Tamanawas Falls Trail

Tamanawas Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short hike into the waterfall. The falls itself is a large falls with a large dry cave behind the falls. Rocks can be very slippery when wet so make sure to watch your step. The dry cave makes for a great finish to the hike and a great place to eat your lunch.

Beautiful hike to a gorgeous waterfall, but please come prepared and bring traction devices for your hiking boots. The trail is very icy and steep at parts. A lady had fallen and broken her leg today. I hope she’s OK!

Did this trail on 1/20. Not enough snow for snowshoeing, but you absolutely need crampons or shoes with fabulous traction on ice. There are several areas where you're walking at a steep incline on ice.

The scenery was beautiful.

Beautiful and scenic hike to do in the winter time; but the difficulty level goes from easy to moderate when there’s snow and ice.
A “must try” hike, when snow has fallen!
Micro spikes or something similar highly suggested!

You absolutely need traction devices on your boots. We passed person who fell and possibly broke a arm. It's a ice trail over rocks and tree roots so I recommend two treking poles to help prevent tripping, snow shoes that don't have a aggressive track on the side won't get a good bite over rocks. There was a back up at the boulder field from unprepared hikers without traction devices. My wife used micro spikes by Kahtoola I used ice trekkers diamond grippers by yaktraks. If cost if a factor check and for kids check out Stabilgear brand of microspikes at P-rkrose hardware for $19.

This was a great trail! We rented crampons which are better than Microspikes per the recommendation of Mountain Shop. The rental price was 10. Some fellow hikers did not have equipment and were sliding or slipping. Happy hiking!

My first Oregon trail to hike. Really pretty Hike with a gorgeous waterfall at the end. Hiked this trail in September. Perfect weather that day

Gorgeous hike but microspikes are a must if you go during this time of year.

beautiful even in the winter. highly recommend microspikes.

beautiful views await you on this trail - however, there are slippery spots and microspikes are highly recommended!!

Went on 12/31/18. Lots of icy patches, recommend either microspikes or crampons! Snow shoes would not be helpful. Due to heavy traffic the trails are pretty packed down and slick. We made it to the waterfall and back in about 2 hours with crampons.

Lovely hike, not too busy but just as others said, bring microspikes!! It's very icy and there are patches that were slowly melting and with the new snow/colder weather, it'll turn to straight ice. We went on a Saturday and it wasn't terribly busy.

Beautiful. You def will need crampons... I did it without and it was so scary. Every slip my life flashed before my eyes. Lol.

A wonderful hike, but I would not recommend bringing children this time of year. We brought hiking poles (thankfully) but I still slipped and fell on the ice about 5 times. Definitely worth it, but if you don't have ice spikes on your shoes you will definitely end up sliding on your butt down a hill.

Absolutely beautiful! We did this hike yesterday and there was a bit of snow on the trail so be mindful about the weather when you go. Clampons/spikes would be useful!

A beautiful hike any time of the year.

beautiful hike! Not strenuous at all, with lots of great scenery. took my husband and I about 3hrs round trip as we stopped ap many time to get amazing photos. highly recommend microspikes if you're going this time of year (december), especially as you get closer to the falls and at the falls if you want to get a closer look.
only reason I'm not giving a 5 out 5 is because there were several people with dogs not on leashes. Please be courteous of other hikers (especially those who actually have their dogs on leashes). I love dogs but dont love being jumped on when I'm trying to enjoy my hike.

Lovely hike. Went up on dec 2nd. Spikes highly recommended for the final 3rd to the falls.

I absolutely love this trail!! The only problem with this trail that I have encountered, is that many folks don't leash their dogs. This makes it challenging for a dog on a leash. If one dog is on leash and the other isn't, this can create big issues between the two..Please leash your pup's, even if they are super sweet.

It was icy on some parts of the trail, but nothing that required micro spikes. They will probably be needed within the next couple weeks. You will need spikes if you want to go behind the falls though.

Very pretty trail and waterfall. Follows the river the entire way. Microspikes are highly recommended!! don't let the beginning of the trail fool you. It gets icey and rocky.

Did this hike on a beautiful mid-November morning. The scenery was wonderful! You shouldn’t get lost on this trail, it’s well traveled.

Really great hike. Stopped by in October 2018 after I ran the Columbia Gorge Half Marathon. Hiked to the Falls with my Mom. The trail follows the creek for most of the way to the falls. It was a great opportunity to test out different settings on my camera. Some parts are rocky and slippery; bring good shoes.

Great hike along a river with plenty of smaller falls on the way. There was a downed tree on the trail when I went (11/09/18) about 1.6 miles in. It gets rocky in some parts, but overall fairly easy.

Completed 8-26-18
Favourite

Nice easy hike with a few slightly steep & rocky areas. When we got to the trailhead parking lot around 10:30, there was already about 10 cars and when we got back to the parking lot after our hike around 2:30, there was at least 25 cars. Popular trail, but it wasn’t crowded. No port-a-potty, so plan accordingly :)

Love.

Did it with our Golden and had an amazing time. Side note: Rocky in some spots. We passed by some people that turned around because they thought they were at the end of the trail (Don't do this! The waterfalls are gorgeous!)

R

Beautiful scenery on a clear October day. Just the drive here from PDX proper was worth it. A few other hikers on a Monday morning but didn’t feel crowded. Path gets rocky & has a few largish root tangles throughout but nothing truly difficult. Area near the falls can be very slippery, but how far up you go is up to you - it’s selfie-worthy at the bottom too. Path follows water throughout, super pleasant. Gorgeous short hike.

My brother & I hiked this trail and I've got to say this hike is PERFECT if your not trying to go on a really long hike that has difficult terrain to navigate.
The waterfall at the end is DEFINITELY worth every bit of the hike that it takes to get there.
Plus the whole trail on the way to the waterfall has amazing views and cool spots to stop at.

Fee parking, well-marked trail, big parking lot...great for kids & dogs...go early to beat the weekend crowds...steady incline, beautiful Fall foliage and waterfall