Steelhead Falls

Steelhead Falls is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Terrebonne, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A retreat from the desert heat provides a great swimming spot for everyone! If you're tired of climbing at Smith Rock or burned out from mountain biking in the summer heat, then head on over to Steelhead Falls for a quick dip and a hike along a quiet desert river.

Fairly easy hike, with some moderately steep parts, but overall barely broke a sweat. Worth the short trek! Incredibly beautiful waterfall, with many small swimming spots. Didn’t fish, but could see lots of large trout swimming around. Also, looks like there are nice camping spots just down the dirt street from the trailhead.

Hiked in September with my dog and really enjoyed it. Easy to moderate with a few rough spots but overall very nice. You will want to use a trail shoe for traction as the dusty trail can be a bit slippery the slanted portions .

This is a fun trail. I went with my friend who is a good hiker like me. It’s labeled as moderate which is accurate because some parts can be steep or rocky. Another group jumped off the cliff into the deeper water but we found sandy spots and swam. It’s very short but good for a hot day. There’s lots of lizards to find, be carful not to step on them!! Bring water, it definitely gets very hot in the summer. The road to the trail has many random turns but no service for GPS so take note of how to get back to the main road.

Beautiful hike. Sad the garbage we carried out that wasn’t ours. We were fishing and did the fishing trail adjacent to the hiking trail. Saw a eaten baby elk and cougar prints. Nothing was left but the hooves and hind legs. Caught some brown trout hiked to the falls ten walked back. Super easy hike. It elevates a tiny bit and slippery dust texturally but I walked it in water shoes and a swim suit.

Shirt 1/2 mike trail just challenging enough to make it fun. You don’t have to trek back to the falls to enjoy the river as there are lots of places to sit and put your feet in. But it’s super cold!

We went on this hike in February. It was chilly and we only ran into a couple other groups. Beautiful area, a short hike to the waterfall. You can enjoy this in just a couple hours.

Lovely area - long drive in for a short trail though. We took a lot of time to explore the area with the kids. Perfect length for youngers (or orders) who can’t travel as far but enjoy a destination.

Nice quick day hike. The falls are only about 0.5 miles from trail head. We went just beyond the endpoint indicated on this site. I think you could go further but trail started getting overgrown. The second half of hike is mostly exposed, so be aware in warmer days.

A comment on a previous post that likened the difficulty to Everest. Not. At. All. I wore some worn out slick bottom running shoes (traveling) and had no problem on the trail. Saw no BIG steps. The trail splits at times, with some skirting the edge, the others staying up high. Just pick your lines and choose the hike you want. NBD. As we returned people were coming down the trail in street clothes and flip flops. That’s the difficulty level.

Great short hike to impressive falls. No trouble following the trail and no sense of it being too narrow or dangerous as other posts implied. The color of the water is an amazing complement to the surrounding rock. Several people were jumping from the rocks into the pool below the falls. Looked like fun.

Listen, I read this and thought oh how nice, a short hike rated as “easy” and decided to go on a 90 degree July day. I also read a review that someone did it in flip flops and that it was fine. I thought “perfect, I’ll wear my sandals and we can spend the day at the water and relax.” WRONG! This trail is narrow and is on the side of a cliff and it’s slippery due to dust from being so dry. This trail is very inclined and even has a set of giant steps. GIANT STEPS AREN’T EASY! The trail even slants sideways at one point and this is where we decided to turn around because of our lack of proper shoes and not being able to pass it without fear of slipping down. We were about 1/4 mile in if that... so the good lord only knows what the rest of your “easy” rated trail entailed. I don’t know who you guys are trying to kid with your reviews. But it’s very frustrating to drive 40 minutes expecting a cake walk and to find mount Everest’s ugly sister.

The water was pretty though, what we saw of it.

Fairly easy hike. A few steep parts. You can get down to water at several places. Falls are amazing and it seems so is the fishing.

One of the best waterfalls I’ve seen. Maybe because I’m biased and love central Oregon so much, though! The water is so green / light blue. Fun spot to jump off rocks :)

Hit this trail on a hot day it was perfect. The trail is easy with great views and the cliff jumping was awesome!!

Easy hike, falls we’re not as big as I thought they would be. But a good cliff jumping and swimming spot!

This is the best place to go cliff jumping in Central Oregon. do not even attempt to go on a weekend though. It gets way too crowded. But if you have time on a hot week day, it's the best place to be! very easy hike. I did it in flip flops.

great easy hike for my 6 and 4 year old. falls are beautiful and trail is in decent shape. A little too crowded for a fifth star.

Amazing hike! Well marked. You definitely should wear hiking boots. The falls are amazing!

This hike was absolutely beautiful felt like I walked out of the desert into a canyon oasis. Trail does need a bit of maintenance and I would definitely wear good shoes but it is easy enough for kids or dogs. Great fishing along the river as well.

Beautiful!
But for the elderly or for the two in our group with hip issues, this is NOT an easy hike!

easy walk down with great views.

Easy quick walk. I only give it 4 stars because of how steep+slick some areas are. I won’t be taking my little kiddos on this hike. It was cool for 2 adults though!

This was a beautiful hike. I am over weight and made this trip. I did struggle a little bit as some spots are washed out and some are rocky. Easy road to path, bathroom in parking lot. No fee parking.

Not a trail that you can take a stroller but the kiddos ranging from 5-11 years where able to walk the trail carefully of course.

Fantastic falls! Short hike with great payoff! Good for families (youngest is 10). Bring your camera!

little slick

easy to get to for a quick and easy walk. the falls are a nice place for a quick rest before turning around. looked like the trail went on although we didn't go past the falls. looked like a nice place for fishing along the trail and swimming just past the falls

perfect easy hike, I suggest you keep on going after checking out the falls!

Great trail. Took my kiddos ages 12 and 9 they did awesome and enjoyed the hike, I think their favorite part was seeing a bald eagle.

Short beautiful hike. Did it today with the husband and minions, ages 6 and 8. Only .05 miles to the falls from the trailhead. We’ll be back when it’s warmer.

Nice hike in and out. Falls are beautiful.