Stein Butte Trail

Stein Butte Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from Ruch: Travel south on County Road 859 13 miles past the Star Ranger Station to the junction with Carberry Creek road. Turn left and continue one mile to the Seattle Bar trailhead.

nice shade cover for 95% of the trail. breezy view at the top. wildflowers blooming along the trail. The manzanitas had lots of bumblebees

Excellent trail - one of my favorites! It's definitely a good workout (pretty much straight uphill the entire way to the butte), but so worth it for the views at the top of Stein Butte. It is black bear country, so you will want to talk out loud to let anything know you are coming. Also, beware of ticks in the spring months of March - May. We went the first weekend of April, and had some issues with ticks. In my experience, they normally don't recede until June.
It's roughly 5 miles from the start of the trailhead to the top of Stein Butte, and you also have the option of making a more intense (albeit slightly shorter) return trip by continuing on the trail that winds past the butte and descends STEEPLY for a few miles past a couple of old mine adits, before spitting you out onto a Forest Service road (which you can then walk along back to your car).

Great trail. Well maintained. Exhausted after but it was totally worth it. We went this month (March) which was accidentally a really good time since it was the perfect temperature. Unfortunately I wasn't expecting the ticks to be out in full force and I pulled over 20 off of my dog, fortunately only two stuck. So be prepared with a tick collar or something for your canine pals. Other than that loved the hike!

great hike!

The scenery was beautiful and the hike was just enough of a workout for me

Lovely absolutely

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

This is a tough hike but very rewarding. It's mostly uphill for about 5 miles (note that it's 5 miles to the summit, so if you include the hike back, it's about 10 miles total). There are plenty of great spots to take a break. Lots of great old growth trees and interesting spots along the way. We encountered a couple of rattlesnakes and saw some fresh bear scat, so use caution. There's a great clearing about 2/3 of the way up the trail that has some rewarding views if you don't want to make it all the way to the butte summit. Going up at a leisurely pace took us about 4 hours (stopping for breaks frequently). We made the descent in about 2 hours. Luckily when you reach the bottom again you're right at the Applegate lake so you can cool off!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

It was a challenge! So many silk worm webs everywhere twords the top... Bring a ton of water... And someone to carry you back

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Loved the views on this one! Beautiful during the springtime!

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Long trail, with steady incline. At times felt it would never end, but once you got 2 miles in there was a clearing with amazing views of both coastal mountains and the valley. At the summit it was absolutely breathtaking! Pack lots of water and snack to reward yourself at the top! Took about 3 hours round trip. But totally worth every second. :)

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Stein Butte is a really awesome trail if you have the time to go! I would recommend going on a clear day, so that you can see the lovely view at the top. The instructions for getting there say that it is on Seattle Bar Trail, but it is actually across the street, don't be fooled. ;)
Bring lots of water! And take your time!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Great nearly 10miler. Beautiful terrain all the way with plenty of variation. Moderately intense up; then up and down along the ridge-line to the butte. Viewpoints with stunning vistas of the Applegate lake and the Red Buttes wilderness. Definitely one of the hikes you want to do in southern OR. Option to jump in the lake after the long hike as the trailhead is down at the lake and next to a park. Only buggy area is at the trailhead and the first mile. After that, you are in the clear.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Beautiful sunny day for a hike on November 9, 2013. This roundtrip hike is closer to 9.8 miles then the stated 4.9. The start of this hike is steady uphill. It levels out for a short time then you continue upward. The very last part to get to the top is fairly steep with lots of loose rocks and you should carefully navigate your steps both up and down. Once on top, the views are beautiful.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

A friend and I hiked this today.. Let me tell you, it took longer than we thought (planned on 5 hours and even though I'm a seasoned day hiker, got back to the car 6 hours later!), and did not reach the summit. We started our hike at 9:20, and after almost 4.5 hours of hiking, we decided to start our way back. We stopped often to rest, and to take pictures. This surly added to the time..However, we saw the summit from about 1/4-1/2 mile away, before turning around. The climb is steady, but not too difficult. The last 1/10th is supposed to be the hardest.. Bring plenty of water! Bring plenty of bug spray! Bring bear deterrent or other protection. I've ran into black bears in this area before, and there was plenty of fresh scat and other sign on the trail.
We will be back to get it done!! :) beautiful views!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Excellent trail with excellent views. The first leg of the trip is pretty steep but once you reach the ridge line you'll remember why you chose this hike. I arrived at the trailhead at 6:30am and arrived back at the car 4 hours and 15 minutes later (including 45 mins at the top). I noticed some really fresh scat on the way down (looked like fox or bobcat) so I kept a stick to make some noise with.

Monday, January 02, 2012

Probably was not the best time to hike, it was hot and we were exposed to the elements (Sun) there were lots of nats of some sort that contributed to our arms hurting from waving them away.

I was excited to reach the " Lookout" that was constructed by The Civilian Conservation Corps. 4400 Ft Elev. 1936-1968