Sunset Bay to Cape Arago

Sunset Bay to Cape Arago is a 8.5 mile out and back trail located near Coos Bay, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

This hike is a beautiful coastal walk along a strip of Oregon coastline. This amazing hike starts in beautiful Sunset Bay, takes you through beautiful gardens in Shore Acres State Park, stops at a sea lion viewpoint off a road and ends with a closeup view of sea lions at Cape Arago. The return trip takes you a slightly different way for different coastal views past amazing rock formations. It is an easy afternoon and you should definitely bring a camera!

We started at Sunset Bay and hiked about 2 miles towards Cape Arago before we turned around. We can’t wait to do the complete trail when we have more time. The beginning of the trail was pretty muddy at this time of year, but only the first part. The views are spectacular!

Easy hike with some gorgeous views along Oregon’s coastline. The trail isn’t marked well but it’s pretty self explanatory. We took the road back down to Sunset from Cape Arago due to time constraints but it was still almost 8 Miles. We saw lots of marine life as well as some panoramic vistas.

Beautiful trail full of Ocean and cliff side views!

Beautiful area and a great hike! However, this full trail is not dog friendly. We had to turn around halfway through because dogs are not allowed in Shore Acres State Park. Still, it was a nice 4 mile hike (out and back from Sunset Beach).

9/30/17 • Perfect day for this hike, early Fall brought cool air, blue skies and no wind. I parked at Sunset Beach on the South parking lot, the trail head leaves from the parking lot, over a bridge and up a hill. I left at 1:00 and returned 3:30 and I did the complete trail. The trails have a lot of roots across them, be careful. I would rate this trail easy until you get the the end loop which most people probably skip but I found the most rewarding. The first 3 miles are fairly flat once you crest the top of the first hill, and follows the shoreline with great views and smells of the ocean. 3 miles in there is a sea lion viewing area and right after that you cross across the road and the trail gets steep. I had trekked most of the trails along the path but never did all of them at once. I wore one backpack and took 32 oz. of water, banana and cliff bar. Towards the end of the loop there is an old home foundation that people have went in and graffiti and I found a cache with people's names which I signed. My phone was unable to connect so keep that in mind. Thanks for reading! ✌️

Doug DeShazer

One that was almost forgotten. Did this one with my wife on an anniversary trip 2 years ago. A beautiful area.

Beautiful loop that's mostly unpaved with amazing views of the ocean. Love this spot.

The most gorgeous hike around the bay. Panoramic views are spectacular.

The first half of the trail is by far the most incredible part. I took all day just exploring the first half of this trail. The second half, although there were sea lions, wasn't as interesting as it was mostly in the woods or alongside the road, but my opinion is biased due to my love and preference of the sea and the rocky Oregon coast.

great trail. lots to see.

Beautiful views and mostly well maintained

Relatively flat hike, with a few small hills sprinkled in. Really nice views of the ocean, some sections have multiple trails, very few of which are marked. There are plenty of places to watch the waves and take a break, along with a nice Botanical garden just off the trail.

I loved this trail. Being from the southeastern US this trail was totally different from the trails I normally hike. Amazing views. Highly recommend. Trail was muddy in spots but no too bad.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Awesome Oregon Coast Trail! Great viewpoints along the way and easy enough for everyone to enjoy. It would be great to pack a lunch and enjoy at one of the many benches along the trail overlooking the coastline. I would definitely come back and spend some more time here at different times of the year.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

I live in North Bend and this is the best ocean walk in the area. If you only have time for one hike this is the right one.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Great way to spend time with family and enjoy the beautiful views

Monday, July 25, 2016

The most gorgeous views. I'll never get tired of being here.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Easy hike with stunning views!!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

This trail has so much beauty. I'm one of the lucky ones who can call this area home. I hike here rain or shine in every season. You get the beauty of trees and the ever changing shore. You are sure to see sea lions, wild flowers, wild mushrooms, and much more. I recommend this hike to anyone!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Gorgeous! This trail never disappoints me!

Friday, May 20, 2016

This is a wonderful hike that's easy for most people. Combine this trial and go all the way to Cape Arago for a great half day hike. One of our favorites in Oregon.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Neat little area stayed near by on bastendorf beach. Amature rock climbing off trail fun little spot

Sunday, May 08, 2016

What a great hike. Spectacular vistas, nice woods, beach access in a few places. I am definitely going back to this park.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Nice hike, lots of paths to explore.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Absolutely beautiful hidden Gem... The hike itself is pretty easy and clear cut. There are plenty of smaller cut out trails that lead to breathtaking views. I would highly recommend any and everyone to take this Hike...

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Just beautiful and well maintained

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Easy hike with great views.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Spectacular calender type views of rocky shore and surf . Well maintained but no signs. Appears to be part of Oregon coast trail but not sure due to lack of signs. Goes past Simpson Reef viewing area for great view of seal and sea lion area, on way to Cape arago. A botanical garden is on route as well

Thursday, August 14, 2014

This is one of the most beautiful and well-maintained trails I have hiked. According to the rangers, the trailhead is near Sunset Beach (if you go left into the parking lot, the small bridge right next to the restrooms) and the name is pronounced Air-uh-go. The path winds up and then is relatively flat for the rest of the trail. It has a number of wonderful offshoots, like the short (0.2-mile) Norton Gulch trail down to the water (and small waterfall). If you make it down toward the end, there are in an insane number of seals (?) on the rocks that you can hear for most of the trail. Otherwise, it winds through fertile woods along a rocky sea cliff.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Great hike with beautiful scenery and ocean views.