Tamolitch Blue Pool via McKenzie River Trail

Tamolitch Blue Pool via McKenzie River Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near McKenzie Bridge, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This short portion of the McKenzie River National RecreationTrail takes you to the beautiful turquoise Tamolitch Pool, also known as Blue Pool. The beginning of this easy hike is through old growth Douglas fir forest. As the McKenzie River falls away, you walk along the a cliff and descend into a dry river bed eventually coming to an old lava flow. The trail is not too strenuous but there is some elevation gain as can be seen on the tracks and footing can be tricky in a few places. Be advised the trail passes one ledge with a steep drop-off to the river a short distance before Blue Pool At Blue Pool you can scamper down the steep embankment and go for a chilly swim. This pool is actually where the McKenzie River emerges after submerging into a lava tube after Carmen Reservoir, creating tamolitch falls. It's known as a dry falls, because during especially wet rainy winters the river will flood over the lava bed and waterfall into Tamolitch Pool. You can also access this trail from Carmen Reservoir and hike the trail to Trail Bridge Reservoir, rather than starting at the trail head just south of Trail Bridge Reservoir and hiking in and back out. This is a very popular spot along the McKenzie River Trail and you are likely to see hikers, runners and some mountain bikers here.

Beautiful hike!

just hiked this trail Saturday and it has been improved since we hiked it 2 yrs ago, easy hike, beautiful views ❤

March 12, 2018: BEAUTIFUL HIKE! The pool is incredible. Lots of snow for most of the hike and it was raining, but that meant we were the only ones doing the trail. A little tough at some points, but will be doing this hike again!

Good hike. Waterfall is flowing!

My favorite hike so far ! :) pretty easy, beautiful views !!! Few rocky points

Nice and easy hike along McKenzie river. Not a lot of elevation change, so good for all skill levels. Beautiful payoff at the end, if you go during waterfall season. Not too muddy and had some nice rocky spots. Another great, but popular Oregon waterfall trail. Had the falls to myself at 8am on a Sunday, but ran into quite a few groups on my way back in. Still a must see Oregon destination.

Must do hike. loved it alot.

Beautiful hike! The lava rocks all over were very neat and the river was flowing hard. My 5 yr and 6yr kids did this hike no problem. A little sticky with the mud..well avoiding it on the rocks anyway , but nothing difficult. The water was a beautiful blue and the moss all over the forest was a sight from a far off land.

Good family hike (youngest is 10) with a great payoff at the end. Only reason not 5 stars is that the trail had large sections of mud throughout. Not a big deal but it forced us to look down at our feet and not at the spectacular surroundings.

Did this hike on a whim. It was pouring rain and slippery on the rocks, but it was nice because everyone else was headed back. When I got to the pool, it literally took my breath away. This was a favorite and the pictures just don't do justice. The entire trail was so peaceful, lush and green- even without the pool it is worth it!

Beautiful and lush bright green forests. Love the porous lava looking rocks along the trails and the blue pool is gorgeous! Wear hiking boots!! Stepping on a lot of rocks and unleveled ground, as well as very muddy in the spring.

Easy, pretty hike. Beautiful Oregon countryside and majestically blue pool at the end.

One of my favorite short hikes. The falls and pool are beauriful. Be sure to go when the runoff is at its peak.

Easy hike, and very beautiful. Went yesterday and got there at 6am, only saw a small group of people as we got back to our car. I recommend going early to beat the crowd. Quite a bit of snow still on the ground, but I managed to go through easily with a pair of nikes.

Beautiful, short hike over packed snow. Family friendly and definitely worth it. Expect snow until mid March.

Awesome hike. Soft on your feet and beautiful trees. The view of the pool is incredible from above. Really cold water. Heavy trafficked trail

Great place to hike when it's not to crowded

Wonderful hike! A little muddy but still enjoyable. However, I almost missed the pool! If you reach a sign that says “does not loop around” you’ve gone too far.

Pool is BEAUTIFUL!! easy hike. We were the first ones on the trail Sunday morning. Nice to have it to ourselves for a bit. After blue pool we then hit up the Sahalie and Koosah falls and ended the day with a soak in the Terwilliger hot springs also known as Cougar hot springs. Makes a nice lil adventure.

I went on a steady drizzly day on December 2nd and I had the trail and Blue pool all to myself. One of my favorite hikes!

One of my favorite hikes!

We only saw two people on the trail when we went in March. If you don't mind hiking in snow and like the trail to yourself I suggest going in early spring.

Beautiful Blue Pool! Rocky trails and great hike. Surprisingly lots of people & dogs today. Watched a duck dive over & over. Could see everything as the water is so very clear.

Hiked this trail the end of October. We went early. We had the trail to ourselves hiking in and at “the pool” spectacular! It is lush and green with the Blue River gurgling next to the trail. Lovely big trees and the smell is wonderful. It reminded me of evergreen candles, but better. The pool is beautiful and the way it was formed is mind boggling. Definitely glad we hiked this but may not have enjoyed it as much with a lot of other people.

Awesome trail with amazing views especially when you get to the pool itself!!

Really easy, beautiful hike! The trail is blooming with green lush AND all the leaves, made for some beautiful scenery!

Really cool trail with great viewpoints!

Went yesterday with my college kids. Beautiful drive from Corvallis-with snow on the sides of the road. Beautiful hike. Few puddles and one fallen tree. We were done by 11:30. They are not kidding how popular the trail is...walking out we stopped counting when we reached 59 heads. And we still had 1/4 mike to go. Lots and lots of cars parked.

This time of year the colors are amazing the weather is cold enough though that a decent coat or sweatshirt is needed. We tried to check online about parking because of park closures and couldn’t find any information but chose to try anyway, thankfully there was plenty of room for parking at the trail head. Not being quite as regular to hiking I was correctly concerned about the difficulty of the trail. There were a few areas where there were substantial puddles, muddy paths and a downed tree to navigate around. It was however a great hike with beautiful rewarding views all along the way (assuming you can look up while trying not to stumble on the many rocks.