Tam McArthur Rim Trail

Tam McArthur Rim Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

As of 4/15/2019, the road leading to the trailhead is closed. Please check with the park for more information. Hike in the Three Sisters Wilderness with a great view of Three Creek Lake. From the Three Creeks Lake trailhead, follow a winding switch back single track trail up the mountain and out of the tree line. This tops out on the "Tam McArthur Rim" with a great view of Broken Top Mountain and the valley below. You then hike along the rim through a snow field (at least into August) and onto McArthur Rim at an elevation of 7732 feet. From here you have a great view all the way around.

Great views. Hard pack snow and ice in some spots. I had my mileage around 6 miles.

icy

Beautiful day, hike had areas of packed ice and snow. We had poles and cramp ons and glad we did most of the way. Up toward the middle, follow the first sign for Tam McArthur Rim Trail, not the horse trail, but do use the second labeled horse trail toward to top, which also leads to the overlook viewpoint. The main trail was too treacherous and covered in ice and snow. If you slipped on that part, it was over the cliff for you. We continued on to broken top trail after McArthur Rim and the trail was hard to find in a couple places, but there’s service here, so the All Trails app kept us on track when it was harder. It was also snow packed some of the way, but mostly flat until you reach the broken top rim. Recommended even with the light snow cover for sure!

Beautiful trail. A bit of snow/ice but not too bad. Didn’t use any equipment

I’m very disappointed that I’ve waited as long as I have to hike this trail. Today (10/30) was absolutely incredible and I’m already looking forward to going back. Good amount of snow on the trail but fairly easy to follow previous tracks. Go do it, the views are amazing.

Empty the whole way up. Diverse terrain and exceptional views. A bit cloudy but did not matter. Easy drive and no walking poles needed.

Trail is in great condition. A few icy or muddy spots. View from the rim is great, and a more spectacular close up is Sisters and Broken Top can be found by taking the trail to Broken Hand. Totally worth it! Road to TH good for small cars. Good pit toilet at campground past the TH about 1/2 mile.

Hiked on 10/3/19. The snows from the recent storm left about 1-2” snow in shady spots but overall was not too difficult a hike to the top. Somewhat slippery on lower section.

Thoroughly enjoyed this rugged hike. I think I would classify it a bit more than moderate for most folks, as it’s pretty steep in some parts, and contains a few areas with loose shale ... but the views are amazing and absolutely worth every step. Rocky areas, forested areas, high meadows, incredible vistas. Still open Sept 22, 2019

Straightforward 5 mile hike. Not sure what others refer to as “technical” but is pretty straightforward. No water on the trail. Had our first snow ball fight of the year from the tiny patches of snow above 7500ft. 1h10m up, snack, 1h down. Pretty cloudy though so we missed out on the views. A hike for CO visitors for sure.

recorded Tam McArthur Rim Trail

Great local hike to a wonderful view point.

Beautiful! We got there around 9 am the lot was full . Wear sun protection and bring lots of water. The views are amazing. The trail has cliffs and slate rock so a little technical. We saw children in this trail I personally would not recommend it.

Absolutely gorgeous Labor Day hike. Took the old trail back, it was a rough trail but fun! Highly recommend

Endless views on a clear day. We did this on a hot day in the afternoon with 7 kids (2-11) and 6 adults and 2 dogs. The four and five year olds were able to do the whole hike with a few shady breaks for water. One part of the trail at the top was a little too close to the edge for the littles but the view was amazing. There was a trail behind this part that was more safe for the kids to reach the very end where the Mountain View’s were beautiful. Also great to finish at the lake where there are lots of activities to do. A favorite family hike for sure.

We opted to go to Broken Hand. We didn't go down to No Name Lake as it was the most ugly brown color. Excellent hike with great views and different landscape around every corner!

Best views this summer!

Hiked this today, by 8:45 there were already 7 cars but we saw people sporadically. Took us 5 hours but we also did the side trail at the top towards Broken Top. It was a nice cool day so the inclines were easier, too cloudy to see most of the mountains but BT stayed visible most of the hike. I’d take both my kids and dog on this hike but they weren’t with me today. Got to chat with a ranger and a few visitors. Even with getting rained out at the end and not much mountain visibility, this hike jumped to my favorite today. I’ll definitely be back more than once. Be prepared for some elevation, if you take the side trail you’ll hit 8k easy.

For a relatively short hike, the views on this one are spectacular. The inclines are definitely inclines, but there are some great stretches of flat trail throughout to catch your breath. While we didn’t on this hike, once you’re at the top, there’s additional trails to explore, most of which are relatively flat. We’ve had great picnic lunches below Broken Hand. Highly recommend this one!!! Also - for those with kiddos, my 7 year old did this one. He’s done other hikes in the area (including Black Butte), but it was totally doable for him.

It was such a great hike! Lots of sunny spots but good shady areas as well! Quite the climb, but it wasn’t straight up. Slow gradual incline with a couple intense spots! Great for most ages!

We had a fantastic time hiking this trail - 2 adults, one 11 year old. Plenty of shade and still some wildflowers. Terrific views of the lake, mountains. Some breaks in the climbing/elevation let your heart catch up a bit. A good workout without being too tough. Views make it totally worth it, as does dipping your feet into the lake once you get back to the trailhead. Limited amount of people on the hike.

Great trail! Super views!

Beautiful views the entire way!

Good trail. Great views.

Beautiful views throughout the hike of the surrounding area