Tamanawas Falls Trail

Tamanawas Falls Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short hike into the waterfall. The falls itself is a large falls with a large dry cave behind the falls. Rocks can be very slippery when wet so make sure to watch your step. The dry cave makes for a great finish to the hike and a great place to eat your lunch.

Fantasy hike!

6/16/18
This hike was beautiful!! 10/10 would do again. It was very moderate, didn’t feel the uphill at all (except in one short rocky spot). Lots of tree cover for sun shading/protection from the rain (it rained on our way down but felt very light with the trees). The waterfalls were beautiful, you can climb on the rocks to get behind it if you want to (a bit slippery but worth it).

This was my first Oregon hike - what a stunning way to start! Great trail with relaxing spots to admire the river. The waterfall is glorious. If we would have packed lunch we could have stayed all day. Decided to hike back and enjoy lunch by the river where the trail begins. Highly recommend!

Beautiful hike. Loved it.

Amazing trail with spectacular waterfall- good variety of terrain

This is actually a 4 mile hike! Got confused in the rocky portion and ended up scrambling in the dirt. There’s actually small switch backs that I didn’t notice until my way back to the car. The trail is heavily wooded and shaded but I still found it to be pretty hot in some areas. Gorgeous waterfall that has a refreshing mist. I went early enough that I had the place mostly to myself to enjoy. Parking lot was full when I left at 11:30!

Great trail to the falls, right along a river/creek the whole way there and pretty shaded so it wasn’t too hot! Once you get to the falls there isn’t a great place to sit down because of the amount of people and most blowing in your face but very pretty.

Nice little day hike, well shaded with lots of gorgeous wooded areas. There was some confusion when we got to the portion of the trail that washed out a few years ago, but we were able to ask others on the trail which way to go.

Went in January. It was very icy so microspikes were necessary in certain parts. Was hoping for falls to be completely frozen over but that is what next year is for ;)

Took 5 kids to the falls. Just far enough to make a nice hike, short and easy enough to get no whining. Great hike with nice payoff at the end.

Wonderful hike, nice and shady, and going on a weekday makes for a not too crowded adventure. One of my favorites with an amazing waterfall!

Beautiful little hike along a river to spectacular falls. I’d love to go again on a week day, the trail was very crowded.

Went yesterday. Was a good hike and a AWESOME waterfall! Very busy .Phone track said 4 Miles round trip.

Absolutely beautiful trail - there were many spots for photo ops, and the waterfall is stunning.

Well maintained, moderate trail. Beautiful views all the way to the end. Two bridges, lots of great photo ops. Loved every minute of it.

Absolutely beautiful. Thought it was an easy walk with beautiful scenery. I got really close to the waterfall and was soaking wet. So worth it. Felt so alive!!! We went in April it was perfect. Sunny and 70 degrees. Shoes like chacos are perfect for this hike. I recommend going back the same way you came. We went the other way on Polalie to check it out when we left, and we didn’t like it as much. Trail was not as pretty, narrow, and felt like a bear was going to come at any moment lol. Have fun

A nice easy trail with a great pay off.

The trail was nicely groomed. There were a few spots near the Falls we got a little confused as to where the trail was. Our two dogs managed the trail and had so much fun.

Moderate trail with some larger rocks to scale. Busy on a spring week day. Waterfall was worth the work. Poorly marked at parts but “temporary” paper yellow signs marked the trail at times.

22 April
No snow on the trail. My wife and I were able to hike up with our infant son with no problems. I was able to get behind falls as well.
Our phone had it at 4+ miles round trip, and the signs along the trail indicate it is just over 2 miles one way, so be ready for a bit longer than 3.3 miles.

BEAUTIFUL waterfall!

Definitely worth the work for a short trip. Ice in quite a few spots still but easy to manage with just boots. Can't wait to try this one again after the snow and be able to get behind the falls.

Snow covered forest trail following the water and an amazing falls at the end. Beautiful!

Super pretty hike. The entire trail was covered in hard packed snow and some ice. Boots chains and poles for the win!

Went this weekend. It was amazing. 3/17/18 it was snowy still, slippery in some places. Be careful, but otherwise wonderful!

Short easy hike. Very crowded. Amazing waterfall. In order to enjoy this hike, snow spikes or hiking boots for icy and snowy surface is required. In my opinion, snowshoes are a little bit overkill.

Really a gorgeous hike. Snow was covering the trail so leave your nikes at home and hike with good traction shoes. Spectacular view at the end of this trail!

Absolutely gorgeous hike. Lots of great people and friendly pups along the way. Snow was covering the trail, good shoes with adequate traction or shoe spikes would be a wise choice. Not deep enough for snowshoes.

Great hike. Treacherous without traction. Snow melt bogs at some points, but can be walked around.

Favorite waterfall in the Mt.Hood NF. Typically short easy trail

1/14/18-

First 1/4 mi of trail was clear with spots of thick very slick mud. 1/4 way in trail turns to solid black ice...spikes are needed!

Found pair of shoes at trailhead mens size 9. So if they are yours I have them!