Tamolitch Blue Pool via McKenzie River Trail

Tamolitch Blue Pool via McKenzie River Trail is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near McKenzie Bridge, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This short portion of the McKenzie River Trail takes you to the beautiful turquoise Tamolitch Pool, also known as Blue Pool. The beginning of this easy hike is through old growth Douglas fir forest. As the McKenzie River falls away, you walk along the a cliff and descend into a dry river bed eventually coming to an old lava flow. At Blue Pool you can scamper down the steep embankment and go for a chilly swim. This pool is actually where the McKenzie River emerges after submerging into a lava tube after Carmen Reservoir. It's known as a dry falls, because during especially wet rainy winters the river will flood over the lava bed and waterfall into Tamolitch Pool. You can also access this trail from Carmen Reservoir and hike the trail to Trail Bridge Reservoir, rather than starting at the trail head just south of Trail Bridge Reservoir and hiking in and back out.

Amazing hike and the blue pool is one of the most gorgeous things I've seen

Very nice trail and the pool is sooo beautiful beyond the expected.

Beautiful! Easy hike, amazingly blue water! The water is freezing but crystal clear!

Great hike. Take plenty of water. Recommend taking wipes and second pair of shoes.

We parked around 930 and there was only 4 other cars in the parking lot on Friday AM. Saw 2 people on the trail and at the pool. After a while LOTS more people started coming in. Get there early! Slightly smoky because the fires. Good hike. Pool is amazing!!!

Amazing experience; great hike

Super awesome and scenic trail that goes along the river and opens up at the Blue Pool which is beautiful. Lots of cliff jumping options into the pool which is very deep and freezing cold! Barefoot approved! But be prepared for lots of pummus stone exfoliation

We had an amazing time on this trail. Both my grandpa (80) and my two young boys (6 and 4) were able to go back and forth with no problems

I make this hike a priority for when I'm ever in the area. It will get a good amount of traffic later in the day, so I try and be on the trail by 8-8:30 so that I get to the pool before the crowds.

Totally worth the hike! One of the most beautiful places on earth! We hike up here every time we come to Oregon.

It was definitely worth it!!
I brought my doggo and a friend (it was both their first time hiking)!! The trail was easy going and fairly traveled. Ran into a lot of people- probably because we went on a weekend.