of it. Forest rangers gone wrong...

The trail is OPEN now. $7 per person. Very easy hike to the hot springs. Clothing is optional here. I had such an amazing time today here! I will definitely be coming again. The bathrooms were horrible to change in from my hiking clothes to my swim wear, but I’m such a weirdo about smells so maybe it was just me. The 4 different areas to soak in has plenty of room for everyone to enjoy a spot to sit in. Very good time

Trail was clean and free of debris. Enjoyed my time there on 7/21/19

great trail....flip flop type. 7$ to get in. get there early or parking gets full. lots of naked people. bathrooms up top. enjoy.

Easy hike and beautiful spot! Not too crowded in the am but definitely clothing optional.

OPEN as of July 1st. New bathrooms that flush with doors at top. Very sunny now as there’s no trees from the fire...

I’ve visited these springs twice and thoroughly enjoyed each time! Short hike in along a really pretty trail. The pools range in temp with the hottest at the top. There will definitely be nudity-some people are fairly discreet while others are almost trying to get you to look at their junk...ew. There is also a fee, $7/person. This fee helps pay for a ranger to frequent the site ensuring that it stays clean, isn’t vandalized, and there isn’t any crime. As noted on All Trails, the hot springs are currently closed due to previous wildfires but are estimated to reopen end of 2019.

Thu Jan 17 2019

Does anyone know if this has opened back up?

Tue Nov 27 2018

One of my favorite hot springs. There’s just something about Cougar Reservoir that always keeps me coming back.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Road still closed at over 4 miles before the trailhead as of 06/23/18. Signs posted say not even foot traffic permitted beyond the road closure due to rock slides and danger. $300 fine for attempting and surveillance on the area.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Love this trail! So easy, so relaxing.

Mon May 28 2018

the most amazing of amazings, in my opinion. it is nature at it's finest, and the people who keep it maintained do a fine job of keeping it natural. please don't bring glass up there. it really sucks to step on broken glass. and don't be afraid to speak out to the disrespectful patrons that come up there to party, and leave their trash everywhere. this is something that should be preserved for our little ones, and their little ones as well. karma works at an accelerated pace up at cougar. you don't want to test mother nature up there, because she doesn't have problems flattening your tires, (all of them) or handing you your own ass in any form that instantly gratifies her. its an old primative forrest. and it knows no boundries, especially where idiot humans are concerned. no joke. respect it

Tue Nov 28 2017

Three pools, medium to small in size, hot as can be and ultimately refreshing! I love coming here to meditate.

Thu Aug 10 2017

You have to go early or late because after noon, there is a lot of people. It was beautiful and the the water was nice.

Thu Aug 03 2017

We went twice in one week because we loved it so much. Our two year old loved it too. What a neat place! Beautiful hike and nice hot springs. I would advise going early in the morning or late in the afternoon. The first time we went was around 4p and it was perfectly shaded. Return trip was around 11a and sun was shining bright... plus it was the hottest week of the year = too warm for me. The cool stream and bottle of water were my friends.

Mon May 29 2017

I love this place!! One of my favorites. Hadn't been there in years though, so things may have changed.

Sat May 13 2017

So much fun! I decided to wear comfy sandals on the hike in and what a mistake! Don't do that. Other than that be prepared to pay to get into the hot springs a and prepare yourself for nudity. I cannot wait to return to this gem.

Mon Apr 03 2017

Great place to fornicate. Don't bring your kids

Fri Sep 09 2016

Lots of nudity! 5$ to get in. Pretty area and beautiful springs

Tue Apr 12 2016

Long drive, curvy but pretty, in from main roads...mostly paved/maintained. Not too far in, walking. A few ups and downs on trail but it's relatively short. The pools were smaller and some shallower than I expected...top pool was closed due to rock fall, as of 2015.

Mon Mar 28 2016

we went on Easter 3/27/16...I loved it, but would prefer to go on a week day when it is less busy. Also the Rangers said they have been having cougar problems so I would suggest not bringing your dog as the tie up area is no where in sight of the springs. it's also $6 a person.

Tue Mar 22 2016

It was amazing and magical. The Cougar Hot Springs were wonderful. They were about 94 when we went in them. Camped about 2 miles up from the hot springs and Cougar Campgrounds. The sound of the Mckenzie River as we slept was delightful. The next day we followed a creek on a hike up the mountain. We found a bunch of edible mushrooms Chantrelles and Hedgehogs. It was an amazing trip to the Willamette National Forest.

Sun Feb 21 2016