Sunset Bay to Cape Arago

Sunset Bay to Cape Arago is a 8.5 mile out and back trail located near Coos Bay, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This hike is a beautiful coastal walk along a strip of Oregon coastline. This amazing hike starts in beautiful Sunset Bay, takes you through beautiful gardens in Shore Acres State Park, stops at a sea lion viewpoint off a road and ends with a closeup view of sea lions at Cape Arago. The return trip takes you a slightly different way for different coastal views past amazing rock formations. It is an easy afternoon and you should definitely bring a camera!

Beautiful area and a great hike! However, this full trail is not dog friendly. We had to turn around halfway through because dogs are not allowed in Shore Acres State Park. Still, it was a nice 4 mile hike (out and back from Sunset Beach).

9/30/17 • Perfect day for this hike, early Fall brought cool air, blue skies and no wind. I parked at Sunset Beach on the South parking lot, the trail head leaves from the parking lot, over a bridge and up a hill. I left at 1:00 and returned 3:30 and I did the complete trail. The trails have a lot of roots across them, be careful. I would rate this trail easy until you get the the end loop which most people probably skip but I found the most rewarding. The first 3 miles are fairly flat once you crest the top of the first hill, and follows the shoreline with great views and smells of the ocean. 3 miles in there is a sea lion viewing area and right after that you cross across the road and the trail gets steep. I had trekked most of the trails along the path but never did all of them at once. I wore one backpack and took 32 oz. of water, banana and cliff bar. Towards the end of the loop there is an old home foundation that people have went in and graffiti and I found a cache with people's names which I signed. My phone was unable to connect so keep that in mind. Thanks for reading! ✌️

Doug DeShazer

One that was almost forgotten. Did this one with my wife on an anniversary trip 2 years ago. A beautiful area.

Beautiful loop that's mostly unpaved with amazing views of the ocean. Love this spot.

The most gorgeous hike around the bay. Panoramic views are spectacular.

The first half of the trail is by far the most incredible part. I took all day just exploring the first half of this trail. The second half, although there were sea lions, wasn't as interesting as it was mostly in the woods or alongside the road, but my opinion is biased due to my love and preference of the sea and the rocky Oregon coast.

great trail. lots to see.

Beautiful views and mostly well maintained

Relatively flat hike, with a few small hills sprinkled in. Really nice views of the ocean, some sections have multiple trails, very few of which are marked. There are plenty of places to watch the waves and take a break, along with a nice Botanical garden just off the trail.

I loved this trail. Being from the southeastern US this trail was totally different from the trails I normally hike. Amazing views. Highly recommend. Trail was muddy in spots but no too bad.