Strawberry Lake and Little Strawberry Lake Trail

Strawberry Lake and Little Strawberry Lake Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Prairie City, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from County road 60: Take County road 60 about 12 miles south of Prairie City to Strawberry Campground. Take Strawberry Basin Trail #375 to intersection with Slide Basin #372. Follow turnoff to lake.

Great area to go backpacking. You can connect several of the trails to make a multi-day trip, just make sure you have a map to know which trails to choose.

Anyway, giving a little trail update here. Snow is all gone at Strawberry Lake. Snow is still present on the trail up to Little Strawberry Lake, a lot of snow! The trail completely disappears after the waterfall. I used a map and just followed in the general direction of where Little Strawberry Lake was and I eventually made it there. Little Strawberry Lake was still mostly (90%) frozen over. There was a clear patch of ground big enough for a couple of 1 man tents by the lake, but other than that the whole area is still covered in deep snow. Very beautiful though, and if you're an experienced hiker who knows how to use a map you'll make it there no problem. We hiked back down after having a snack at Little Strawberry and camped at the main lake (Strawberry Lake). Lots of trout activity at Strawberry Lake, though I didn't have any luck with my tenkara rod.

This trail run is a bit tricky because you get to the lake and feel that you may have done it but there is still a significant amount of elevation to go. In addition, you can go on either side of the Strawberry Lake (straight left is shorter). It can be hard to find the ascending trail that goes to Little Strawberry Lake but remember up and left always. Lots of people and dogs even in November. Trees were dead and downed, many across the trail; not the most attractive run. Saw a few deer. The run took about 2 hours including getting slightly off track and stopping for photos.

I really loved backpacking the Strawberry Wilderness. We spent the weekend making our way to the summit, stopping for a night at Strawberry lake and a couple nights at Little Strawberry. There was an insane amount of wildlife while we were there! Our favorite were the mountain goats you could see from Little Strawberry. I strongly suggest waiting until late summer as the mosquitoes are bad bad until mid August. Take on the summit if you feel up for it!

my memory was wrong. it's another mile and a half to the falls. I went back to hike to the lake alone. it was so serene and tranquil.

I love the strawberry wilderness! the hike is nice. moderate. my husband and I hiked to the lake. then it's a little further (half mile or so, if my memory is correct) to get to the falls, which are a beautiful sight.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Amazing Lake! Jaw dropping beauty. I've hiked to Strawberry Lake and Little Strawberry five different times and it's always perfect. I've hiked it as early as May and as late as on Halloween. Strawberry Lake is simply one of those places you'll never forget.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Monday, July 11, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Friday, July 08, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Do it

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hiked May 15. Still a good amount of snow on trail, up to 2 feet in places. Saw no one else. Lake still half frozen. Beautiful time to visit!