EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Sunset Bay to Cape Arago

Sunset Bay to Cape Arago is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Coos Bay, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 702 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

This hike is a beautiful coastal walk along a strip of Oregon coastline. This amazing hike starts in beautiful Sunset Bay, takes you through beautiful gardens in Shore Acres State Park, stops at a sea lion viewpoint off a road and ends with a closeup view of sea lions at Cape Arago. The return trip takes you a slightly different way for different coastal views past amazing rock formations. It is an easy afternoon and you should definitely bring a camera!

Stunning trail, we walked from Sunset to the Sea Lion lookout. A must-do if you’re from east of the Mississippi; however, it’s unfortunate that the trail isn’t marked properly. Virtually zero chance of getting lost, but a very high chance of wasting time. Definitely download the map to make sure you’re headed where you want to go. We loved hearing the marine life as we approached the viewing area. Don’t pass this one by!

Thoroughly enjoyed this hike, and the wildlife that we encountered. We had the trail to ourselves until around midday, then it got a little more crowded. Trail is in very good condition, but could use some markings or blazes along the way; we saw only a few random pieces of ribbon to mark the way, and a pair of men’s underwear hanging from a branch on the side of the trail. Starting the hike in the morning was absolutely the right decision. Take a camera and a pair of binoculars!

Absolutely loved this trail. Lots of alternate routes keep the hike interesting, but the views alone make it worth checking out. Easy to make it as long or as short a hike as you’d like.

Beautiful hike! The trails were well kept and the views were amazing! I hiked on a Tuesday morning and it wasn't super busy so I felt like I had the whole trail to myself. I loved everything about it!

Easy access, flat, cool and shady with breathtaking views at the end of the trail

great views near shore acres so, might be worth starting there

Absolutely beautiful! The weather was nice and sunny not much wind at all.

Breathtaking scenery, easy trails!

I would recommend starting the trail early in the day. I began at 10:00 AM and finished at 2:00 PM. The trail is not always clearly marked, however after you see Simpson Beach, listen for the sea lions barking and you know you are headed the right way!! When I arrived at Simpson Reef I wasn’t sure if I should take the pack trail or stick with the road. I opted for the pack trail and then ended up on a dirt road and a camp site. Take the dirt road down and then you will end up at Cape Arago!

A breathtaking hike with quintessential Oregon Coast flavor. Don’t miss it!

This is a stunning hike. Hikers with dogs should note that you can walk the Oregon Coast Trail behind the formal gardens in Shore Acres although all signs say that dogs are not allowed in the park.

stunning views of the coast line. parts of the trail through the forest are not well marked.

Amazing views of coast, forest, and of sea lions and seals. This trail was had a clear path, but the signage was poor, and we got confused several times looking for the correct trail, crossing the highway, and near the lookouts.

Beautiful views once you get on the trail. It lies between the ocean and the road, and parts are in the forest. It has a few nice lookout points as well.

The trail it’s self is fun and winds along the coat line and into the timber and across a few meadows. With several other state parks along the way it would have been nice for the signs to be better, well there really aren’t any signs at all. But with an ocean on one side and a road on the other for 75 % you can’t really get lost.

beautiful scenery!

This is the first trail I had done on the Oregon Coast and man it was so worth the hike.. Beautiful scenery and just amazing views all around...

My 7 yr old grandson and I did a round trip hike from Shore Acres to Simpson Reef wayside. 3 hrs round trip. Beautiful hike.

What’s not to love? Crashing waves to the west and old forests to the east, you wind your way along cliffs and coastal trails to the rhythm of constantly changing vistas. The trails are quite easy and good for all age groups. Best of all, you’ll encounter only moderate pedestrian traffic while you enjoy tranquility and good exercise. Take along a day pack with water and some snacks, but please leave it clean and leave behind no litter.

Friday, October 12, 2018

Absolutely amazing trail, right out of National Geographic! Spring time, marvel at the pups sunning themselves at mid trail point. Whales can be seen year round. Trails well kept, a surprise around each bend! Benches provided to rest and for over 30 crowd, convinient stop point to apply numbing cream to knees! Winter brings huge swells, the pacific flexes her muscles, shows us who is boss! Very easy trail, so many distractions along the way, making it fun and healthy!

Monday, September 03, 2018

This is one of my all-time favorite hikes! Yesterday I hiked from Cape Arago to Sunset Bay and back. I hiked trails down to the beach twice. My FitBit showed 8.75 miles and 68 flights of stairs. It doesn’t get more beautiful than this trail! From the views of the cliffs, the sea lions and whales, the forrests and the stunning Botanical Gardens located halfway at Shore Acres.....this hike will not disappoint!!!

Saturday, September 01, 2018

So scenic!!! Great hike

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Great walk along the cliff’s today.

Friday, June 08, 2018

This is definitely one of my favorite trails I've ever been to! Park at the South parking lot of sunset bay along cape arago highway, cross over the small footbridge in the parking lot and head south! The trail isn't extremely well marked, but as long as you hug the coast line you'll be ok. If you feel lost at any time, it's pretty simple to either go towards the coast, or the road. ..I do believe at one point, you must walk along the roadside to get to the next portion, shortly in between the start of where you're almost at the gardens. We didn't even make it to cape arago park on the southern most area, although we did see the lighthouse so that part was a little confusing as well. Keep your eye out for baby seals and sea lions and their families! they almost blend right into the rocks so if you don't look carefully, you may not even see em! the garden was lovely. This whole place was gorgeous, and so is Coos Bay, North Bend, Charleston, and the rest of our beautiful Oregon Coast. If you only have time for one trail in Oregon, make it this one!!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Did the portion of the hike that stretches from Simpson Reef to Shore Acres. It's an easy hike with spectacular views!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Great trail. For running it is a little rough as the trail is cluttered with tree roots.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

We started at Sunset Bay and hiked about 2 miles towards Cape Arago before we turned around. We can’t wait to do the complete trail when we have more time. The beginning of the trail was pretty muddy at this time of year, but only the first part. The views are spectacular!

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Easy hike with some gorgeous views along Oregon’s coastline. The trail isn’t marked well but it’s pretty self explanatory. We took the road back down to Sunset from Cape Arago due to time constraints but it was still almost 8 Miles. We saw lots of marine life as well as some panoramic vistas.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Beautiful trail full of Ocean and cliff side views!