Stein Butte Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,480 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a tough hike but very rewarding. It's mostly uphill for about 5 miles (note that it's 5 miles to the summit, so if you include the hike back, it's about 10 miles total). There are plenty of great spots to take a break. Lots of great old growth trees and interesting spots along the way. There's a great clearing about 2/3 of the way up the trail that has some rewarding views if you don't want to make it all the way to the butte summit. Luckily when you reach the bottom again you're right at the Applegate lake so you can cool off!

My friend and I loved this trail. We drove from Sacramento for this hike most definitely worth the drive. Yes this hike is strenuous, but worth it. The views half way up are great, but the views at the top are so amazing. We did see two snakes on the trail, so keep an eye out! Take lunch and have a picnic on top of the mountain . Also, during the warmer months make sure to bring enough water! It is basically 5 miles straight up.. it took us a little less than 5 hours up and back, but we got caught in the rain and jogged down a little bit!

recorded Stein Butte Trail

Great trail! About 2/3 in you get a nice view, but if you’ve gone that far it’s worth going to the top! Beautiful view!

Don’t do this one fasting! It’s pretty strenuous. I got to the first summit before having to call it a day because I was so hungry! Can’t wait to try again!

Great trail! Well maintained. All incline 5 miles to the top, totally worth it. Even on a cloudy day we were able to enjoy some views! Took us 3hrs 15min, but we ran down a portion of it. Walking only, I’d say plan 4hrs.

Great hike! No snow on the trail right now. Started around 9AM and finished around 1:30PM. Bit steep at some points but really straight forward hike. Only thing to be aware of is ticks. They are very abundant right now and not only on this hike. We pulled about 25 and counting from our dog so far.

Such a fun and beautiful hike! Pretty steep near the top and at the beginning! The last second half is along the crest which has some really beautiful views!

Great trail. Did this on 3/12/20. Took us about 4 hours and 15 minutes. The first 2.5 miles are uphill and shady, but then you get to the ridge and you get absolutely amazing views. After the ridge about 3.5 miles in, theres a ton of poison oak so be careful! The summit was amazing and there’s a nice place to sit and eat some lunch. You get views of the Applegate lake and snow peaked mountains. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail. Overall, wasn’t very difficult.

Decided to head out here on a quiet Tuesday morning and was not disappointed. First 2.5 miles are up switchbacks pretty steadily, but once you get to the ridge line it’s smooth sailing. Didn’t encounter one other person which was amazing . Beautiful views at the top .

Great hike. Trail is in great condition.

This is wonderfully groomed trail for multi use. I hear that is thanks to volunteers from the local motorcycle club. There is nothing extremely difficult and the trail is easy on the feet. So many different landscapes. the views are spectacular. I went just over 4 miles and thought I'd seen about all there was so I turned back after the second open ridge. Perhaps I should have continued. I think I must have been close to the Stein Butte lookout that I see pictured. But, all said, it was a good day.

I enjoyed this hike! Great cardio workout, uphill to the top. Bring a bug net, I cannot believe how many bugs were flying around my face. The views are outstanding.

7/21/19 Nice summit with great views. Trail head easy to find just after the parking lot on the right. Moderately buggy at points. Did encounter two rattlesnakes in less shady portions of train.

So much poison oak. All around the trail and growing into the trail. Steep incline. Great workout and beautiful views at the top.

Great hike. AMAZING view from the top. The south west side of the top has a really tall cliff that has an amazing view of what I believe is the Red Buttes and surrounding mountains. One down side was there was A LOT of poison oak. I have a rash from it and only stayed on the trail and tried to spot every bit of poison oak that was close to the trail or growing over the trail. When it was over the trail it would just be a branch or some leaves that if you were careful one probably could avoid (but I tried and have 2 small p.oak rashes).

Decent trail. Someone in the parks department needs to level out the first 2.5 miles. Way too hilly. I saw at least one rattler and maybe a wolf and heard a boat engine that sounded like a bear.

Definitely a hard hike as the 1st 2.25 miles are a beast with 1450ft climb then very manageable after that. Views from the top are amazing. Make sure to bring sunscreen. No real complaints other than a few mosquitoes near trailhead parking area.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Such a beautiful hike. Uphill for the first 2 to 2.5 miles and then the trail opens up for a ridge hike mixed with a mountainside hike with views all around. After those initial 2 miles the sun is more intense. I saw a black bear cub at about 3 or 3.5 miles in, but nothing on the way back. I had the trail to myself, despite the park being busy at the bottom. Headed up at around 11:30, spent an hour at the top, and was back to the trail head at 4.

Fri Apr 19 2019

This was a 9.5 mile out and back trail to Stein Butte at 4400 ft. You start at Applegate Lake around 2000ft. The way getting there was entirely uphill and there were quite a few bugs for the first 2.5 miles until you reach the ridgeline. Once you reach the ridgeline the hike is beautiful, there are views in all directions. It is a more gradual climb once you reach this area with the first 2.5 miles covering nearly 1500ft in elevation gain. Had the trail entirely to myself, took around 3 hours hiking with a nice 90-minute lunch at the top.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Easy to navigate trail but it was more challenging than expected. It was pretty much incline all the way up and there is nowhere to get water so you must pack about a gallon and snacks. We brought our dogs and they came back with multiple Ticks. It was a beautiful view at the top so overall it was worth it. Just pack smart it's closer to 10miles. No one else on the trail when we went end of January.

Thu Jan 17 2019

I hiked this Trail on Sunday January 13th it is a great Trail with gradual climbs I believe the mileage is off a little bit my tracking said it was 10.7 miles from the trailhead to the lookout and back. I would definitely recommend it the views from on top 4 spectacular of the red Buttes

Sun Dec 23 2018

Beautiful view from the top

Mon Jun 25 2018

Beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains. My InReach Explorer said the total hike was 10.4 miles, and the first 3.1 miles up were pretty steady incline through not so interesting forest. Then there is a clearing along the ridge line for a bit, and back to forest a bit more. The final push up to the lookout is the hardest part. Because of the views only being a small portion of the total hike I only give it four stars, and would've given three if not for the lake view and proximity. I would not recommend this trail for backpacking. I had planned on backpacking but ended up hiking back to the trailhead and camping at one of the nearby dispersed spots on the California side. It was a great workout carrying an extra heavy pack with the water in 95 degree heat (start early bc it didn't start heating up until around 11 and was chilly before that)! But not a hard enough trail where you couldn't hike to the top and back in one go and still have time in your day to enjoy the lake. It allows horses, so the trail isn't very difficult other than the moderate elevation gain. Also like someone else said, there are no good spots to camp out on the trail. Not worth it. Just hike it, and bring lots of water.

Fri May 25 2018

Really enjoyed this one! Hiked it early in the AM. Temps started in the low 50's near the TH. By noon it was almost 80! Only saw 2 others on the trail... most parked at the trailhead to access Applegate Lake.

Wed May 23 2018

Great winter hike, moderate and gentle uphills.

Sat Apr 28 2018

first 2.5-3 miles are super boring. just trees. then you hit the ridgelone with amazing views and its good after that. some rocky sections of trail, lots of bugs absolutely stunning views at top had trail to myself today

Thu Apr 26 2018

this was a great hike once you get to the top. I would do a day hike again, but not an over night hike. camping is very limited and taking 48 pounds up that incline is brutal for the average hiker like myself. if your an advanced hiker then absolutely do it. The views are amazing.

Sun Apr 15 2018

Beautiful. Trail was well maintained and easy to follow. AMAZING views of the lake and surrounding mountains.

Tue Apr 10 2018

Total distance was almost 10 miles on the dot. Great views of snowy mountains and Applegate Lake. Uphill all the way up, so I would suggest doing this in cooler weather. Rewarding view at the top.

Tue Mar 27 2018

Great hike. Trail was very easy to follow and was challenging but not too tough. It's a fairly gradual climb and not just a whole bunch of switchbacks. There are a few good views on the way up and the panoramic view from the top is definitely worth it. Took about 4.5 hours total from start to finish including some time at the top for lunch. Minimal snow on the trail (3/26/18), no problem with regular hiking shoes. The gps pin on the app is spot on with parking right by the trailhead. This was probably my favorite hike in Oregon so far. We didn't see any wildlife during our hike but did hear some deep growling fairly close to us that I assume was a bear near the top. Just something to keep in mind.

Sat Mar 17 2018

Strenuous! Great views...we went in August...too hot! I recommend going in Spring or Fall!