Tahkenitch Dunes Trail

Tahkenitch Dunes Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gardiner, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 695 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

This loop hike provides several interesting changes in scenery on the Oregon Coast. This is a fun afternoon hike where you'll pass through beautiful spruce forests, cross large dunes, ford a stream, and wash your sea salt off in a freshwater lake! When you get to the beach take a rest and relax with beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean.

fee

great hike! I would definitely do this again. Lots of mushroom pictures. some of my favorite pictures.

Unique and beautiful.

Only thing that knocks a star off is lack of clear marking when you first hit the dune section. Also, if you’re doing the loop, take the fork that says “campground”, NOT “parking lot”. The latter sends you back up to the Tahkenich trailhead, which is not the same as the dunes route. Overall, a really gorgeous, mostly shaded forest hike with some sand and beach. Will do again for sure!

Magical. From the campsite car park thru rhododendron blooms, into encapsulating scrub, emerging to giant dunes and the sound of crashing waves. A long walk along a golden, wind-swept and completely empty beach before returning thru a simply stunning forest. 6 miles of heaven. My dog loved it too.

$5 day use fee. Easy clear trail. We started with the southern loop. 2/3 way out to the coast we took our shoes off and walked in sand. 3/21/19 afternoon til sunset it was partial sun and comfortable with moderate layering, windy on the beach.

Mon Jul 30 2018

We hiked the dune trail to Three Mike Lake, taking the longer loop at the beginning. Because of the Sandy Plover we didn’t walk on the beach portion with the pup. Hike ended up being about 7.8 miles. There was thick sand throughout the portion from the main trail to the lake. Went off trail towards the end and through some dune valleys and peaks before scrambling up a dune to reach the rim overlooking the lake. Could hear the ocean, very peaceful, there was no one else out there.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Great loop hike

Sun Mar 25 2018

Turned out to be a lot longer then we thought. The trail through the dunes is not marked very well just just keep a eye out for the trail markings. I didn’t record this I forgot to turn it on but it took us about 2hrs. We did this with our 1yr and 5yr old 1yr old in a pack once reaching the beach it seems like forever before you see the trail to start back just be prepared for a work out hiking through the dunes is not a easy task.

Tue Jan 23 2018

Loved this hike though it turned out a bit longer than we intended. We did not go far enough down the beach to cut back in so we doubled back and went through the dunes turning it into about 10 miles. Just make sure you keep going down the beach until you see a big sign on the left, it is in the area where vehicles are allowed.

Tue Oct 31 2017

The trail map is out of date. This trail now connects with the Takenitch creek trail to the north.

Sat Sep 16 2017

we only made it as far as the dunes because we started too late in the day (we stumbled on it accidentally on a drive through the area after dinner) but it was so beautiful! took our three kids (8, 6, and 2) and our Saint Bernard and they all handled it easily. we plan to go back early in the day and walk the entire thing because it was so breathtaking!

Fri Sep 15 2017

Diverse and amazing scenery, forest meets dune slopes. Great for trail running. Nicely shaded in the forest, secluded beach

Fri Jul 01 2016

we were so bit up by mosquitos we had to turn back after making it across the bridge and I would never have made it across sand dunes to the ocean as I have an ankle I broke in 2006 it does not do well over dunes at all. rolls too much. I advise to heavily think about repellant before taking this trail.

Mon Aug 24 2015

This was an interesting hike. I wish I could use more detail but this was a while ago. I just remember pulling into a parking lot and starting our hike, and getting lost. We were trying to get to the beach. It turned out that we went into the wrong enterence. We finally got on the right trail which was in a forest setting but eventually lead out to the dunes. It was really awesome actually.. We got the the beach, and there was hardly anyone out there. We set up a blanket and started to relax until we noticed fresh mountain lion tracks right next to us. It was fun.

Thu Jul 30 2015

We did this last spring. It's an interesting hike. We didn't actually see any wildlife but did saw LOTs of tracks including bear tracks. It starts out going through a shore pine forested area then through dunes out to the beach. Then as the trail returns back into the wooded area you come to the little lake... more of a pond really. From there the trail actually got a bit confusing. We did a little bushwhacking then back tracked a ways. Ultimately we essentially tossed a coin and took what turned out to be the correct trail to complete the loop.

recorded Tahkenitch Dunes Trail