Tamanawas Falls Trail

Tamanawas Falls Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short hike into the waterfall. The falls itself is a large falls with a large dry cave behind the falls. Rocks can be very slippery when wet so make sure to watch your step. The dry cave makes for a great finish to the hike and a great place to eat your lunch.

Not much snow or ice yet. I was fine with normal boots.

Very good trail markings. Essentially no snow. We went behind the waterfall and had a snack. It was awesome.

One of my most favorite hikes ever. Beautiful forest trail leading up to a definitely worth it waterfall.

lots of snow and ice. you need poles and yak trax on your shoes. the falls is beautiful and worth the trip in.

if you are prepared this is a fun hike. It is not runable.

Did this hike two weeks ago and the ground was already covered in snow. Beautiful but wasn’t what I expected. I thought from the other pictures that there would be a cave behind the falls and there wasn’t any ...
the trail is gone maybe .4 miles from the falls. A landslide. But you can crag up it if you’re in shape and have the right shoes when it’s icy out.

This hike is amazing for snowshoeing! I look forward to do it again this year when winter comes around again.

This hike is absolutely gorgeous! The climb is not too steep and you'll see tons of little critters around. When I took the hike back in July there was a rock slide and the rocks had blocked the trail, but it was a fun adventure climbing up and around to get back to the trail to reach the falls. Upon reaching the falls, it is so serene and peaceful. It is a great spot even for a picnic and there are wood logs to sit on. The squirrels down by the waterfall run the place and are super friendly. It's quite an amazing oasis!

This hike till this day is one of my favorites no matter how short it was absolutely stunning and the scenery makes you feel as if your in a movie!!! Check out my pics and you will understand

seeing the falls was amazing, but climbing up behind it was even better! the climb to the cave behind the falls was a little scary because it’s so wet and there’s not a trail, just a bunch of rocks. just be sure to go slow and to always have a hold on one of the rocks. the rockslide before the falls is an obstacle but totally doable, again, just go slow and always have something to hold on to!

Great trail. The falls are totally worth the hike. Enjoyed scrambling over the landslide.

easy trail the reward is lovely at the end. Rock fall wasn't so bad for us to get over.

Perfect short hike with a giant payoff!

I guess I'm a 60-something wimp who needs to put "125 Hours" out of mind and try the darn rock scramble. I just got the ntimidated today became it was hard to get myself and my hiking poles up and over. I knew the falls were close, but I guess the scramble scrambled my nerve. Others seemed blasé about it. Maybe their bones are younger. The hike up to the slide features cool breeze and sounds from the river, and is easy to follow. It's not a trail for solitude, but it's not the Disney feel of some of the close to Portland big draws.

As others mentioned, a rockslide has the trail washed out just before the falls. I was able to get across with my 7 and 9 year old. We do a lot of hiking so the challenge didn't scare us- this may be a bit much for younger children or kids with minimal hiking experience. Otherwise, the trail is pretty simple, beautiful scenery from start to finish, and the falls are WELL worth the extra effort of getting over the rocks!

Simple and fun. Beautiful waterfall you can stand behind. Rock slide made things interesting but well worth climbing over it.

Really enjoyed this hike today! However, as some of the other reviews mentioned, because of the rockslide this trail is no longer an easy or small-child friendly hike. The slide is about a quarter-mile before the waterfall and it is pretty tricky to get around, but doable if you have good shoes on.

Awesome

Josh loves the hike

This was a decent hike. We paralleled the highway for a while, and I was starting to wonder if we should have taken a different trail. Hood River mutes the hwy noise a bit, but it's definitely still there. Then we turned off the road and the hike was much better.

Relatively short, you hike in along the North Fork creek. There was a rockslide at some point which has completely blocked the trail. It is passable, but a bit dangerous for some. Be careful!

Once past the rocks, you're practically at the falls. They are beautiful.

Shorter and less strenuous than I would have hoped for, but a good hike all the same.

beautiful falls!